Reload this Page >

Is $80/day a good car rate for Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:40 PM
la

I'm getting a rate of about $80/day for 4 days for renting a car in Rome to drive to Florence and drop off there. is that a good rate?

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:05 PM
x

No!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 10:59 PM
Gar

hi there,<BR>if it is not a big car (can ...) including all insurances, I agree with above. No.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 03:26 AM
xxx

try Autoeurope.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 05:42 AM
jane

Unfortunately short term car rentals can be expensive, and anything less than 1 week is expensive. I was quoted worse than that for a 1 day car rental (almost $100 per day with insurance.) However, it still pays to shop around. Let us know what you find, there's strength in numbers.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 05:54 AM
beth anderson

unless you are getting a big car or a minivan, no.<BR><BR>why don't you rent for a week and drop it off early? I bet you would get a better rate.<BR><BR>try www.kemwel.com<BR><BR>they have great rates.<BR><BR>I just checked (was online there anyway as I just got my car in France) and a week, pickup in Rome dropoff in Florence, airport to airport) for a small 4-door is 250 bucks.<BR><BR>for a larger car it is 350, which does not help you...<BR><BR>so if you can get away with a small 4 door (Fiat Punto) then you are doing better for a week rental.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:40 AM
iiiiiii

Respectfully disagree with everyone --- no one's asked if this $80 rate is for an automatic. If so, coupled with your four day term, then that's an okay price. Now if this is for a standard, definitely keep shopping. Beth's idea of renting for a week, then returning it early may net you a better deal. Just make sure that if you do turn it in earlier, they don't switch to a daily rate.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:45 AM
beth anderson

ah, good point! I don't even consider automatics so you are right (I try to avoid automatics, whether owning or renting - ugh!)

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Jim

Kemwel and AutoEurope are now the same company owned by AutoWorld. Quotes to me for a lease were identical for both companies and much higher than Auto France.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Carol

I have been getting the same rate. However, the issue is insurance. I am paying almost as much for insurance as for the car. Oh well. However, the idea of renting it for a week and dropping it early is NOT recommended. Rental car companies can and do change you to a more expensive rental rate if you don't keep the car the minimum number of days!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Sue

However, AutoEurope has always charged me the weekly rate, even if I was renting for fewer days (say 6) and they made it clear that that was what they were doing because it was cheaper.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:02 PM
MamaMia

$80 a DAY?? No WAY! It should be more like $25 a day, including taxes - and in Italy they sock you for more taxes than in other European countries because of the greater risk of theft.<BR><BR>Call AutoEurope at 1-800-223-5555.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 12:39 PM
la

I am the original poster. Thanks for everyone's input. I have now got it down to $63/day for a 4-door Punto (manual) and that includes all taxes and insurance. How's that price sound?(it was from Auto Europe). How tiny is a Punto? THis is for 2 people for 2 weeks.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Rex

$63 a day - - for a two week period, for a Punto is NOT a good rate - - unless it has gold-plated pedals, connecting to the chain that powers that thing. You originally said 4 days. If you are renting 14 days, $882 is WAY too high. Autoeurope is currently showing $558 for a 14 day rental of a Punto.<BR><BR>Even that seems too high to me.<BR><BR>Wait a minute - - are they PAYing you $63 a day to drive it?<BR><BR>Still not enough.<BR><BR>I don't want to make you feel bad (and I probably have - - and I apologize) - - but I have never gotten a rate that high on a car that puny.<BR><BR>You really should be able to do better.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 05:43 AM
la

Rex: I'm sorry, my last message was a bit confusing. You are correct, the $63/day is for a 4-day period. Does that sound better price-wise? We are turning in our car in Florence and then taking a train as close as we can get to the coast (I guess Naples), and renting another car in Naples to drive and stay along Amalfi, Positano, Ravello, etc for another 5 days. My concern was that we would be in a Punto on and off for about a 10 day period, and it sounded pretty cramped, so I was just checking.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 05:54 AM
beth anderson

la<BR><BR>250 for 4 days... given that you would get a small car for that, for a week, I suppose that isn't too too bad. however, that is a darn small car. I have never driven one but I have seen them.<BR><BR>the fact that you are dropping it in another city would usually make the price rise a little. <BR><BR>2 people? how much luggage. if you are going to be climbing hills, might be a bad idea?<BR><BR>not to mess with your itinerary, but what about taking a train to Florence, picking up the car there, and driving back via Rome or Naples? <BR><BR>If you are in Rome first, train to Florence, and drive back through if it's the countryside you want to see. I would think that might give you a better discount - I am guessing that each time you rent a car 'fresh' there is a top loaded charge you could avoid if you just rented once...<BR><BR>thoughts?<BR><BR>Beth

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:00 AM
la

Beth: We thought about your idea before(taking train to Florence), but we didn't want to have to drive from Florence to the coast. So, we decided to drive up thru Tuscany (stopping a few nights), spend a night or two in FLorence,and then get the train down to Naples. I think your right about the car size, especially since countryside can be pretty hilly - maybe we'll go up to an intermediate size? WHat's the smallest you'd feel comfortable with?

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Betsy

la, I've done Italy in a Punto and in the next larger option. I preferred the Punto because it was so much easier to maneuver in the small Italian towns and on the Amalfi coast. It was peppy on the autostrade. For two people, I think you'll be fine in the Punto.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:23 AM
beth anderson

Hi<BR><BR>I tried to do a search on engine size - it appears the 98s have a 1.3 litre engine, can't yet find a 2002 model.<BR><BR>that is the size of the older Honda Civics, engine wise. (I am thinking of hill climbing, for two adults with luggage).<BR><BR>I have rented a Citroen Saxo before, which is likely comparable size-wise. But, it was me alone, in the Loire Valley which isn't too hilly. It did get blown all over the road when I was on the autoroutes. but it was fine.<BR><BR>I would likely say, for two people, I would want something a little bigger, but I don't know your comfort levels, luggage, etc. I really don't have any bad memories of driving the Saxo - it got up and went, it got great gas mileage, easy to park, etc. <BR><BR>can you reserve and change your mind on the spot, when you see the car, without getting gouged? a lot of times they give you a 'comparable' car when you rent a 'type' - it may be a little bigger than the Punto anyway.<BR><BR>beth

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:27 AM
beth anderson

ooh, Betsy makes a good point. small car - small side roads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -