Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are we too late to get bookings (Venice, countryside)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, Fodorites.

My DH and I are trying to plan a rather last-minute trip to Italy mid-September for 3 weeks. Current plan is:

Venice: 6 nights
Countryside in Tuscany or other: 7 nights
Florence: 6 nights
Rome?: 3 nights

I'm particularly concerned about accommodation in Venice (approx. E150 per night). Any recommendations?

In between Venice and Florence, we'd like to be in a much smaller place in north/northwest Italy, perhaps on or near the coast. We like to travel fairly close to the ground and would be happy with B&B or very small hotel (or rental in country).

Hope we are not too late to pull this together--I feel a bit spooked at the moment! I'm not expecting you to plan the trip, but I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this site and hope you may be able to give us some helpful input.

Many thanks.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 09:18 AM

We rented an apt. in Venice through veniceapartments.org.

A week before, they notified us that our apt. had a broken A/C, and they switched us to another one. It was fine - in the Castello neighborhood (about 10 min. walk from San Marco) and was 140 Euros/night.

If you can't find hotel rooms, don't rule out apartments.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 09:35 AM

Well, there's only one way to know... Venice have several hotels and you might be able to get something in this price range. As far as there is no major holidays in Italy (like November 1st) you're ok.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 10:02 AM

I don't think you are too late.

I have found apartments to sometimes be less expensive than hotels and usually have more space for relaxing. I also enjoy the ability to have a kitchen when I don't feel like eating out (this also cuts down on expenses). Shopping at the local markets is an adventure and the food is so fresh.

I have enjoyed many stays at this apartment in Venice-

http://www.palazzofoscarini.com/pf/en/

The owner, Anna, is very helpful and also has two other apartments in the same general area that are quite nice (I've seen them) and are newly remodeled. They all have AC. Email Anna to see if anything is available for your dates.

You might consider staying near Lerici for your days between Venice and Florence. From there you can explore the extreme NW Tuscany and the Lerici/Portovenere area. The area is beautiful. I recommend a car.

Here is a nice B&B located just above Lerici where poster yorkshire recently stayed-

http://www.liguriaguide.com/b-and-b-pimpinella.html

I have stayed at this absolutely beautiful agriturismo located just outside of Sarzana (a lovely town) which is a 10-15 minute drive inland from Lerici-

http://www.anticocasalesarzana.com/eng/ristorante.htm

Good luck with your planning!
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 10:09 AM

Like karens and zoe, for 150 euros/nt, I'd suggest an apartment. You probably can find something decent in that range. We're using http://www.venicerentals.com/ and they've been responsive and helpful. As of a couple of weeks ago, they still had a pretty good selection of apartments for mid-Sept., and it's another possibility if the others don't work out.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 02:30 PM

We have stayed at this place, and enjoyed it. We had the second floor apartment, and this does have air con. The Garden Apartment woulod work as well, and is a tad cheaper. (We're going to stay there again at Christmas for a couple of months, so you could take it as a recommendation). Web site lists 820 Euro per week, and that is a current price. They will rent for less than a week - owner lives in San Francisco.
http://realvenicevacationflats.com/
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 02:37 PM

Some great stay ideas here. I am bookmarking for my wishlist trip to Italy
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 03:12 PM

I'd cut a day or more from Florence and spend them in Rome -- better use of your time, I think.

Anyplace you are spending 3 or more days you can find apartments, usually. Other sources are sleepinitaly.com and VRBO.com.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 03:32 PM

I think you still have time to plan for mid-Sep. I agree that Rome deserves more time than does Florence. The Tuscany location and accommodations should be your first focus--have you picked a location in Tuscany?
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies--very encouraging!

Appreciate the input re Rome, but it is not a must for us this time. (We tend to move at a leisurely pace and also don't want too many cities in a short timeframe.) We'd rather spend our extra time in the countryside. We will do some research and get back with questions re a specific area.

Zoecat, I am looking into the various properties you have suggested--thank you for all the information.

However, my DH has now said that we should expect to spend at least 180 Euros per night (and I realize that is still on the low end). Would this bring anything else to mind in Venice?

Also, can anyone comment on Domus Ciliota?

Thank you again.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 07:23 AM

Check out Ca dei Conti in Venice. It's close to San Marco, and on a lovely little canal.

It looks as if they have some special rates for September:

http://www.cadeiconti.com/

Byrd