Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Wanderful: A question on Chantilly and the races

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just browsing for info on Chantilly. We will be there in May and the horses will be running that day. I have always wanted to go there. I have been to Longchamp and want to experience Chantilly and the town and chateau, but mostly the races. I am looking at the france-galop website and I am not the best French reader/speaker. I cannot find when the 1st race goes off. In other words when do the races begin? Thanks.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:38 AM

They always start races at the beginning of June at Chantilly. That website doesn't seem to even list a 2007 schedule, anyway, the one they have is 2006.

I saw a listing in one events guide that said the Prix du Jockey Club is Sunday, June 3rd, so that could be the first race of the year, although I saw other schedules from last year that suggested they often have a race the Friday before that, or June 1st.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:43 AM

Opaldog:

So you will be going to Chantilly in May, perhaps the 2nd, 9th, 19th, or 22nd. I hope to be there on May 9.

I seem to recall that the first race begins around
1:30, about the same time as Longchamp. I spent time at the chateau and the adjacent grounds in the morning (well worth the the time and effort), then walked from there to the race course. I didn’t have time that morning to visit the historic stable area, which I believe is part museum and forms a marvelous dramatic backdrop when the races are on. I took a cab from the train station to the chateau in the morning but after the races, I opted to walk from the race course to the station. It was very manageable. After the first few races, I wandered up to the race course restaurant and treated myself to lunch, which was expensive, and to the view, which overlooked the stretch.

Glad to see you visited Longchamp. I hope to be there on May 13 for two important Group One races for 3-year-olds, important preps for the French Derby in June (at Chantilly).

Going to the races in France is great fun. It’s almost never discussed on this website.

Hope this helps. If you need more specifics, I will happily provide what I can.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:52 AM

Christina:

Actually, France Galop posted their 2007 schedule earlier than they did last year. If you go to their website (france-galop.com), then click on either reunion par date or reunion par hippodrome, you’ll get racing dates by the month or by the race course. Chantilly’s first Thoroughbred card is actually on March 24, then there’s a break and they resume there on May 2.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

I hope to be there on the 9th. We only have 3 days in Paris (side trip from Rome) but I have always talked to my husband about wanting to go to Chantilly during race season. Thanks wanderful for the info. When we went to Longchamp in '99, we were the only english speaking bettors that I could hear. It was a great experience. The woman at the information desk gave me a poster of the Arc de Triomphe which I have framed as a reminder of a nice day at the track.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:18 PM

I thought it was kind of odd they didn't have a current schedule, but that section is sure difficult to find on the website, I think. I think I looked under Prix du Jockey or something and saw the dates were from 2006.

I did finally find the "reunion par date" listing, but it's rather small print and doesn't stick out so it took me a long time to find it even when I knew I was looking for those words, but I did finally seee it.

Well, I'm not going anyway, but I guess they have something June 2nd, after all. I did used to like to go to the horse races, though, although I always liked trotters myself.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Wanderful, I just reread your post. You mentioned the Group one races for 3 year olds. I can tell that you frequent horse tracks. Have you ever been to any races in Rome? I have found that they have a flat track outside the city in the direction of CIA airport. Have you been to other racetracks in Europe?
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 08:53 AM

opaldog:

I haven’t made it to any race courses in Italy ... yet. Oddly enough, you can bet on a major Italian race at Longchamp on May 13, the day of their two Group One mile races, one for for 3-year-old colts, the other for 3-year-old fillies. They simulcast it, I believe from the Rome course you mention. The caliber of racing in Italy is at least one step below that of the competition in France and England, though they have significant Group One events in Italy, and I’m sure the spectacle is well worth watching. I’ve never traveled to Ireland, but their premier race course, the Curragh, has racing in May, if I’m not mistaken. (I’m speaking of flat racing, not harness or the jumps.)

I’m going to be in Paris from May 3 through 16 and in addition to plans for day trips to Giverny and Chartres, I hope to attend the races at Chantilly (May 9), Longchamp (May 13), and Saint Cloud (May 14). I’ve never been to Saint Cloud, and, like Chantilly, it’s also convenient from Paris.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

wanderful: I have located a website for the track outside of Rome, but it's in Italian and I'm not fluent. I also have a limited time in Rome and have never been, so I think we'll skip the track (don't even know if they are meeting). I have been to the Curragh and it was a nice experience, even though it was raining and cold (March). I am also surprised that you don't read more on fodor's about racing venues in Europe. My aim is to get to some races in England.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:04 AM

opaldog:

I was actually surprised to see Longchamp mentioned in my Frommer’s Paris 2007. Racing is generally not mentioned at all in the standard guidebooks. Too bad, because it would be a nice break for many from the standard, well-trodden tourist paths. If you’re interested in English racing, you’re probably already aware of the Racing Post’s very user-friendly website. It also provides ample information about what’s happening in France and Ireland, and offers occasional updates about racing in Japan, Dubai, Australia, and even the U.S.

Note: I happen to live about 15 minutes from Saratoga Race Course, hence, my mania for the sport.