Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Walking the Dordogne from Village to Village

Walking the Dordogne from Village to Village

Old Aug 21st, 2022, 03:22 AM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking the Dordogne from Village to Village

Hi. l have been trying to plan a walking holiday in the Dordogne in 2023 and not go through a self guide company. I am finding it hard to find maps to see if this is possible. I would love some advice on how to plan this. We will start from Bergerac and end in Les Eyzies. Hopefully this itinerary will be a nice selection of villages in that area. We plan to head to Bordeaux from there then back to Paris.
Hopefully someone out there might be able to help.
annelyon57 is offline  
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 09:56 AM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 57,091
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Annelyon, and welcome to fodors!

This isn't something I've done myself but a bit of surfing the net found this website which looks like a good place to start.

https://ilovewalkinginfrance.com/lon...ing-in-france/

Good luck!
annhig is offline  
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 10:14 AM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 23,749
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Here are the main GR (grande randonnée) trails that go through Dordogne: Les GR et GR des Pays - Comité FFRandonnée Dordogne (ffrandonnee.fr)
kerouac is offline  
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 10:40 AM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 12,092
Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
While I haven't walked in the Dorgogne, I have done 2 long walks in France, the first from chateau to chateau in the Loire, beginning at Chambord, ending in Chinon & the 2nd along the Burgundy Canal which as you can imagine is easier to plan, follow the canal. There are at least 2 basic ways to plan a long walk, one is to follow an established long-distance path (Grandes Randonnées - GRs), the other which I chose given it was the chateaux that interested me, plot your way on a variety of paths. So it seems it's the second approach that would interest you. While doing that would include all the places you want to see, it's a more complicated way to plan and you may find that one of the established GR's will also give you what you want, similar if not exactly the same.

Either way you'll need maps. What you want are the Cartes Randonnée Série Bleue 1:25'000 maps by the IGN (Institut Geographique National), the walker's maps.

Here is a key for all the maps, to locate the ones you need:
https://maps.walkingclub.org.uk/ign-france/top-25-bleu/

Stanford's in London is a reliable source I've used:
https://www.stanfords.co.uk/Advanced...C3%A9rie+bleue

You may find a source more local to you online. I believe IGN offers the maps in online form on their website though I prefer paper maps, especially for planning.

There are some wonderful books on walking in France though maybe you don't need to get into it all at this point.

Also, have a look at Melinda Lusmore's website, a wealth of knowledge on the subject & a lovely Australian woman who is happy to answer questions & give guidance: https://ilovewalkinginfrance.com/

Last edited by MmePerdu; Aug 21st, 2022 at 10:45 AM.
MmePerdu is offline  
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 12:30 PM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,934
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve spent lot of time on the Dordogne river - it’s my favourite river in the world. We have a house 10k. South of the river near Saint Émilion.

I’m not sure about your plan, there are plenty of pretty villages after Lalinde in the Mid Dordogne but the area is very heavily wooded and doesn’t offer great views for much of the time.

Of the villages/ towns near the river, we love Monbazillac, Issigeac, Beaumont, Lalinde (canal walks) , Tremolat, Paunat, Saint Alvere and Limeuil

How many days do you have ?
What sort of accommodation are you looking for ?
Are you looking for ancient footpaths ? Canal paths ? Very small roads ?

My advice would be to head the other way and look at the area between Bergerac and Bordeaux.

Maybe look at the Facebook group - Découvrir la Gironde et son estuaire which consists of many members who are keen walkers and cyclists in thr Bordeaux area - the picture are just stunning.


Last edited by BritishCaicos; Aug 21st, 2022 at 12:37 PM.
BritishCaicos is offline  
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 12:56 PM
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 12,092
Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BritishCaicos
. . . I’m not sure about your plan, there are plenty of pretty villages after Lalinde in the Mid Dordogne but the area is very heavily wooded and doesn’t offer great views for much of the time. . .
I don't believe the OP has mentioned the season in which they plan to walk, but when deciding on a route in potentially hot weather, "heavily wooded" can have distinct advantages over "great views."

MmePerdu is offline  
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 04:11 PM
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MmePerdu
I don't believe the OP has mentioned the season in which they plan to walk, but when deciding on a route in potentially hot weather, "heavily wooded" can have distinct advantages over "great views."
Hi, we plan to walk in either May or October…still deciding. Thankyou for all the replies. We have walked quite a bit in the UK, Spain, Japan & Holland. We are finding the planning in France a bit hard to coordinate. The walk in France will be about 10 days and include some villages we have read about so wanted to try to connect them by walking. We won’t have a car. I am sure it will all work out.

Last edited by annelyon57; Aug 21st, 2022 at 04:52 PM.
annelyon57 is offline  
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 02:31 AM
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 422
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an outline of our walking trip in the Dordogne, done in early July. We used the services of One Foot Abroad to arrange the accommodation and luggage transfers but with a year to make arrangements, it would be perfectly possible to do oneself. Our start point was Sarlat-la Caneda which we reached by train, starting from Bordeaux; our hotel was le Couleuvrine near the town centre which we stayed in to two nights prior to departure and one night at the end of our walk.
Day One: Sarlat - Chateau de Montfort - Vitrac - Domme. Overnight in Hotel de l'Esplanade.
Day Two: Domme - Cenac - Castelnaud la Chapelle - Chateau de Marqueyssac - Beynac-et Cazenac.
Stayed in the tiny Hotel Pontet.
Day Three: B-e-C - Chateau des Milandes (by taxi) - Allas-les-Mines - St Cyprien - overnight in the countryside at Domaine de la Rhonie.
Day Four: DdlR - Les Eyzies-de-Tayac, staying at the Moulin de la Beune.
Day Five: LesEyzies - Sireuil - Chateau de Commarque - Marquay. Overnight at Hotel Bien- Etre aux Cypres,
Day Six: Marquay - Sarlat. Honesty demands that we admit to accepting the generosity of our fabulous hosts Claude and Mario and availed of their offer of a lift in their car to Sarlat........

A few navigational hitches along the way but then we are not particularly seasoned hikers. Some of the walk followed the GR64.
I have a detailed daily report on the trip on file but I am not familiar with personal messaging protocols on Fodors.
Happy to send by e-mail if you can let me have your e-mail address.

SeeDee is offline  
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 02:44 AM
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SeeDee
Just an outline of our walking trip in the Dordogne, done in early July. We used the services of One Foot Abroad to arrange the accommodation and luggage transfers but with a year to make arrangements, it would be perfectly possible to do oneself. Our start point was Sarlat-la Caneda which we reached by train, starting from Bordeaux; our hotel was le Couleuvrine near the town centre which we stayed in to two nights prior to departure and one night at the end of our walk.
Day One: Sarlat - Chateau de Montfort - Vitrac - Domme. Overnight in Hotel de l'Esplanade.
Day Two: Domme - Cenac - Castelnaud la Chapelle - Chateau de Marqueyssac - Beynac-et Cazenac.
Stayed in the tiny Hotel Pontet.
Day Three: B-e-C - Chateau des Milandes (by taxi) - Allas-les-Mines - St Cyprien - overnight in the countryside at Domaine de la Rhonie.
Day Four: DdlR - Les Eyzies-de-Tayac, staying at the Moulin de la Beune.
Day Five: LesEyzies - Sireuil - Chateau de Commarque - Marquay. Overnight at Hotel Bien- Etre aux Cypres,
Day Six: Marquay - Sarlat. Honesty demands that we admit to accepting the generosity of our fabulous hosts Claude and Mario and availed of their offer of a lift in their car to Sarlat........

A few navigational hitches along the way but then we are not particularly seasoned hikers. Some of the walk followed the GR64.
I have a detailed daily report on the trip on file but I am not familiar with personal messaging protocols on Fodors.
Happy to send by e-mail if you can let me have your e-mail address.
Wow thank you so much. My email is [email protected]
Would love to read your trip report.
annelyon57 is offline  
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 09:59 AM
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 34,807
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anne, I suggest you remove your email address from this public forum. You can put your settings so someone can message you on here and then you could tell them privately.

