Search

Walking distance from Vatican to Colisseum

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2004, 10:30 PM
bcc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking distance from Vatican to Colisseum

Can you tell me whether it is within walking distance from Vatican to Colisseum (or vice versa)? If yes, how far it is or how long does it take? We have 2 young children with us so we'd like to know whether we can make it on foot!

Thank you so much for your help.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 10:55 PM

mmm - I would walk it with my husband without hesitation as we like to walk, but it is a fair way (particularly in the warm weather) I think with two little kiddies it may be a bit far, especially if you couple that in with walking around the Colisseum and the Vatican. http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mapshell.../rome/rome.htm
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 11:35 PM

This route is NOT walkable with 2 young children (it is even far for adults!) The two spots are a lot farther apart than they appear on a map. However, there are several, frequent bus lines that run back and forth from the Vatican to right in front of the tomb of the unknown soldier (the "wedding cake" monument of Mussolini fame). From there, you just get out and walk a couple blocks south to the Colisseum. Just outside of the Colisseum, there is a large bus stop where many busses stop there, you can find your correct bus # there and hop on the next one back up to the Vatican. It is much easier using public transportation than attempting to walk that long route - esp in the hot summer heat!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 12:07 AM

After visiting Vatican, walk up north to Ottaviano metro station (less than a mile, i guess) and ride to Coloseum metro.

Have fun.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 01:30 AM

The walk is about two-and-a-half -- three miles, depending on whether you walk to opposite ends of each location. If you stop to look at things along the way, much time can go by. It's a fantastic stroll for folks who come from large cities and are used to walking. But, for others, it could be a recipe for painful blisters. I can't imagine children having the patience, desire or endurance. They'll want to nap shortly thereafter. You may want to, too.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 04:11 AM

Get bus passes for your stay. You will have no problems getting a bus to Colisseum and other areas. You'll have plenty of walking,as it is, in Rome.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 04:29 AM

I agree with NYCFS, great walk if you are used to it, but too long with 2 small children.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 04:30 AM

Another vote for the bus ... it would be a very long walk and Rome is a large and bustling city with lots of fast moving traffic. The busses are clean, efficient and the route signs are easily followed.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 04:39 AM

Well, I'm a native New Yorker and walk a lot - all the time. And I wouldn't do this one. Not that its too far to walk if that's all you're doing - its just that you'll be doing a lot of walking at the Vatican - and another lot of walking at the Colosseum/Forum - and you'll want to save your energy for those. It is definitely too far for small kids to walk.

For four of you I would just take a cab - probably would not be more than 4 bus fares.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:34 AM

I wholeheartedly agree w/nytraveler re:the cab!! There are few places like Rome for heat. Just walking around the Colisseum and Forum areas were exhausting in the heat of late May. The cabs were not that expensive and we found them scenic as well. Also if I am remembering correctly, there would be some quite hilly terrain if you were to attempt walking.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 06:58 AM

No, there's no hilly terrain here. Fori Imperiali and Vittorio Emanuale (or, better yet, Via Giulia - the route of the Popes) are all fairly flat. I've done the walk a hundred times, with camera in tow, but I'm a New Yorker and we walk.

Taxis are great but you need to know where the stands are (or phone) and, depending on time of day, can be hard to find. Many cars are too small to fit four comfortably so, be aware. Bus transport is a good second choice.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 07:07 AM

Take a bus. Or the metro. The kiddies will not be able to withstand it. The distance, objectively speaking, isn't too stunning. Only problem is, you will encounter a plethora of things to look at or visit. By the time you reach the Colisseum area, you would be too flustered to enjoy it.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 07:07 AM

There is a large taxi stand in front of St. Peter's Basilica in Piazza Pio XII. Taxis also line up in front of the entrance to the Vatican Museums. My family never had trouble squeezing two adults and two kids in a standard cab. Buses are a great option because young children ride for free. I've taken my two young daughters to Rome twice. I wouldn't attempt walking from the Vatican to the Colosseum with them. Also, if you have a couple of days in Rome, I would see the Vatican in one day and then the Colosseum/Forum on another. To do both would be very tiring and overwhelming for young children.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 07:17 AM

It would take you way over an hour, especially with kids. Don't do it. Take a bus, or metro, or a taxi.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 07:38 AM

No way. You're talking about walking from the northwest part of Rome to an area south of the center of the city, and across the Tiber too.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 09:43 AM

"Also, if you have a couple of days in Rome, I would see the Vatican in one day and then the Colosseum/Forum on another."

That may be the best advice of all.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:07 AM

I think a full day at the Vatican with 2 young children would bore them to tears (how young are they?). I too am a New Yorker and was actually surprised at how small the historic area of Rome is, we walked everywhere, though as NYCFS says we are used to doing a lot of walking in NYC. Crossing the Tiber is no big deal, it is maybe 150 feet across, we found ourselves going back and forth the entire trip. It is a long walk with kids and the busses on Vittorio Emmanuel are very frequent, as well as noted for their pick pockets during the tourist season. If the kids are in strollers, or not too small a nice walk down the Via Giulia with a stop to see the cats at the Toree Argentina Cat Sanctuary and a stop for lunch and gelato would be wonderful.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 12:43 PM

Adults, no problem. Two kids, that would be a problem. I would have to say though that doing the Vatican AND the Forum/ Colisseum is too much for anyone. I would recomend St Peters/Vatican one day and Colisseum/Forum/Palitine Hill area another day. If you must get between the two I would actually recomend the Subway. The busses can be too crowded and hot!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 01:42 PM
bcc
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your information. Now I know I would not attempt to take my kids on this walk. Thanks again.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 08:41 PM

How young is young? First of all, we're in our 60s and found the walk from the Vatican to the Coliseum to be easy and very interestng. Furthermore, when our three kids reached the grand old age of six, they could have easily walked it and thoroughly enjoyed the process. There is so much to see and do and since it's Rome, it's all different and interesting.

I do agree with the person who suggested doing the Vatican and the Coliseum on two different days though, especially if you go to the Vatican museum. If you just do a walk through of St. Peters, the whole thing might be doable, but it might be more fun to take the kids for a gelato and visit a park after St. Peters. The kids will love all the kitties at the Coliseum!

We found Rome to be a very compact walkable city. We had no trouble walking from Termini to the Vatican and that is from one end of the tourist area to the other. The only time I wasn't happy was a day when it rained. Cobblestones are slippery when wet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -