Reload this Page >

visit scotland or switzerland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 04:36 PM
cathy

We are booking our first trip to Europe and trying to decide between the two places. We love the mountains, oceans, getting out and about in the country - not always being in the thick of tourism. Which do you recommend?

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 04:44 PM
thelma

You won't find very many oceans in Switzerland, so I suggest Scotland.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 04:54 PM
cathy

Doesn't have to be both. Just the nicest place to visit. Seems with Switzerland people love it or hate it. Scotland seems to be well liked. Just wanted the pros & cons of both.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Grasshopper

I've been to both and while I certainly enjoyed Scotland, Switzerland has so much more to offer. It is spectacular and you can find wonderful lakes, amazing mountains, great valleys and wonderful towns and cities. My vote would be for Switzerland.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Jan

Love them both. I like Scotland for Edinburgh and the people. I have only been once and desperately want to go back soon. I like Switzerland for the sheer beauty of the country, whether mountains or rolling hills. There is no other place so green (well...maybe Seattle, WA!).<BR><BR>Both are easy to travel within for a first timer. Both have great hiking opportunities and places to get away from the maddening crowd.<BR><BR>Hard to go wrong!<BR>Cheers,<BR>Jan

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 04:02 AM
Haggis MacTavish

<BR><BR>I'm Scottish and my vote is for Switzerland.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 04:48 AM
xxx

I've been to both, and although Switzerland is probably my favorite European destination, I think for a first trip to Europe I would have to say Scotland. Rent a car and drive. Be sure to see Edinburgh, then head out in the country. Stay at B&amp;B's, and perhaps on a farm for a real treat,be sure to visit St. Andrews, Pitlochry, Isle of Skye, Glencoe. Plockton and take a boat trip out to see the seals. Save Switzerland for the next trip.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 06:25 AM
bettyk

For a first timer, I would think Switzerland would be easier to drive since they drive on the right like the US! Scotland is very beautiful, but Switzerland is awsome. You would really enjoy either and should probably do both eventually.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:11 AM
Kendra

I've been to both and hands down -Scotland. Spectacular scenery, great people, good food &amp; beer. Once you get out of the major cities, driving is easy, even though it's on the opposite side of the road. We went to Scotland in late March one year and it was great -none of the places we visited were crowded at all. The weather wasn't too bad either, but you definitely don't go to Scotland for warm/sunny weather anyway!<BR><BR>Switzerland is very nice too, however, I prefer Scotland.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:42 AM
paul

switzerland can be visited without a car and has some great scenery. scotland needs a car but has wilder areas to visit although mountains does not really describe their hill ranges. You really need a car in Scotland. on our last visit, we met a 70ish retired schoolteacher who always walked Scotland in the summer with a little backpack. She bemoaned the fact that people were always stopping to offer the 'poor old soul' a lift and interrupting her reveries. a great country to wander.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:43 PM
wayne

If you like mountains, chocolate and cuckoo clocks- Switzerland. <BR><BR>If you like hauntingly beautiful lonely sceneries, history and haggis- Scotland.<BR>

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Meg

Actually, you don't really need a car in Scotland - I've been all over without one on several different trips. Train, ferry, and long distance coach are good as far as they go, but it's the local buses and (in really remote areas) even mail and school buses that fill in the gaps. Unfortunately, the first time you do it, it can be intimidating because it's really difficult to get the information ahead of time. For instance, ask in the tourist office in Portree or Uig about buses in Lewis, and they'll act like you're asking about Moscow. But take a leap of faith and hop on the Tarbert ferry, and when you get off, you'll find the tourist office right across the street with gloriously detailed (and accurate!) schedules of all the routes on the islands. Ordinary Scots often actually take the bus/train/ferry to get around, and in m opinion doing the same is a great way to see the country and have encounters with people that you'd never have met while shut up in a tin box with only your travelling companion(s). <BR><BR>Sorry, Cathy - this is probably off-topic for you, I just hate the idea that anyone might miss Scotland just because they don't drive or can't rent a car or aren't comfortable driving n the UK.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Melanie

Cathy -<BR><BR>I've been to both, and while they're both beautiful and special in their own way, I'd have to vote for Switzerland. Language is not a barrier as English is widely spoken and knowing a tiny bit of German (or French or Italian - depending on which part of the country you visit), can go a long way.<BR><BR>The Swiss rail system is the best I've ever come across and it's an incredibly easy country for independent travelers to get around in.<BR><BR>Both countries offer abundant outdoor activities and spectacular scenery.<BR><BR>No matter which you choose to visit, you really can't go wrong. Good luck!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 03:01 AM
xxx

Tough choice. They are both fantastic. Although you don't have ocean in Switzerland, you do have beautiful lakes. They both will give you what you want, mountains, hiking, getting out and about in the country, not being in the thick of tourism. <BR><BR>Scotland is probably less expensive than Switzerland. Switzerland is easy to get around without a car, Scotland is easier with a car. Food in Scotland is fantastic (it is not England), food in Switzerland is also very good. For really getting away from it all, Scotland probably has more options - there are places you can go where you won't see more than two or three cars in a day. Switzerland has some stupendous views and you feel like singing &quot;the Hills are alive&quot; but it is maybe a bit more difficult to get totally away from people. Might have something to do with the weather. Depending on when you are going, Switzerland will have fields of wildflowers, Scotland will have purple hills of rhododendrons and fantastic trips to see seals and puffins and other sea birds. Scotland has a feeling of more open space. <BR><BR>I've been to both many times, and I love them both. All said, I would probably have a second home in Scotland rather than Switzerland, despite the weather tendencies.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:56 AM
ttt

tippy top