Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Wales and Ireland/Scottland or ? 2015 Trip

Dec 27th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

I know this is a ways off, but we are going to Wales for a family reunion / meeting for the fist time really. We figure we will have family time, see Wales and then visit another country while there.

Thinking of Scotland or Ireland…need to decide which one !!

The trip will probably be a 14 day trip (without air)..so total of maybe 16….we should be able to fly in and out of two different cities hoping to use miles.

BIG QUESTIONS: everything I am reading on Wales seems to show the least crowded but still nice to visit is early June or September. Just wanted to get some feedback from the forums here.

And then of course I need to ask if the same time of year is good for Ireland/Scottland…
(or if there is a different easy to get to location).

A little about us…not big city types (which is why we are not going to London)…prefer beautiful landscapes/small towns/big castles. Things you can't see here in the states!!
Dec 27th, 2013, 02:01 PM

Hi Bgsnmsky,

There is really no bad time to visit the British Isles if you accept the fact that there is sure to be rain/mists along the way. I have only been to these countries in the summer. I don’t believe that the crowds outside the cities will be overwhelming.

Ireland or Scotland? Both lovely so that will be a difficult choice. Read all you can before choosing which one…
Dec 27th, 2013, 02:07 PM

You can't lose with either one!
Dec 27th, 2013, 04:51 PM

I prefer Scotland to Ireland, and it wouldn't involve ferries to get there. Didn't get to see enough of Wales, but what I saw was gorgeous.
Dec 28th, 2013, 08:15 AM

My only reservation about Scotland is midges - see http://www.ionalister.com/midge.htm . They love me! I've not had the same problem in Ireland - perhaps because there's more wind? Both countries are beautiful, as is Wales.
Dec 28th, 2013, 12:13 PM

Only Scotland and Ireland? England has some lovely countryside also.
Dec 28th, 2013, 07:56 PM

Midges do hang out in Ireland, also. Fortunately I have not made the personal acquaintance of any.
Dec 29th, 2013, 12:23 AM

You cant make a wrong choice. I would get some guide books and see which one calls to you. And I have to throw England in there as well - Cotwolds, Lake District are just a couple of lovely areas within your reach from Wales.
Dec 29th, 2013, 04:58 AM

Is that 14 days including the family reunion time? Wales, Ireland and Scotland all have very beautiful nature/sights. Unfortunately, you don't have time to see all of it.

Are you planning to rent a car or go by public transport? You can't get to Ireland without a plane or ferry. You can drive from Wales to Scotland, but that will take time.

You say "we". Is that two adults or a family with children?
Dec 29th, 2013, 05:15 AM

Early June would be my choice for Scotland - less chance of being midge-y.

I love the quieter parts of Ireland - Connemara and Donegal, rather than Dublin and the Ring of Kerry.
Dec 29th, 2013, 05:54 AM

Is your family reunion in North or South Wales? Will you be driving? Do you want to observe the scenery or hike through it?

You could easily spend two weeks in Wales and see a couple of fascinating castles every day.