Christina is offline  
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 03:21 PM
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=annelyon57;17393090]Wow thank you so much. I have sent you a PM.
annelyon57 is offline  
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 08:33 AM
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
annelyon,
The website below allows you to download 45 maps of detailed walking routes in different parts of the Dordogne. You could get the maps of the areas that interest you and link up the walking routes across these maps, where this is possible. The website with this information is in French (the English version is different) but the maps themselves have English translations (for the legends etc.). Scroll down to get the index map allowing you to click on the walking maps you want. From a very quick look, and based on the places that you say interest you, I think you would probably need the following maps: Bergerac #41, Issigeac #40, Beaumont #32, Le Buisson de Cadouin #04, Les Eyzies #07.
Note: I tried to post the above info with a link but got an automated reply from Fodors saying that I cannot post a URL until I have posted 10 times ! ... But if you put the following words into google you will get the webpage: dordogne perigord tourisme cote pratique documentation nos plans guides randonnee pedestre equestre vtt
commeci is offline  
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 03:23 PM
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by commeci
annelyon,
The website below allows you to download 45 maps of detailed walking routes in different parts of the Dordogne. You could get the maps of the areas that interest you and link up the walking routes across these maps, where this is possible. The website with this information is in French (the English version is different) but the maps themselves have English translations (for the legends etc.). Scroll down to get the index map allowing you to click on the walking maps you want. From a very quick look, and based on the places that you say interest you, I think you would probably need the following maps: Bergerac #41, Issigeac #40, Beaumont #32, Le Buisson de Cadouin #04, Les Eyzies #07.
Note: I tried to post the above info with a link but got an automated reply from Fodors saying that I cannot post a URL until I have posted 10 times ! ... But if you put the following words into google you will get the webpage: dordogne perigord tourisme cote pratique documentation nos plans guides randonnee pedestre equestre vtt
Thankyou so much. I’ve had a look and those maps look perfect. Looks like our plan is coming together. Whoo hoo!
annelyon57 is offline  
Old Sep 4th, 2023, 12:00 PM
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dordogne walk

i would like to see your trip report. We are thinking of walking in early November. [email protected]
Herman Watson

Originally Posted by SeeDee
Just an outline of our walking trip in the Dordogne, done in early July. We used the services of One Foot Abroad to arrange the accommodation and luggage transfers but with a year to make arrangements, it would be perfectly possible to do oneself. Our start point was Sarlat-la Caneda which we reached by train, starting from Bordeaux; our hotel was le Couleuvrine near the town centre which we stayed in to two nights prior to departure and one night at the end of our walk.
Day One: Sarlat - Chateau de Montfort - Vitrac - Domme. Overnight in Hotel de l'Esplanade.
Day Two: Domme - Cenac - Castelnaud la Chapelle - Chateau de Marqueyssac - Beynac-et Cazenac.
Stayed in the tiny Hotel Pontet.
Day Three: B-e-C - Chateau des Milandes (by taxi) - Allas-les-Mines - St Cyprien - overnight in the countryside at Domaine de la Rhonie.
Day Four: DdlR - Les Eyzies-de-Tayac, staying at the Moulin de la Beune.
Day Five: LesEyzies - Sireuil - Chateau de Commarque - Marquay. Overnight at Hotel Bien- Etre aux Cypres,
Day Six: Marquay - Sarlat. Honesty demands that we admit to accepting the generosity of our fabulous hosts Claude and Mario and availed of their offer of a lift in their car to Sarlat........

A few navigational hitches along the way but then we are not particularly seasoned hikers. Some of the walk followed the GR64.
I have a detailed daily report on the trip on file but I am not familiar with personal messaging protocols on Fodors.
Happy to send by e-mail if you can let me have your e-mail address.
hermanwatson4952 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -