Visiting Russia

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Julie

Visiting Russia

I'm taking my husband on a surprise trip to Russia (Moscow & St. Petersburg). Any advice on whether we need to take an organized tour like Globus or if not, where to stay? Thank you!

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Harris

Take a look at www.DiscoveringRussia.com. They are based in New York. I have used them before on my first trip to Russia, and will use them again in June for a relative's birthday party in St. Petersburg. It's owned by Mark Miller (who frequently posts here) and he and his staff are very knowlegable. All of their tours are customized, so you can choose how much "organization" you want. They run trips for some cultural groups as well (as Mark is a big supporter of Russian groups) and have great access. One of the best things about them is that they will work with you on a schedule, and make sure that you have as much free time as you want without missing out on things.

I looked at some of the Russian based tour operators and found them to be very difficult to deal with directly, and companies like Globus and GT had too much of a large group mentality.

I've stayed at the Nevsky Palace (when it was a Sheraton) and will probably stay at the Astoria for my next trip.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Andrea

We spent a week in Moscow and St. Petersburg and did not use a tour. I enjoy planning vacations on my own, and my husband and I both prefer our flexibility to a tour.

Dealing with the visa and hotel WAS more difficult than I've encountered in other countries, but it was perfectly possible - they were just a little grumpier and there was a little more red tape than usual. You can use a company just to get your visa and book hotels if you want to.

Getting around just requires a map and a smile, and it would be helpful to learn just the alphabet so that you can read street signs. Alternatively, you could bring a guidebook with the destinations written in the roman alphabet and Cyrillic, and just learn the words "please" and "thank you", and smile and point a lot. We found the Russian people to be extremely helpful and friendly (as long as they weren't working in a service industry).

I would recommend tours of the Hermitage and Kremlin, but these can be hired when you get there (literally outside the entrances).

I found hotels to be extremely expensive, falling into a few categories: Stunning historic hotels that run several hundred dollars per night, or hotels at or around $100 US per night with locations OUT of the major tourist areas. Or our choice (which I HIGHLY recommend if you prefer to spend your money on other things while on vacation), the Rossia. It's a hulking cement block with little to no charm (and that's just the staff), but it is around $100 US per night, it's clean, and it is LITERALLY right across the street from the Kremlin and Red Square. Some rooms, like ours, even had a small balcony and view of St. Basil's. The Intourist is similar in all respects; it's also a state-run hotel located on the other side of the Red Square.

Best of luck!

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Marc David Miller

Thanks, Harris.

If this is going to be a surprise (depending on the presentation) keep in mind the visa requirements; currently they are in flux, but you will need to submit the ORIGINAL passport (no copies currently) to the nearest Russian consulate or a visa agency. Processing takes anywhere from a day to two+ weeks (depending on fees paid).

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Deb

Julie, You should do a search on this board for "russia" and see previous posts on this subject. I went on my own but had a private guide recommended by Marc for a few hours the first and second day to get me into some of the busier sites. I don't care for organized tours so took the chance that I could do it on my own and it worked out pretty well. I had great hotels that were not very expensive and things generally ran smoothly despite not knowing the language or alphabet. You can e-mail me at [email protected] if you want more info.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Jan

Deb,
How do you get in quicker with guides? Can they bypass the lines for Hermitage and Russian Museum? thanks!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:56 AM
Deb

Yes, registered guides bypass the lines. The day I was there the Hermitage line was short so that wasn't a big deal but I am sure at other times it could be helpful. The lines at Peterhof though were outrageous so having a guide saved me hours of standing in line time. If you go with a private guide though you have to pay their hydrofoil fare and entrance(reduced for guides) and their hourly fee so it can add up. If you can share a guide that is great unless the cost is not of concern to you. The hourly rates are really very low for a guide so it was worthwhile. I personally did not enjoy a guide in the hermitage since I prefer just to wander on my own.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Jan

Thanks Deb! That is very helpful.