Search

visitng paris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:32 AM
janice

visitng paris

I'm going to Paris next month. I hear there are lots of holidays in May. Are there any dates to steer clear of? Thanks in advance.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Howard

May 1, 8, 9 and 20. Whether you should steer clear of these days depends on what your plans are!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:31 AM
sue

What's going on May 20?

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Rex

I believe it's Ascension (Thursday?), 40 days after Easter.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Rex

And from an earlier post about 8 May (plagiarizing myself in this answer I gave there):<BR><BR>Author: sue ([email protected])<BR>Date: 04/07/2002, 11:49 pm<BR><BR>Message: Our stay in Europe will include May Day and Victory Day. Should we expect public closures or interuption in services such as shuttles?<BR><BR>----------------------------------------<BR> <BR>Author: Rex ([email protected])<BR>Date: 04/07/2002, 11:56 pm<BR><BR>Message: Minimally. If you mean Paris specifically, traffic patterns might be affected a little bit, just as would be true with any big parade day in New York. But then, on the other hand, traffic can be lighter because these are holidays and fewer people are working.<BR><BR>Try to get right down by l'Arc de Triomphe to watch the celebration of "le huit mai" (Liberation, or Victory, or V-E day). Very cool.<BR>

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Sue

Ascension this year is May 9. I'm wondering what May 20 is, also.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:02 AM
az

It's Whit Monday (Pentacosta) on May 20

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Lulu

I believe Pentecost is celebrated nationally in France, making Monday the 20th a holiday.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 09:23 AM
aj

I will be in Paris May 20th. What will be closed. Will stores, restaurants, musee etc. be open? What about Metro?

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Sue

I'm taking the Eurostar from Paris to London on May 20. Does this holiday affect England too?

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Christina

Pentecost is a Christian religious event. It is an official national holiday in France (and the Monday after because it's always on a Sunday), but not in England.<BR><BR>The Parisian metro is never closed that I know of, although trains may be less frequent on holidays. Some museums are always closed on MOndays, if not, I rather doubt any major museums will close just for that holiday, but check the schedule with whatever museum you want to go to that day to be sure as I'm speculating from other holidays (for example, the Pompidou Center was open on Bastille Day, so I doubt if they would close for Whit Monday).

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Kathy

Janice, Go to parisinsites.com for all the holidays in France. The May holidays are : May 1,8,9,19,20. This is a great website and good resource for Paris.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:07 PM
janice

Thanks to everyone for all the info. Sorry I wasn't more specific. I'm going to be in Paris from May 7-12, which includes VE day and Ascension Day. Can I expect much to be closed (museums, major attractions, and shops)?

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:41 AM
elaine

yes, they are national holidays many places will be closed, think<BR>"Labor Day" or "Memorial Day" in the US.<BR>The Eiffel Tower will probably be open, I don't know if it ever closes.<BR>Sometimes the Louvre stays open on some national holidays, you can check the website's calendar

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Rex

Silly me, didn't even do the arithmetic. 40 days after Easter is May 11 (or 12? do you count 0,1,2 or 1,2,3...?)<BR><BR>So is that when Ascension is?<BR><BR>And what is Pentecost? - - I mean what does it signify?<BR>