Visible Means of Support Requirement, Denmark

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving Boston for DK tomorrow eve (9/8/10). On a Delta airlines site, I just read that DK requires visitors to have a "visible means of support" of at least 30. USD per day (or DKK 300) in order to enter the country. Is this correct? I was planning to travel with a minimum amount of US dollars, and to use my US credit card and Fidelity Visa Debit card (for cash advances) for my expenses. I will be staying with, and traveling with, distant Danish cousins the entire time that I am in DK, and so will not need any money for lodging or travel. However, if I cannot get into DK without the $30. per day. I will have to carry well over $500. in cash with me when I leave home.
As you can see, I need a quick clarification on this one.
Thanks very much to anyone who can help me with this. Dianne Catalano
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 10:58 PM

Do you have a return ticket home? That plus a credit card and ATM card should be enough. I haven't been to Denmark in a long time but I was never questioned about my resources.

Perhaps you could give a link to this information your read. No one expects people to carry cash or travelers' checks today as ATMs and credit cards are the preferred method of obtaining money or paying for goods/services.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 11:31 PM

You are worrying about nothing - most countries need a visible means of support but rarely ask to see it. Credit cards and ATM cards etc are means of support, it doesn't have to be cash.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 02:27 AM

If you are worried, just carry a copy of your latest bank statement. This, together with your ATM or debit card, is your visible means of support.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much everyone. Yes, Adrienne, I do have a round trip ticket. I will follow Alec's suggestion, and print off a copy of my bank statement just to be on the safe side.

I am sorry, Alec, but I no longer have the link to the information. It was something I found after I went online to check Delta's baggage regulations.

Dianne
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 05:39 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. A credit card is enough. In reality, they will barely look at your passport, and maybe get a grunt.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 06:38 AM

In your question you mention "cash advance"... don't do that unless under the direst of necessities!

You'll pay high interest from the moment the money comes out of the machine until your credit card is paid off in full.

Charge things you can and use your ATM card to get cash from your bank account.

Rob
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 06:40 AM

We just returned from Denmark. There were no questions asked about means of support. The person who stamped our passports knows we have a return ticket and probably made a judgment on whether we looked like we could support ourselves.

Many countries have similar laws and don't worry about targeting people selectively by how they look. If we appeared to have no means of support, he may have asked us about it. I'm sure a credit card, or a debit card and withdrawel receipt, is evidence enough.