Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris hotel in the 9th, 11th or 15th for parents first trip to Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents are planning to take a 7 day tour of Paris & London with Monograms Tours. This is their first time to Europe and it will be their 40th wedding anniversary, so I've been trying to find information on the three hotels they can choose from in Paris. I'll rank the three from cheapest to most expensive:

1. Novotel Paris Tour Eiffel (15th district)
61 quai de Grenelle
http://www.novotel.com/gb/hotel-3546...fel/room.shtml

2. Crowne Plaza Paris Republique (11th district)
10 Place De La Republique
http://www.hotels.com/ho163380/crown...-paris-france/

3. Radisson Blu Ambassador Paris Opera
16, boulevard Haussmann
http://www.radissonblu.com/ambassadorhotel-paris

The priorities for my parents are that the hotel is clean, in a safe location, and close to the center of Paris. While in Paris, they will have one day with the tour, and a day and a half on their own. Since they will have to get dinners on their own, they would like to be near an area with lots of choices for cafes, restaurants, patisseries, etc.

My father is a bit nervous about using the metro, so they will most likely be using taxis, so it's not that important how close the hotel is to transportation.

I'm haven't stayed in any of these areas, but I think the Novotel is closest to most tourist destinations - am I wrong? In terms of restaurants, I'm not sure if the Novotel is the worst out of all three.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 09:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>I think the Novotel is closest to most tourist destinations - am I wrong?</i>"

Actually - the Novotel is farthest from most sites/attractions (except for the Eiffel Tower).

The other two are more convenient for sites and transport IMO.

I'd personally probably choose the Crowne Plaza because it is mid-priced but still a decent-ish location.

(This is just <u>another</u> reason to avoid tours - for a first-time Paris visit there are better areas to stay)
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 10:01 PM

You have to choose the Radisson Blu Ambassador Paris Opera
16, boulevard Haussmann. It has a fantastic restaurant. It is close to everything. If you turn right when you come out of the Hotel the grand department stores - Le Printemp & Galeries Lafayette are just 5 minutes. Plenty of restaurants to choose from. The Palais Garnier the most opulent Opera House is just 7 minutes down the boulevard. Even though it is in the 9th when you cross the road you are in the 2nd arrondissment. The Metro is very easy - it works on a colour + number + destination. The metro station is Richelieu Drouot and that takes you to Tocadero to see the lights on the hour after dark on the Eiffel tower... You can take a bus to the Louvre or walk it in 20 minutes.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 11:08 PM

I would take number 3, poppyinparis is spot on. I personally like the 6th. IMHO, traffic around Haussman is too crazy. Tell your folks the bus and the metro is really easy to navigate. It costs €1.80 for thé bus & €1.70 for thé métro.

Hope they have good time.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies! I didn't realize the Novotel was farther out than both the Crowne Plaza and the Radisson! It really seemed that the Radisson was the most distant from central Paris

Janisj - is the crowne plaza in a better location that the radisson?

Poppy & Goddess - thanks for the replies...is the radisson near the red light district, or is that a completely different area?
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 01:24 AM

I agree that the Radisson Blu Ambassador Paris Opera is the best location for what you described your parents need. It is also only a 15 minute walk from there to the restaurant Le Grand Colbert, which would a wonderful choice for dinner, but there are many other choices in the vicinity as well.

http://www.legrandcolbert.fr/

I don't know what time of year the tour is, but if your parents don't like the Metro, they should try a beautiful ride down the Seine using the Batobus boats. If they stay at the Raddison Blu, it's a 30 minute walk to the Seine, where they can get on the Batobus at the Louvre stop:

http://www.batobus.com/english/

Needless to say, once they are at the Seine, they could also walk to the isles of the Seine and then over into the atmospheric 5th arrondisement, and the beautiful Luxembourg gardens.

http://www.gpsmycity.com/tours/latin...aris-1368.html

If they stay near the Opera, they might like to see the highly ornate interior. Even the lobby, which is free to enter, is astounding.

http://europeforvisitors.com/paris/a...nformation.htm

Finally, if it is raining, the Louvre is walkable and so is Angelina's for tea, pastries, hot chocolate or coffee, and even breakfasts and light lunches

http://www.placesinfrance.com/angeli..._in_paris.html

I hope they have a wonderful time.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 04:52 AM

I agree - the Radisson Blu Ambassador is by far the best located of their three choices.

It's a shame their tour (or most tours, for that matter) don't offer hotel option closer to the river/islands (but that's a whole different topic).
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 05:55 AM

I agree with the other posters that the Radisson is the best location of the three (though not, as also pointed out, the best location for being close to tourist sites, etc).

No, if by red light district you mean Montmartre, it's nowhere near there. The Radisson is in a safe area of Paris.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 05:59 AM

Anna,

I don't know where the red district is located, I always thought it was on an area called Pigalle (18th).
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 06:18 AM

I have stayed at 1 and 2. While I also would not recommend the novotel due to location ( too remote for most sites) it is clean and it is right on the river, so your parents could pick up the batobus at the Eiffel Tower.

I would choose 2 for location and good restaurants within immediate, e.g. two minutes' walk. With such a short time in Paris, I would not want to be in location 3 unless I were planning major shopping. If that is the case, then it's a great location and your parents should try to consolidate all purchases at either Galeries Lafayette or Printemps to maximize VAT (detaxe) refund.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 06:33 AM
ira

Hi Anna,

It is too bad that your parents have chosen to take a 7-day tour of Paris and London, since either city needs at least 1 week to appreciate. In addition, the hotels are neither the best, nor in the best locations.

Unless you are interested in alternatives to the tour, I go with 3.

1 is on the Batobus route.
2 is close to a metro stop
3 is near the Opera Garnier.

