Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

when do the tulips bloom? best time to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:28 AM
diane

Promised myself I would go to Holland as my family is from there. I am considering going in late March. Have to make a decision quick.<BR>Would love someone who really knows when the flowers will be at their best this year.<BR>Also any tips on bed and breakfasts? Will I be bored in Holland for a week? <BR>Thanks,<BR>Diane

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 01:18 AM
jen

Diane, while no one knows when the flowers will be at their best this year, you should go when the Keukenhof is open: March 21 - May 18, 2003 (see also the site www.keukenhof.com and click on the tulip with the British flag). In general, the daffodils, crocuses &amp; tulips are earlier than other flowers. Early April might be better than late March if March is still cold. For B&amp;B, do a search under Haarlem - there's one small hotel that is constantly recommended. There's so much to do and see within 1 hour of Amsterdam/Haarlem; no reason to be bored for a week!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 02:10 AM
Henda

Diane,<BR>We went the first week in May last year and the flowers were still very beautiful. It is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. The weather was still a bit cold with ocasional rain.We stayed at the Harlemsche pension.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:20 AM
Sjoerd

Best time for tulips is from around the 10th of April to around the 5th of May.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:22 AM
Sjoerd

and to: &quot;Will I be bored in Holland for a week?&quot;<BR>I am in Holland for almost 42 years and I am still not bored. If you'll be bored depends more on you than on the country. Enough to see, do and experience here! <BR>

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 07:01 AM
patg

The exact timing of the best bloom will depend on the weather in Spring; although most individual species will hold a bloom for only 2-3 weeks, bulbs are planned to flower in sequence from late March to early May. <BR>I would recommend going in late April as this is peak time for mid-season tulips and coincides with the fruit trees blooming at Keukenhof. The combination is too beautiful to believe.