Walking vs public transportation in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to have a short stay in Paris - only 3 days, and probably use Fodors "Best in 3 days" itinerary (or something close to it). Would it be possible to walk everywhere (except the boat ride) instead of using subway or buses?
In Rome and Florence we never had to use public transportation. In Rome we stayed near Piazza del Popolo and had to get to Colloseum. After waiting for 10 min at a bus stop, we opted for a walk, and never regretted it.
Old May 20th, 2003, 04:30 PM

Paris is quite compact, mainly flat and easy to walk around.

A couple of weeks ago my 66 year old Dad and I walked from our hotel in the 9th through shopping passages all the way to the La Samarataine department store on the Seine, over to the Marais for dinner then back to the Seine for an evening look at the Eiffel Tower.

He was a bit tired so we took the Metro back to the hotel, but I'm 42 and could have easily walked back to it.

The more I walk in Europe the more I enjoy it.
Old May 20th, 2003, 04:34 PM

Depending upon what you'd like to see...absolutely! Very walkable city.
Old May 20th, 2003, 04:37 PM

especially if you stop here and there at cafés to peoplewatch and have something to refresh you.
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:33 PM

You can walk everywhere, but the Paris metro is SO MUCH nicer then the Rome subway or bus system. Don't hesitate to use it. I actually learned the bus system in Rome after one memorable experience on the Rome subway with a rather "excited" man!
Old May 20th, 2003, 06:59 PM

On a few of my trips to Paris I have never set foot on the Metro - and other trips I have used it quite a lot.

but 90% or more of everything you will want to see on a short visit really are withing walking distance.

The weather makes a big difference - if it is pouring rain you would likely use the Metro more, walking less.
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:04 PM

Well, it obviously depends on what you plan to see and do and where your hotel is located, but essentially, yes, you can see Paris on foot (it's a small city).
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:07 PM

Montmartre might be a bit far to walk, depending on where you start from. To give you an idea, look at a city/tourist map of Paris - from the Arc de Triomph to the Louvre is about 2 miles (roughly), and can be walked or strolled very easily.
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:11 PM
ed

The bus takes a bit of study to use but it is well worth it, if for no other reason you can see more than just walls.
Old May 21st, 2003, 05:53 AM

I agree that the Paris metro is extremely easy to learn and use. We both walked and used the metro (in order to save time on some days). That would be my suggestion.

Have fun! Paris is a fabulous place.

Old May 21st, 2003, 06:53 AM

Taking a bus now and then will shorten your walking time while offering views of the city rather than stairs and tunnels. Routes are well marked on signs at the stops. But the key to using the system is to bring a copy of The Paris Mapguide by Michael Middleditch, which shows bus routes on major streets. Five examples of lines with lots of interest are 42, 69, 80, 92 and 96. Routes can be found on:

http://www.citefutee.com/orienter/bus.php

Old May 21st, 2003, 08:11 AM

I plan to do a lots of walking in Paris with my 9 year old grandchild....Of course if we are going to the Sacre Coeur or ST.Denis Cathedral I will take the metro..Also on this trip ,I plan to spend a lots of time in the park, it will give a chance to Trevor to play, run.. I wished that i had his energy!!!I dont mind to miss the Museums on this trip.. I have been to Paris numerous times and each time I go back I bring a member of the family. I quit counting of how many times that I have been to the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, Sacre Coeur etc..,
I dont mind a bit, I have been in love with Paris since the first time I saw it, when I was a teenager, and feel very fortunate to be able to go back so often..
Old May 25th, 2003, 04:31 AM

The advantage of walking is that you don't miss out on the "hidden" shops and cafés you would miss if you took the Metro, bus, whatever.

So if you're in shape for it and the weather is nice - WALK!
Old May 25th, 2003, 06:14 AM

If you're going for only three days, and you have an itinerary in mind (good for you!) then I'd think this way.
Start out each day going to your farthest destination for the day, using the metro, save some time.
As you head back or continue your day, you will probably find that no one segment of the walk is more than 5-10 blocks, so don't bother with the metro.
Old May 25th, 2003, 06:34 AM

I think Elaine's advice is right on, combined with Ron's suggestion to use buses. We've just returned from Paris, where for a few days week before last, the Metro was slow in spots due to "social action". We figured out how to get to our furthest points, then, as Elaine suggests, walked between sights or grabbed a bus. The trouble with the lines eased by Friday the 16th, so we did use the Metro on the weekend.