Search

Waiting Lines of Sites in Rome & Florence

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waiting Lines of Sites in Rome & Florence

Hello,

I am travelling to Rome & Florence in May. This will be my first trip to Italy. I am still planning the itinerary for our trip and had a question to help me figure out the time we will spend at each site. I have heard numerous horror stories about the lines to get into the most famous of the tourist sites: i.e. the Colosseum, Uffizi, etc. but have not heard much about some of the other sites. I was hoping someone could tell me the wait times they have experienced in May for any of the following sites and if they know of any ways to minimize the waiting?

Rome
Baths of Caracalla
Ostia Antica
Baths of Diocletian
Basilica of San Clemente
Pantheon
Musei Capitolini

Florence
Church of Santa Croce
Museo Galileo
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 07:55 AM

I would be surprised to find queues in any of your listed sites, especially in May.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 08:03 AM

I recommend you obtain the Roma Pass because it will save you having to make the ticket line(s), at least in a number of listed museums in Rome. I rememembered skipping the line at the Colloseum, Roman Forum, and Musei Capitolini. I got mine at the Termini Station- the Tourism Office by Platform 25 (second floor). It is good for three days and it allows unlimited intra-city public transportation (metro/bus), free entrance to the first of 3 out 25 listed Rome attractions. The others at deep discounts. The clock starts when you use it for the FIRST time not at the time of purchase. The packet included a useful map and other good information. I paid 25 Euros back in 2010; I heard the price may had gone up.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 10:51 AM

For the Colosseum, you buy your ticket at Palatine Hill. Almost never a line and the ticket covers PH and the Colosseum. Then, you walk to the left side of the LONG line all the way to the turnstiles and go in. Be brave.

For the Vatican your hotel will make reservations for a tour guide. In our case, the tour bus came to our hotel and picked us up.

Uffizzi and Accademia in Florence--your hotel will make reservations for you. Then, you walk in a different door (no line) for reservations, pay for your ticket and you are in.

These are things I learned about from Rick Steeves books and they all worked.

We tried to buy a Roma Pass in several places and kept being told they were sold out.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 11:38 AM

In my travels to the above spots above in Rome, I have never had any line at any of them. There are some places you want to book ahead and try to skip the line - like the Vatican. No lines at any of those other places, although the Pantheon does get packed at midday (many places do). You may want to get to the Pantheon early in the AM (doors open very early, not sure when) same thing for the Capitoline Museums. San Clemente can get crowded going down to the Mithrium.
Florence, never experienced a line at any Churches, as noted above, absolutely book ahead for the Uffizzi and Accademia. Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 02:26 PM

The only time I have faced a scrum of heaving people has been at the Uffizi and The Accademia in Florence. I had reservations for both but it was still an absolute madhouse. It is important to maintain a sense of humour in these situations!

I doubt you will find any serious lines getting into any of the sites you mention. They are all great choices, so go along with confidence and you will have a brilliant time.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 02:36 PM

Just one more voice assuring you that there won't be lines at the places you listed in your post. I have seen a few people waiting to buy tickets for certain areas of Santa Croce, but as I said, it was a few people.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 02:54 PM

I did not encounter lines at any of the places you listed. And I have visited both cities in what many people believe is "high season" (July). For Uffizi I did not make reservations but got there a few minutes before it opened and there was only a short line. In fact the line for the ticket holders was longer (but that was only true first thing in the morning). For the Vatican Museum I did what the guide books said - went in the afternoon - and there was still a huge line - and that was in Novemeber! So if you really want to get in there go with ideas above for a guide.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 05:09 PM

I don't know when all these people were in Rome last, but I have been in April and May. And the lines at the Colosseum are always long. (Have been 3 times in the last 4 years.)

Get the Roma Pass and when you get to the Colosseum, stay to the far left and you go right past all the lines of people waiting to get in. Look for the sign that says, "Roma Pass".

I have not been to the Capitoline, so cannot say for that. But the Roma Pass is good for that, too. Check out the website: http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=9

In Florence, never seen a line at Santa Croce. And I've been there 3 times in the last 4 years.