volcanic activity in Canaries

Oct 11th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

volcanic activity in Canaries

There have been more than 40 earthquakes in the last 48 hrs in La Palma and Gran Canaria from the Cumbre Vieja volcano. If it erupts, there will be a monster tsunami which will affect as far away as Britain and the East Coast of the US. Just sayin'. Scientists have gathered there to keep a close eye on it, but what could they do other than issue dire warnings.
Oct 11th, 2017, 12:36 PM

Trying to create panic?
Oct 11th, 2017, 12:44 PM

One theory is that it will break away and cause a tsunami. Most experts refute that claim.

There are frequent small earthquakes on La Palma. It does have active volcanoes.

What about Tenerife, La Gomera and El Hierro? They are closer to La Palma than Gran Canaria is.

Not a lot any of us can do about it either way.
Oct 11th, 2017, 12:53 PM

I also note that the main sources stating there is panic are the Daily Express and the Daily Sar, neither of which could be bothered to find a photograph of a beach on La Palma, but use so stock golden beach with palm trees and high rise. La Palma has only a couple of beaches, and they are black.

Since the resident cant feel the quakes, they proay are not panicking as claimed. Only the scandal rags are panicking. And bedar of course.
Oct 11th, 2017, 12:57 PM

Last week Mallorca was part of Catalonia.

This week a tidal wave to engulf Britain.

I will sleep tonight, unlike you I won't be in fantasy land.
Oct 11th, 2017, 01:00 PM

Sorry Hets

Daily Mail has it also.....so it must be true.
Oct 11th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

I'm not panicking, just reporting from an article in The Olive Press. Of course, they could have got that info from the British rags. The tsunami info has been around for many years, but these 25 mi/km ? deep quakes are something new. Google Cumbre Vieja for your own info.
Oct 11th, 2017, 01:24 PM

Sorry I'm being unfair, I'm very interested in geological issues and had missed this totally. Thanks for posting, I need to read the Daily Express more often!
Oct 11th, 2017, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Perhaps a preponderance of Brits who visit the Canaries read these rags, who knows. The language in the articles is exactly the same. Let's hope it's fake news.