Vodaphone store in Glasgow?

Mar 30th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Vodaphone store in Glasgow?

Does anyone know if there is a Vodafone store at Glasgow airport or near the train station in Glasgow? We have about 3 hours between when our plane lands in Glasgow and our train leaves for Oban and want to buy a Pay-as-You-Talk SIM card for our cell phone. Unfortunately you need to have a post code to look up store locations on the Vodafone website and none of my guide books seem to have them. I tried to buy one ahead of time on their website and also over the phone but was told they don't accept non-UK credit cards for payment and won't ship outside the UK (*sigh*).
Mar 30th, 2005, 09:40 AM
ron

Try postal code G2 1DR. That will get you the closest store to Glasgow Queen Street station.
Mar 30th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

I have a revision to my posting already.

Just out of curiousity, I made a trip to the section of the Vodafone site that lets you search for stores (the section that their person told me you need a post code for) and found you can also do a search by town (!) so I searched on Glasgow and found the following locations: 133 Buchanan St., Sauchiehall St. Centre, 106 Argyle St., The Forge Parkhead, and Braehead Shopping Centre Kings Inch Rd.

Does anyone know which one of those would be closest to airport or to train station?

We're really hoping to have our cell phone for our Scotland trip before we get on the train for Oban. Thanks!

We're also switching planes (from United to British Midland) in London Heathrow, and I was able to find a store in Terminal 1, so we might try there if we have time. But I'd still like the Glasgow info just in case (since I don't know which terminal we'll be in, how on-schedule our plane will be and how long it would take to get to the store, etc.

P.S. I'm surprised Vodafone's customer service person told me she couldn't look up store info w/o a post code. I actually asked her first about London Heathrow and she said she couldn't do it (and that I'd have to get the post code and look it up on the website myself). Hmmmm...

Mar 30th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Try the Dixons website, which looked like it does ship abroad.

Dixons stores also sell Vodafone SIMS. Any walk through busy shopping streets anywhere in Britain will take you past several Vodafone SIM-selling shops
Mar 30th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Looks like my reply to my own message crossed with everyone else's replies -- boy you folks are quick! Thanks so much!

I tried the post code you gave me for Glasgow Queen Street and it looks like the Buchanan Street store is the closest one.

I checked Dixon's website and they do sell the Vodafone SIM cards, but they charge £19.99 for one, where Vodafone seems to give them out for free (at least on their website, except for £2.99 shipping). Does anyone know if they're free in the Vodafone stores also or is that just a special web-only promotion?

Thanks again for all your help!
Mar 30th, 2005, 04:10 PM

my2cents,

Just to confirm that the Vodafone store in Buchanan St. is no more than a couple of minutes walk from Queen St.Station. If you have a map it's just where St. Vincent St. crosses Buchanan St.

Incidentally, you might want to note that there are two main railway stations in the city centre - Queen St. & Glasgow Central. You are quite right in saying that you will catch your train to Oban at Queen St. but I thought I'd mention it just in case there is any confusion when you are travelling in from the airport.

Jim
Mar 30th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Jim. It's good to know it's so close (especially since we'll be lugging our backpacks with us to the store).
Apr 5th, 2005, 05:53 PM

my2cents,

I was in Buchanan St. today & realized that I had misled you (slightly) about the exact location of the Vodafone store - I think I was getting my networks mixed up.

The store is actually a little further down Buchanan St. than I had said - on the left hand side, just past Border's bookshop, at the second entrance to Royal Exchange Square. Don't worry, it's still only a short walk from Queen St. Station.

Jim
Apr 5th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the update Jim. With your wonderfully precise directions I'm sure I'll be able find it (even in my jet-lagged state ~smile~).