Scotland? Ireland? Or both?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi and thanks for taking the time to read my question. My husband and I are looking to take a trip to Europe in June. We are either thinking of going to Ireland or Scotland or possibly both. At this point, we don't know if we are going to be able to go for 3 weeks or only 2. If we can only go for two weeks, we want to visit only one country...but which one?? We would like to see historic sites but are most interested in hiking and taking in the beautiful scenary and enjoying the pubs and the local people. Any suggestions on where our focus should be between Ireland or Scotland? Any specific destinations that are must sees?? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this point!! Thanks in advance! Cheers!
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 06:59 AM

Well, you could do both in three weeks, but you will need to limit the amount of each country you see. I would lean towards doing them in separate years, but three weeks sounds like fun in either of them.<BR><BR>My feeling is this. I really enjoyed Scotland, but I am addicted to Ireland. I think it depends on whether you have any Scottish or Irish in you. I have the Irish and that may explain the calling.<BR><BR>Many claim the Scottish scenery is more spectacular, but I'm not sure I agree. Both countries have wonderful places and sites, Scotland being more mountainous than Ireland. That said, I live at the base of the Rocky mountains, so it takes a lot to impress me with mountains. I don't think i go for the scenery though. <BR><BR>You will probably find Ireland a bit more crowded in June. I'm not an expert on that though because my one trip to Scotland was during foot and mouth and the country was almost desserted. There were very few places that we didn't get our first choice in B&amp;Bs and we usually called them on the way there.<BR><BR>Oh yeah, there will be the &quot;who's nicer&quot; argument. Don't worry. Wonderful people in both country. I'll be in Ireland again this spring and hopefully Wales for the 1st time next fall. Then the plan is to go back to Scotland soon.<BR><BR>In the end, you won't be disappointed by either, but you may want to lean to the one that claims some of your heritage.<BR><BR>Bill
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 07:58 AM

This was a raging topic a few months ago, so you will receive some rather strong opinions.<BR><BR>I've lived in Ireland, my husband's from there, and I'm moving back this summer, so I love the place, but I don't think you can go wrong with either Scotland or Ireland, based on your post. Flip a coin, pick a number. Doesn't really matter.<BR><BR>But since I'm more familiar with Ireland, here goes. The hiking is fantastic. No snakes, and the only danger is the weather. There are a series of hiking trails that connect all of the way across Ireland. They're called &quot;ways&quot;, as in the Ulster Way, the Wicklow Way, etc. Many (but not all) trails run through or close to villages and small towns. Best thing to do is buy a book on hiking.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 09:26 AM

I've been to both Ireland and Scotland recently, and have some claim to the ancestry of both, and here's my (albeit biased) opinion...<BR><BR>Scotland is a very rugged, strong beauty, and has wonderful hiking. Northern Ireland is similar to Scotland, but a little toned down. Southern Ireland is rolling, green hills, farmsteads, and lots and lots of sheep! <BR><BR>I know that in Scotland (as well as England, Wales, and Northern Ireland), hikers and campers are allowed access even to private land, as long as they are considerate of the land. I don't know if this is also true in Southern Ireland. <BR><BR>You will find the peoples of both countries very friendly and helpful, and it is easy to start conversations (called 'craic {crak}' in Ireland) in any pub.<BR><BR>I personally enjoyed the scenery in Scotland more, as it was breathtaking and dramatic. Ireland (I was in the south) is more gentle and soft. Beautiful, but less dramatic.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 06:53 PM

As many folks here know I am a huge fan of the Southwest of Scotland. Our first trip took in the SW Scotland, Northern Ireland's Coast and Donegal and then Dublin. We have hence ditched all but Scotland. The Scots are the friendliest folks we met. I encourage you to visit Galloway in the SW.. It's much underlooked as a destination. But it is a lovely place!