Visiting Ukraine

Jun 4th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Visiting Ukraine

Has anyone driven from Poland into Ukraine? Is it possible with a rental car and how is the situation at the border (US citizen)? I will be traveling from Zamosc, Poland to Krakow and am considering going via Lvov rather than doubling back via Lublin (the more direct road from Zamosc to Krakow seems to be a small road through mountains).
Thank you.
Jun 4th, 2013, 07:41 AM

It's possible with a rental car BUT:

1. Not all agencies will allow it.
2. When you find one that does allow it, make sure they know your intention so they can give you a Skoda instead of an Audi.

Enjoy. I loved Ukraine and have been itching to get back.
Jun 4th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

I wouldn't rent an Audi anyway (too expensive), but why would I want to make sure I have a Skoda instead? To avoid traveling with a flashy car?
Jun 4th, 2013, 07:54 AM

Theft concerns would be my guess. They do it to me when I go from Germany to Czech Republic. "No BMW for you, Good Sir! Take this Opel instead."
Jun 4th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

I see. Like they never steal anything in Germany.
Thanks for the advice
Jun 4th, 2013, 10:05 AM

They're not my rules. o.0
Jun 4th, 2013, 04:02 PM

Visiting Ukraine
Posted by: nyctraveler212 on Jun 4, 13 at 11:05am
Has anyone driven from Poland into Ukraine?

I have. I would give you some advice if you didn't have an attitude about this. Did you post to get information or start a verbal fight? Also, your dismissal of the threat from gypsies on the Paris pickpocket thread indicates that you have never had a brush with them. I am a veteran of gypsy battles. You don't want to meet the pack, but if you do let instant reality rule your reaction, not your fair minded opinion.
Jun 4th, 2013, 09:28 PM

Gypsies are my nemesis.
Jun 4th, 2013, 09:32 PM

Skodas can be nice cars - there is nothing wrong with them.
Jun 4th, 2013, 10:22 PM

Aye but they don't cost as much as BMWs or Mercedes. There are some Skoda models I rather fancy.
Jun 5th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

I don't have an attitude actually, except when it comes to racism. Yes, there are gypsies who engage in criminal activity, but not all of them. And yes, I have in fact met what you would call "a pack" and by my actions I made it clear that I was not going to be their target. They shrugged and went away. I have seen them in Berlin and other places as well. A few months ago two separate people tried the ring scam - I don't know if they were gypsies or not.
Gypsies have been the targets of extermination campaigns and a lot of racism. Many or most live in poverty and few countries are interested in helping them to find a better way of life. These are facts. In no way is this an excuse for criminal actions. But not every pickpocket in Europe is a gypsy.
I actually once got some useful advice from this forum. Unfortunately now it's turning into a lot of people posturing.
Who knows, maybe I'll end up with my pocket picked when I'm in Paris next month.
Jun 8th, 2013, 08:55 AM

Well, if you can find a rental car company that will approve a UA border crossing it could be an unusual adventure.
If you go watch the speed limits Very carefully. You will likely be stopped anyway for document checks which so if you don't speak Ukrainian, practice your charades stuff. Bringing 10 or 20 USD bills inserted intelligently in your passport can help.
True story. A couple of years ago the then president of UA was driving in a single car to Poland from Kiev. He was stopped so many times by his own police & security forces that in a tantrum he ordered his entire police force to be fired, really. This suspension lasted about one day after he thought better of it.
Jun 8th, 2013, 09:50 AM

Parmenter on Jun 8, 13 at 12:55pm
You will likely be stopped anyway for document checks which so if you don't speak Ukrainian, practice your charades stuff. Bringing 10 or 20 USD bills inserted intelligently in your passport can help.

Parmenter, are you trying to get nyctraveler212 arrested? That's not the way baksheesh is handled.
Jun 8th, 2013, 12:21 PM

There should be a thread explaining dos and don'ts of baksheesh.