Visiting Capri and Amalfi Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Four of us are booked for three nights on Capri (two full days) followed by four nights in Amalfi (three full days) in April, just after Easter. I'm putting together a booklet for the ladies, including our itinerary, where we're staying, history of the places we'll visit, what to do, what to see, where to shop, eat, etc. I've come up with ideas and would like a check from those who have been there to see if I'm missing anything important. I'm a photographer, so any suggestions for great photo spots (other than the obvious) would be appreciated.

Restaurant recommendations would be great -- we're not big spenders and we're not fast food people either. Something "middle of the road." I'm guessing we'll budget about $60 per person for lunch and dinner. Is that feasible?

Capri:
Wander the town, of course.
Blue Grotto
Chair lift
Anacapri churches
Villa San Michele

Amalfi:
Wander Amalfi, of course.
A morning or afternoon in Ravello
Positano (two ladies will most likely visit Le Sirenuse for the spa while the other two of us play with our cameras)
Pompeii

How difficult is it to get to Pompeii from Amalfi?

Thanks. Diane
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Before I recommend restaurants, let me know if you are open to taking the bus to a town about 40 minutes from Amalfi, Cetara. Cetara is the best food town on the coast and prices are lower than those in the more touristed towns.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

I would certainly throw out suggestions to the group, and I think they would see it as "an adventure" to find a really great restaurant. I always take a list with me filled with restaurant recommendations from this board, and we make it a point to go to them.

I do believe the two ladies would forego food for a massage. Not me.

bellastar, thanks for the info on getting to Pompeii. Could you give me an idea on how much time to allow for travel in each direction?
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Bellastar. I'm sure the ladies will all be on the lookout for the leather shop!
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 01:51 PM

LTT: Take a look at this report and then let me know if I can help with more food info. There is very good eating in Amalfi/Atrani, but I do recommend taking the bus to Cetara and dining at Al Convento. That stretch of the coast, between Amalfi and Cetara, is particularly glorious. Cetara is most picturesque.

Santa Caterina in Amalfi also has a luxe spa. But with so little time.....

http://www.hotelsantacaterina.it/eng/spa_center.html

More details:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35128776
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 02:45 PM

Bookmarking
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 04:51 PM
kja

Hi, luvtotravel -

In Capri, I had a wonderful, reasonably priced meal at Ristorante Buca Di Bacco (Via Longano, 35).

Enjoy!
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

Bellastar, I was just reading one of your posts from 2006. My heart goes out to you and I hope you find a great position soon...and in New York.

Ekscrunchy, I just spent a lot of my evening reading your trip report, and I want to get on a plane right now! I certainly wish we had more time for these lovely places. We are also staying at Floridiana. I'm not sure how the ladies will take it as I think they would prefer some place with a terrace and view. Floridiana just came in at #55 on Tripadvisor's list of the "100 Best Bargains in the World." I'm convinced we will enjoy it.

One of the ladies decided to take a cooking class instead of a massage. I think it's a good idea. She took one in Thailand and one in Paris, so this is certainly appropriate.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

kja -- thanks for the restaurant tip.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 03:36 AM

Fun trip! I suggest skipping the Blue Grotto if the lines are expected to be long and taking a boat trip around the island instead. It costs the same (if not less), you get to see much more, and they will probably take you into a different grotto where the light reflects off the sea floor anyways. The boats depart from the same area in Marina Grande.

Buco di Bacco was quite good, and I also really liked La Cisterna and Il Tinello, both located nearby one another in Capri center. Traditional Italian food, cozy atmosphere, reasonable prices, and very reasonable house wine. I don't have the addresses but I think if you ask around, they will be easy to find. Reservations seemed helpful since the places were so small.

For awesome photos, the hike to Villa Jovis is definitely worth it.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 04:10 AM

Luv: I am so glad you are staying at Floridiana. I vacillated endlessly between that hotel and the Luna Convento, which has a view but is much more expensive.
We absolutely adored the Floridiana and I think you will understand once you arrive. They do have rooms with small terraces facing the street, so you could ask for one of those if you like..

I will look forward to hearing all about your adventure.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 07:00 PM

I am an American living and providing daily excursions as well as a 6 day 7 night tour on the Amalfi Coast. Please visit my website at www.amalfivacations.com and let me know if you need any assistance or would like to book any trips.