Visiting Spangdahlem

Search

Visiting Spangdahlem

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visiting Spangdahlem

Hi all, my fiance and I are planning a trip to Europe in mid-March. We'd fly into London, then travel to Paris, then visit a friend stationed at Spangdahlem. Ideally, I'd like to give an equal 3-4 days in each city, but I'm not very familiar with Spangdahlem and its surrounding area.

I'm wondering, first of all, how easy it is to travel to, presumably by train? Second, any suggestions on what to do while we're there would be helpful. We are mid-20s, fairly active, and interested in taking in as much culture/history as we can while we're there. And also eating delicious food... and drinking beer. I'm also a sucker for being at vantage points where you can see the entire city and landscape for miles... so any tours (of churches, castles, etc) or hikes of that nature, definitely throw them my way!

On the other hand, I'm not opposed to asking our friend to meet us in a different city nearby. I'll talk to him for suggestions, but would our time be better spent in a bigger city, such as Dusseldorf or Frankfurt? I visited Heidelburg a few years ago and LOVED it. I just want to make good use of our short time there! Strasbourg, Brussels or Luxembourg came to mind as alternatives as well. Thanks much!
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 10:58 AM

Think farmland and a military base, not a lot but Biturger is nearby and you could do train trips to other places for day trips if you want to stay with your friend. The American cemetery at Luxembourg is worth a stop. You can take the train from Paris and explore the Alsace region on your way.
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 11:16 AM

I'm wondering, first of all, how easy it is to travel to, presumably by train?>

Very very easy and can be very very cheap if you pre-book the Paris to Germany train (not sure to which main station but the nearest one possible - book at www.voyages-sncf.com - the French railway official site. Once in Germany trains go everywhere and since you will be doing at most local trips check out the Lander Card - a regional rail pass where up to 5 folks can travel for the whole day on regional trains and city transports for a paltry total sum of about 29 euros.

For lots of great info on French and German trains I always spotlight these IMO fine sties - www.seat61.com - good info on discounted tickets that can save you a ton of money; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

Discounted tickets on Paris to Germany run can save a lot of money over full fare you pay by just showing up but must be booked weeks in advance to guarantee as they are sold in limited numbers on each train - and they are not changeable nor refundable so be sure of your exact dates and times - again www.voyages-sncf.com is one site to do this on.

Why not go to friends home and then y'all go to Frankfurt or Heidelberg (a rap on this place is that it is overrun with American GIs - which could be good for night life or bad if you don't want a lot of Yanks around!
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 11:37 AM

There are a couple of places close to Spangdahlem that you would probably enjoy visiting on day trips--Trier and Koblenz. Trier is an old Roman city and you can visit the old colosseum and the largest city gate in the world, the Porta Negra (which offers great views of the city). Trier is about 30 miles from Spangdahlem. Koblenz is another ancient city which is located at the confluence of the Rhine and Mosel Rivers. There are some fantastic scenic views here. Koblenz is about 75 miles from Spangdahlem.
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 08:48 AM

The train you want to book far ahead of time is Paris-Est to Saarbrucken - and you can get deep discounts on tickets if booked far enough in advance - tickets come with the mandated seat reservation on TGVs in France

then you take local train and buses where there is a flat fare and you can just buy tickets as you go along (if www.voyagfes-sncf.com lets you buy the whole thing do so but if not don't owrry - these regional trains and buses you just hop on.

Saarbrucken to Trier by train to Huttingen then bus To Wittlich and then bus to Neustraße in Spangdahlem.

All told take about 5.5 hours including all the changing, etc.
Old Nov 16th, 2013, 07:57 AM

I 2nd longhorn's recommendation of Trier as a fascinating city and also one for younger folk to have fun in at night perhaps - again lots of American GIs in this area.

Trier has in addition to the stunning Porta Negra longhorn describes - to me the finest intact Roman structure north of the Alps - it also has a Roman temple that was converted centuries ago to a Christian basilica - Trier once being the capital of the Eastern Half of the Holy Roman Empire and one of the oldest cities in Europe (it looks thoroughly modern due to damages in many ways) - it also has a Roman arena and the Karl-Marx House where the philosopher-economist was born and grew up in - now a study center and kind of museum.

Trier has a very nice pedestrian shopping zone to buy anything you need or want!

So yes Trier if in that area is a must!
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

These are wonderful suggestions, thanks all! Trier sounds like a lovely town and I'll definitely push for spending a few days there!
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 11:19 AM

Actually you are near the heart of the Mosel Valley - to me the most gorgeous river valley in Europe - the languid river sinuously twisting snake-like with slopes of hundred of feet high on either side - at many place lovingly covered with vineyards - cutsey little wine towns line the valley - Mosel white wines being highly thought of.

Cochem is a fairy-tale town to stay in - picture postcard all the way - If you have a car drive down the Mosel valley - I would recommend biking but not at that time of year when cool winds are blowing down valley.