Search

vorteil card info needed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vorteil card info needed

hi all,
is the vorteil card which gives a discount on train travel in austria only for locals or can tourists buy them
also i find that on the oebb website i can get tics(without seat reservation) for 4 travelling together even w/o the vorteil card at 285 euros for return journey from vienna to salzburg than if i buy each seperately and the tics have validity for the whole day.is this correct and is it cheaper to buy online than at the station?
if i get the vorteil card(as 2 of the passengers are below 26)then the cost is only abt 150 euros for 4(+20 each for the card)still only 190 euros for the whole journey....
so if anyone has any info on above it will help...
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 07:06 AM

The VorteilsCard is available to anyone under 26.
You must complete an application, present proper photo Id to indicate age- ( passport works well) and also present a regular photo that will be placed on your Vorteilscard to be mailed to you later .
Cost is 19,90 euro. You receive a temporary paper receipt that permits discounted tickets until your permanent plastic card arrives.

You must show this paper receipt as the conductor collects tickets so your friends can not be ticketed on your card.

This card is valid only for the user and not others that may travel together.
It allows reductions of up to 50 % on tickets these purchaed at a ticket machine - about 45 % reduction when purchased at a ticket window.
A regular one way fare per person Vienna - Salzburg is the same whether pre purchased or purchased ahead of time-
It is 47,50 euro one way or 95 euro round trip.

If more than one is traveling together and regular tickets are purchased together some discount is applied to 2 and more tickets ( non vortielscard tickets).

Thus in your example two people would be able to use their under 26 Vorteilscard to purchase individual tickets at a 50% reduction - the other two not eligible for this pay regular fare with a small deduction for that second person traveling together
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

that info was very useful.so i can come to vienna and then purchase the vorteil card for the youngsters as i am travelling from india.can it b bought at the airport as i arrive in the afternoon(can then use on airport city train) or only in train stations?
are u sure the temporary receipt is valid for discounts as i thought i read somewhere on the oebb site that it may not b...but may b wrong ...cos the language sometimes changes to german ...
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

think i am confusing the vienna card with the vorteil card for the airport to city transport or is the vorteil card valid for the discount?
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 05:35 AM

As I live in Vienna and have a VorteilsCard , I know something about them.

The Vienna Card is a tourist card offering discounts for many things in addition to public transport in Vienna.

You must realize that a non stop train known as the CAT connects Vienna Airport and Vienna City- I believe the Vienna Card provides a small discount ( 1 Euro ? ) for this.
The other train connection is the SBahn - slightly slower- about 10 minutes more but cheaper.
1,80 euro for the portion of the journey outside the city and then the journey inside Vienna to the destination by whatever Vienna city ticket plan you choose- single journey is 1,80 euro.
If you look on the Vienna Airport website - it will explain these options in more detail.
You must present your application, photo and ID at a train station ticket window to get your VorteilsCard.
- this not done by the airport.

If you are worried about a discount on a 1,80 euro fare perhaps you should re think the trip
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

i think the last comment was unfair considering you have been the one who has been clearing my doubts.my apprehension was bcos of the language prob...even the vorteil card form seems to b only in german...