Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Taking train from Paris to Mainz, Germany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2002, 07:29 AM
MitchG

My wife and I will be in Paris in early June and will be traveling to Mainz to visit her sister - it is our first time in Europe. We plan to take a train from Paris to Mainz (with our luggage in tow), but I'm having trouble finding just *how* to do this. The French and German rail websites are difficult to navigate. I know we will likely have to transfer trains and would like to make that transfer as painless as possible (I think I found one route that gave us 9 minutes between trains - that's cutting it too close since I won't really know what I'm doing and want as much time as possible to make sure we're getting on the correct train). Does anybody have any suggestions for information on point-to-point travel, or resources where I can find some clear direction? Might the concierge at our Paris hotel be able to help (assuming that the best approach is to just purchase the tickets when we are ready to travel)?<BR><BR>Thanks for any suggestions.

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Al Godon

Leave Paris Est at 8:54. Arrive Mainz 15:20. Change in Mannheim.<BR>Cost 75 euro one way, 2nd class.<BR>Reservation recommended.<BR><BR>Watch those web sites. Some of them byte!! Yuck Yuck.<BR><BR>How do I know? I read the web site for you!<BR>

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Hans H

Hello!<BR><BR>Once you're at the Rhine (for example Cologne or Bonn), trains to Mainz run at least every 20-30 minutes. This means that it doesn't really matter if you miss a train, as long as you don't go at a time when the trains are very full and you need a reservation to get a seat(for example prior to a public holliday or friday evening). If you're looking for a later train, for example from Cologne to Mainz, go to www.bahn.de and type in Koeln Hbf(Cologne main train station) and Mainz Hbf plus the time you want to depart. It will offer you the alternatives around that time. If you are willing to stand for about two hours until Mainz, you can enter every train even if it's full.<BR><BR>As for getting from Paris to Cologne, taking the Thalys train is the easiest but probably the most expensive way. The important point is that in opposite to all other trains I know about, you need a reservation. The Thalys departs every two hours from Paris to Cologne and you don't need to change trains in between. You can find the info about departure times, but not about prices, at the www.bahn.de webpage.<BR><BR>Hope this helps, Hans

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Russ

Time in Mainz - lucky you! Wish I had a relative there.<BR><BR>The quickest and most scenic route is via Cologne and the Rhine Gorge - take that one if you can rather than the Mannheim option. The train from Paris is unlikely to be late, but if it is, there will be plenty more connecting trains, as Hans explains.<BR><BR>Don't take too much stuff - you're a vacationer, not a burro - and your transfer will go fine if the trains run on time as they usually do.

Old May 10th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Andre

Mitch,<BR><BR>As others have already mentioned, your best bet is to take the Thalys high speed train to Cologne/K&ouml;ln, where you change trains. The trip takes 6hrs9min, there are 5 connections a day (the last one is a little faster, as you travel on a high speed German ICE train for the Cologne to Mainz portion). Beware! these trains leave from the GARE DU NORD in Paris.<BR><BR>Cheaper, marginally slower (about 6hrs30 min) but much less comfortable are connections on older conventional trains via Baden-Baden or Mannheim (3 departures a day). These trains leave from the GARE DE L'EST in Paris.<BR><BR>I would strongly recommend reserving tickets ASAP for the international portion of your journey (Paris to Cologne, Baden-Baden or Mannheim and return). You can do so on <BR>www.sncf.com<BR>Simply prepay for your tickets online and you can pick them up at any train station or "boutique SNCF" in France when you arrive. You might still be able to snag a discounted fare on the Thalys, although these go fast.<BR><BR>For schedule info, I prefer the German railway site. It will give you all the itinerary information you need:<BR>http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?protocol=httpseqnr=8&ident=no.01099416.102105 2252&newrequest=yes&<BR><BR>Hope this helps<BR>Andre

Old May 10th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Bob Brown

The route to Mainz via Mannheim takes 17 minutes longer than the route via K&ouml;ln. Out of a total trip that takes more than 6 hours for both routes, do you think it worth the extra money to ride the Thalys train?

Old May 11th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Andre

Bob,<BR><BR>I agree that it doesn't make sense to take the Thalys on the basis of travel time alone, but I've taken a "corail" EC train from the Gare de l'Est before (to Basel) and it just isn't as comfortable as Thalys (in second class at least). It was hot - aircon was not strong enough and the car just felt grungy and old with vinyl seats. Also, the ride along the Rhine via Cologne is more scenic.<BR><BR>If the price differential was large I would skip the Thalys though.<BR><BR>Andre

Old May 12th, 2002, 08:23 AM
MitchG

Thank you to everybody for the info. I think we are going to take the Cologne route on the Thalys train (I finally managed my way around the SNCF site). Some additional questions from a first-time Europe traveler (and first time train traveler):<BR><BR>1) We have no choice but to travel luggage-heavy (due to the nature of the first part of our trip, we need suits etc.). On the Thalys train, how much room is there for larger bags? What happens if we board and the luggage area is full? <BR><BR>2) When we get to Cologne, how easy will it be to find the train we need to board for Mainz? All the sncf site indicates is that this is "Train 19". Any idea what type of train this is and how well our luggage can be accomodated?<BR><BR>3) How expensive are food and water on the trains? <BR><BR>Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. Again, thanks for all the helpful info!

Old May 12th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Al Godon

Take your own water in bottle form.<BR>Food is up to you, although I have found food prices within bounds.<BR>You will probably handle your own luggage. If the luggage area is full, you put it where you can.<BR>I have never had the problem, however.<BR>Nine minutes is standard, in fact, it should be plenty. <BR>If you take the Thalys train from Paris Nord, and leave at 8:55, you have a little more than 9 minutes.<BR>The German train web site will tell you which platform. The current listing is that you arrive at Platform 1 and leave from 7. <BR>The words in German are Bahnsteig and Gleis. Gleis is the actual track.<BR>There are usually big boards listing the trains and their departures.<BR>I never had any trouble; haven't missed one yet except in Italy through no fault of my own.<BR><BR>(That is another story. It was Easter, and I was in Verona. The mob trying to get on the train and mob trying to get off had a confrontation at the door. There was considerable shouting of terms of endearment. In the mean time, my train to Venice left without me. I finally got out by going through the window.)<BR>

Old May 12th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Bob Brown

Why are you so blinking concerned about missing a train from K&ouml;ln to Mainz?<BR>Between the hours of 13:00 and 17:00 there are 14 trains (actual count)from K&ouml;ln to Mainz.<BR><BR>Worst possible case is that you wait 26 minutes for the next one.<BR>

Old May 13th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Liz

Mitch, here's a page that may help you understand why 9 minutes will be fine.<BR><BR>http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/trainschedules.htm#tips

Old May 13th, 2002, 09:22 PM
missy

I also will be going to Paris inJuly and will be needing to travel to Germany, but to Braunsweich (Hanover is the nearest city). Should I take the Thalys? Also, what connection would I need to make. Also, my first time traveling in Europe. We have a family of 5. Maybe we should fly?

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:51 PM
Tony

Missy..<BR><BR>Yes the most comfortable way is Thalys from Paris Gare du Nord to Cologne, and then German ICE train to Hanover.<BR>Journey time is 7 hours 2 minutes.<BR>You have 12 minutes to make the connection in Cologne, which should be easy.<BR>Trains leave Paris two hourly at 0655 0855 1055 etc.<BR>Reservations are compulsory on Thalys, optional on ICE.