Old Nov 21st, 2010, 09:00 AM

I agree that the Radisson is in a posher location but since you posted the options from Cheapest to most expensive I just assumed (maybe incorrectly) that budget is a consideration. If so, I'd still go w/ the Crowne Plaza. If the Radisson isn't a budget buster - go w/ that one.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 09:15 AM

My coworker and travel buddy stayed at the Radisson Ambassador, and enjoyed it. I think it is the best location of the three, close to Opera with good transport links. Republique is more 'out of the way' even though it is a large metro hub. Novotel is definitely not convenient (we stayed there when it was Hotel Nikko).
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 09:21 AM

I'd put the Novotel last, it's just not a convenient location and not an interesting location, either (right around the hotel). I'd choose the Crowne Plaza myself, that used to be the HI and is a historic building, I believe. It is beautiful, and near lots of cafes and restaurants and the metro hub, of course. Now if they are really timid about taking the metro (I'll be honest, I was timid about the NYC subway from the stories I heard and didn't take it for many years after my first visit), the opera location would be better, I guess. I think both would really be fine, so since so many people think they would prefer that (above), that might be a safer choice. Now that is definitely within walking distance of several major dept stores if they want to do some shopping, also.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 10:06 AM

I could be wrong, but I don't think most people are coming down on the side of the Radisson Blu for reasons of shopping or the location being "posher." It's the best located hotel for accessing many of the major sights of Paris by foot. I mentioned one very good classic Parisian restaurant that I like, and a caffe for sweets, but the nearness of the Radisson Blu to the Opera house, plus the the major department stores assures plenty of eateries, cafes and bars, and patisseries abound.

I think all the locations are safe, and will have nice restaurants and cafes nearby, and if the travelers are willing to spring for taxis, or use the bus system, or reconsider the using the Metro, all of them are workable.

I don't know what the price difference is among the hotels, but it sometimes proves the case that when people choose price over location, they end up obliterating the savings by taking taxis.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 10:40 AM

I also want to add that I can't see where it is helpful to the family celebrating the 40th anniversary to use this thread to once more rehearse dogmas and snotty comments about the alleged superiority of never taking tours. There are plenty of good reasons for some people to take tours. There is no cookie-cutter way to do things -- even Paris -- and I have yet to see the trip report where the independent travelers to Paris proved they got a lot more appreciation of the town culturally than those on a tour do. Reading some celebrated Fodorite trip reports, some people's "ideal" independent travel to Paris is plopping near the Eiffel Tower, twiddling around bakeries and hooking up with other America tourists for lunch every day -- and that's It. No art. No music. No history exploration. A tour sounds much more fascinating!
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 06:35 PM

I don't know why people are preferring the Opera location except that a lot of people on Fodors may have never even been to Republique. I note that some people did mention the poshness of the area. Which means cafes and restaurants are more expensive around there. I don't think there is much of anything that close to Opera that is a typical tourist site that they are going to walk to that much -- except the Opera and the Madeleine and the dept stores. I wouldn't want to stay in that area myself as it is so business oriented and kind of a traffic nightmare, so it is just so crowded and noisy around there. That location isn't really the Opera, it's more the Bourse and near the auction house which isn't a very exciting area IMO.

The Republique location is closer to the Marais, the Carnavelet and Picasso and Pompidou musems, and Place des Vosges, etc. It is actually closer to Notre Dame, also, by a bit. The Haussman location is just a bit closer to the Louvre, but they are really both about the same distance from the islands and the Louvre.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

I can't tell everyone enough how much I appreciate all the comments! I should have given more background to my parents trip. My father actually has family he can stay with in Germany, which will be their first destination in Europe, and then they will head down to Paris & London.

Ira - my sister and I have done two trips to Europe on our own so I do agree that I prefer independent travel to tours. However, my parents just don't have the time to research a trip on their own, and they are very hesitant about traveling on their own. I think it's much better that they at least see these two cities, even if it's with a tour.

Zeppole - thank you so much for all the links and kind words. My parents will be going on this tour in mid October 2011. I had thought about the Batobus or the Hop on/Hop off tour buses, but I haven't researched all the routes yet.

Cathinjoetown - what were the pro's and con's of the crowne plaza? What did you think of the location?

Christina - they will probably be using taxis when they are on their own, but I don't think shopping is any real priority. They really want to see the major sights of Paris.

janisj - price is something they are considering, but I don't think it is as important as location. They are more concerned about having lots of options for dining/food.

Is the Crowne Plaza in a less busy area than the Radisson? I have never been to the Republique area, and I'm wondering in terms of appearance, would the area around the Radisson or the Crowne Plaza be more appealing to first time travelers? To put it in my father's words, he doesn't want to stay in any crummy areas!
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 08:49 PM

z: "<i>more rehearse dogmas and snotty comments</i>"

Ad hominem/personal attacks got you in trouble once before -- -- just sayin'

Anna1013: Both hotels are in busy neighborhoods but (at the risk of being attacked yet again) the Radisson IS in a posher area. Neither one is 'crummy'.

I have stayed in generally the same neighborhoods as both hotels - and for convenience to the sites Christina mentions, I'd give a (very) slight nod to the Crowne Plaza. But for first timers, either would be just fine.

(BTW: My comment about 'another' reason tours can be a problem wasn't even directed at your parents. I assume they are happy w/ their choice. My comment was for others who read these boards when researching their own trips. It is a public forum after all. And as the rules/guidelines clearly state - we should >>remain civil and refrain from personal attacks on other posters<<)
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

janisj - thanks for your info. On the map, I'm trying to figure out what districts the Crowne Plaza is located in. Is it on the border of the 10th & 11th districts? From what I can tell, it's also near the 3rd district.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -