Search

Walking tours

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking tours

Hello. I'm wondering if anyone can point me to some good walking tour websites for Paris.

I don't want guided tours...want something like what Rick Steve's has in his books. In fact, do his walks appear anywhere on the web?

I've seen some posted here, but most have been art related, which isn't really what I'm looking for.

Thank you very much for any help!
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 06:02 AM
rex

You can't expect Rick to give everything away for free - - though he used to be a bit more generous with stuff on his website - - now it seems to direct you to but one of this tours on just about every page.

But there is a lot of stuff there, if you google "ricksteves.com paris -graffiti" you will find a number of snippets here and there.

Many public libraries carry his books and videotapes, you know, if you want to keep your money belt in your clothes!

Or try this lady - - don't know if these are worth much or not, but it's only 7.95, and she looks to be trying to emerge? Is she a rising star?

http://www.walkinguides.com/page2.html

Anybody else ever heard of her? I like finding new resources on the web, just as I like finding new stuff when I am actually traveling in Europe.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 06:11 AM

You may also want to grab a walking tour book. I have used Walking Paris by Gilles Desmons and really liked it. This book has 30 walks that explores areas from the Iles St. Louis to Versailles. Easy to follow maps and the text is complete without overwhelming. Walks are also described by categories that include shopping, parks & gardens, river walks etc. I'm sure others can also suggest some titles you might enjoy.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

I just realized I broke my own rule and didn't put the city in my subject line...sorry.

Anyway, I am looking to do this on the cheap. I don't know if I'll use the book, so I don't want to buy it. I might try to time a checkout from the library; I've got the book now but also don't want to spend all day at the copy machine but perhaps that is a good idea.

Thanks, and keep them coming!
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 01:58 PM

What's wrong with the Green Michelin? My copy (admittedly not a lot younger than me) is stuffed with walking tours.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 11:54 AM

HI
Click above on Destinations and check the fodors info for Paris; for major cities fodors often provides walking itineraries, as does frommers.com
Old May 15th, 2004, 12:54 PM

Two good companies: paris-walks.com and Jill Daniels company,whose email address I cannot find right now. The latter was superior, smaller groups and more personalized and open to your questions. For me, walking tours greatly enhance the experience of Paris.
Anybody have Jills email or web site?
Old May 15th, 2004, 12:57 PM

Hi Francophile7, I think we have something in common.
Old May 15th, 2004, 03:47 PM

francophile & francophile....is Jill Daniels the one who does guided tours of the big open market--the one at which many restaurants buy their fresh produce? I don't even know why I can't place the name of the market at the moment...
Old May 15th, 2004, 03:49 PM

The Eyewitness travel guides have a section toward the back where they offer information on some nice walking tours.

There's also a book called Paris Walks by ALison and Sonia Landes that has incredibly detailed walks in a half-dozen areas of Paris.