Visiting Ravenna

Search

Visiting Ravenna

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Pausanias

Visiting Ravenna

Hello All --

We'll be in Italy for two weeks this summer and would like to spend a day in Ravenna to see the ancient mosaics. Should we spend the night in Ravenna, or make a day trip from Bologna? I'm asking because the guide book decriptions of hotels and restaurants in Ravenna do not seem very enthusiastic. Appreciate the assistance.

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although it's been since '99 when I was there, I would suggest spending about 3 or 4 hours looking at the mosaics. They are unbelieveable and shouldn't be missed. They're all within walking distance of each other and you can buy a single ticket to get you into all of the buildings.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:55 AM

We visited Ravenna in 2000 as a day trip from Florence. Took an air conditioned diesel two-car train through the mountains, enjoyed Ravenna and the train ride. We also enjoyed watching (while eating gelato, of course) the citizens on their bikes (their normal mode of transport), from the young to the elderly ladies all nicely dressed. In the pedestrian zone, the middle white zone is reserved for the bicycles, so watch-out.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:01 AM

We spent most of a day and a night in Ravenna en route to Venice and were hard-pressed to see everything in the course of a late-morning/long afternoon. In retrospect, I wish we'd allowed a full day--the mosaics are breath-taking, and it was one of the highlights of our trip. BTW, at least one church required a taxi ride, and you shouldn't miss it. We stayed at the Hotel Bisanzio, a Best Western, and although it was a business-type hotel, which we'd ordinarily not pick (you're right, the choice isn't vast), it was very comfortable. We ate at a terrific restaurant recommended by the hotel, whose name escapes me (but I probably made a note of it and could look it up). So I'd encourage you to allow plenty of time and by all means spend a night.

Carolyn
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:29 AM

The church Carolynk is referring to is probably San Apollinare in Classe (there's also a San Apollinare in downtown Ravenna, if I recall correctly). Classe is, if you will, a "suburb" of Ravenna, and I was in Ravenna as a poor struggling student, so I took the train to Classe.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:49 AM

We did it as a day trip from Bologna with the large ceramics museum in Faenza included and did not feel that we missed anything.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Pausanias

Thanks for the information. I think we'd prefer to extend our time at the churches, so we'll probably stay in Ravenna. Appreciate the assistance.

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 10:41 AM
KT

To visit Sant'Apollinare in Classe, there's a pretty frequent bus to Classe from outside the Ravenna station. I did that; no problem and lots cheaper than a taxi.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 12:19 AM

Pausanias, I think you will love Ravenna. When I have been there we always stayed overnight (actually two nights each time so that we had one full day without arriving or departing). Not that two nights are necessary.

Ravenna is a wonderful town to walk in and of course the mosaics are breathtaking. Also, you might like to go to Dante's tomb while you are there. I know how to walk there but don't know how to give you directions but your hotel will be able to. It is only a few blocks from the main piazza, Piazza del Popolo. Always have had wonderful food in Ravenna. The residents are warm and friendly.

Do take time to sit and have a before dinner drink in the Piazza del Popolo. Beautiful piazza and you will enjoy people watching I am sure.

Have a wonderful visit.

Bologna is fabulous too. You will have fun!