Visiting Krakow in May

Search

Visiting Krakow in May

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visiting Krakow in May

I will be in Krakow for three days in early May. From what I have read, food is quite inexpensive. What are recommendations for good food at a reasonable price in Krakow? We will be staying in center city. Our preference would be food of the region, but we are not big pub or wine people.

We will be there for the two holidays, Labor Day and Constitution Day, what should we expect?

Finally, for a short outing (without a car), we were looking at visiting the town of Tarnow. Does anyone have recommendations, for or against, Tarnow?
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 10:17 AM

hey, right in the center you'll find a restaurant 'wesele'. also do a google map search for places like 'chlopskie jadlo' /i guess grodzka st/, 'miod malina' /grodzka/poselska corner/. there's one place at sw. jana as far as i remember.

a truly neat place is 'wierzynek', however expensive. that place is around since 14 cent. /of course different management . for a coffee you can go to traditional 'jama michalika' at florianska /near the florianska gate). not so expansive and one of the famous places in krakow.

other good coffee & cake place is 'kama' /jagiellonska/szewska corner/. homemade stuff and thay have no tourist prices.

the holiday weekend is short in pl these year, so imho it won't be too crowdy. but expect more tourist than usual.

i don't why you want to go tarnow. there's nothing. go to wieliczka salt mine or zakopane (take a very, very early bus NOT a train and late return bus). but i think 1 day might be too short for zakopane. the bus ride is like 3h. have fun!
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good suggestions. For a internet download of Krakow, go to www.inyourpocket.com. After clicking on the city, then click 'instant' for your download. Love Krakow. iris1745/dick
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 10:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi Jim,

DH and I are going to Krakow for his big birthday [and I get to go too!] in about 10 days time.

I'll be doing a trip report when we get back - promise. so with any luck we'll be able to recommend some good places.

regards, ann
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 11:04 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Guliwer, ul. Bracka 6. French country cuisine with some Polish specialties thrown into the mix. Something for everybody.

Terrific! We went last May.

Old Mar 20th, 2009, 06:48 PM

Pleasant holiday destination: Zakopane. Meaningful historical destination: Auschwitz.

Eating:
Across the river in old Jewish section Kazimierz is Artistic Cafe in Hotel Alef on ul. Szeroka...where Schindler dined with his family, where Speilberg relaxed during filming.
Also recommended is Pod Aniolami restaurant (Under the Angels)

Bill in Springfield MO
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 02:33 PM

In my opinion, the salt mines and Auschwitz are both must-see spots if you are in Krakow. If you only do one, don't miss the salt mines. Truly amazing and like nowhere else in the world.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 02:50 PM

hi jim,

we're off to krakow on Wednesday, back on Sun.

look out for my trip report! I'll try to report bacck on good [and hopefully cheap] eating places.

regards, ann
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 02:50 PM

oops - short-term meory loss- I posted twice!