Visiting the Loire Valley

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to the Loire Valley from Paris for 2 days. I am hoping to see a few chateaux while there. I'd prefer not to rent a car, instead I'd like to rent a bike.

My questions are as follows:
How difficult is the terrain?
How far apart are the chateaux?
If chosen careful, would it be possible to see 4 or 5 chateaux in the 2 days?
What would the best location be to start from?

I am more interested in the exterior architecture
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Hit the send button to quick,
but I am interested in exterior architecture and the gardens.
Any recommendations are appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 07:42 AM

The terrain is generally not very difficult, although it is not absolutely flat. Specifically, I recall some steep hills around Chaumont. But the roads following the various rivers (Indre, Cher) are fairly flat. Least interesting is following the Loire itself.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 07:52 AM

The terrain is not at all difficult for cycling. It's very level, and roads are good.

The distance between chateaux can vary greatly. It's not something that I have thought about, because I use a car in that region. Between Saumur and Amboise you can get about five chateaux of different types, the Abbey at Fontevraud, vineyards, and pleasant towns and cities in a total road distance of about 130 km (80 miles).
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 09:01 AM

Check this out:

http://www.mayq.com/Best_european_trips/Loire/Loire.htm
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 09:09 AM

Saw some cyclers when traveling through Loire in September. Since I do ride a little, I paid a little more attention. In general, many of the roads are narrow with no or very little shoulder, and near the more popular chateaux there are a little bit of traffic, including large coaches.

I just don't think it's that good a way to travel if one's just a casual cycler.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 10:02 AM

The area is fine for cycling in general - but many of the chateaux are too far apart to do by bike unless you plan on riding many hours in between. It's hard enough to do 3 a day by car- 2 is more realistic.

Suggest you pick out the chateaux you want to see and then check distances. I wold think almost any 2 in one day by bike is impossible - and still see any of the chateau - and get back to starting point.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

I am starting to think I'd be better off joining a tour group, or renting a car.
Anyone ever tried: http://www.accodispo-tours.com/ ?

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 12:36 PM

there are also several local organizations that carry your bags between hotels while you bike there. and many hotels in area provide bikes for guests, acco-dispo is an established company with good reviews
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Here's my recommendation - perfect for biking and easily doable in 2 days...

There's a scenic stretch along the left bank of the Loire, well off the main road(s) and very level. In this area both the Indre and the Cher enter the Loire. If you look at the map, it'd be between Ussé (chateau there) and St Genouph. In addition to Ussé, you'll get to see chateaux at Langeais, Azay-le-Rideau and Villandry. Chinon isn't too far either.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 12:26 AM

hello,

There are many itinaries for cycling in the area on tourism-touraine.com. There are itinaries thanks to "Loire By Cycle" concept.
For Castles to visite, I suggest you Chenonceau, Amboise and then Le Clos Lucé (in Amboise too), Villandry for its wonderful and suprising gardens.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 06:51 AM

Two a day is possible - three would really be pushing it. It is not only the time to cycle between but also taking into account the times the chateaux are open.

You would also need a full days - not counting travellling out from Paris.

I have done 2 a day three different times from Onzain (between Blois and Amboise) twice and once from Azay-le-Rideau

What I might suggest is to go to Blois, see the Chateau there and then cycle to Chambord. The next day cycle to Chaumont and, if you are a good cyclist, then to Chenonceau or if not as proficient, to Cheverny.

I have also visited both Villandry and Usse in the same day, cycling from Azay. You could also do Azay and Chinon in the same day.