Search

visa to Russia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
visa to Russia

Is it possible to get a visa yourself at the Russian Embassy in DC? The company I am traveling with wants me to use an expensive courier service. I live near DC and would like to save that expense. It is for my husband and myself Thanks
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 09:30 AM

I got one myself four years ago. The process could have changed, but I would do a www.google.com search on the Internet. The San Francisco embassy had a great website and I was told they were not as picky as the DC embassy. So, I followed everything it said and did it on my own.

Be sure to give them a day to day account of what and where you will be during the trip. Once you get your visa, you can pretty much do anything you want, but allow yourself a couple of extra days to get out of Russia. There could be a strike, boat, bus, plane problem, so that is the reason.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Another good source is via Lonely Planet, East Europe, Postcards, visas

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 10:09 AM

We do work with people who get the visas themselves from the Russian Consulate, but you have to ask yourself if it is worth the time and trouble to save yourself $50-150. You'll have to visit the Consulate twice (and possibly wait in line) and get a certified check.

You can only get a visa for the length of time indicated on your invitation (most often from the hotel in Russia, or travel company)--they won't allow you any extra days.

I also recommend against mailing the application into the Consulate--we have had many problems with clients doing this.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:11 AM

You can definitely do this on your own. We've done it twice in the past 3 years. No problems.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 02:50 AM

It is possible to do it yourself but the pros and cons must be weighed up. At the London consulate for instance, the lines can start at 5am. If you happen not to get through the gate by 12 they turn you away. They are closed on Wednesdays plus Russian and UK holidays. Once inside the consulate you have to stand in line again (and you do not want to stand behind a courier who has brought in 50 applications at one time)

You need half a day to stand in line, if your application is accepted, otherwise you have to come back another day with the correct documents. Then another half day to stand in line and collect & pay for the visa. There is no way you can have a discussion on your itinerary nor can you ask for extra days. The visa is issued according to the invitation.

The visa agencies however, have a pass to get in and they bypass the lines.

London might be an extreme example, DC might be less busy and easier to do yourself.

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:41 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I am taking a river cruise in June with Intrav, and using them to obtain your visa is $162. I've found online services for cheaper ($130). But Intrav's literature says if you obtain a visa on your own behalf, they will charge $75 to obtain the "individual visa invitation from Intrav." What does THAT mean? Anybody know? I'm not sure why I need an invitation! It sounds to me like one of those "extra charges" tour companies try to add. It infuriates me - which is why I hardly ever go with an organized group. Can't I just get my own visa, show up in Moscow, and get a taxi to the ship? Plus, it's problematic for me because I'm planning on going to Peru in April and NEED my passport for that time. Suggestions? Thanks.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:59 AM

The Europe board is so busy that 20 minutes after you've posted, your posting is nearly off the main page! topping
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Althom, there are basically three components to buying a Russian visa (based on a 30 day tourist visa, with a two week turnaround for an American citizen based in the US):

1. Invitation
2. Visa procurement
3. Visa registration

We process requests for Russian visas several times a day, and have a reasonably firm handle on the requirements and where you need proper support.

The Invitation is relatively easy to obtain and is necessary to get the visa. The visa procurement is done through the Russian consulate, and the visa registration is normally done through your hotel (if not staying in a hotel, you normally need to go to the company that issued the invitation in Russia). I would NEVER recommend that you obtain your visa from anyone beside the tour company for the Russian river cruises, as you do run the risk that they will not register you due to mistakes on the paperwork by others. The $75 charge is probably for the invitation and the registration, and under no circumstances would I have anyone beside the cruise company perform the registration.

I would not get the visa on my own if I were you, I would let the cruise company get it. You can always find something cheaper, but especially in dealing in the Russian travel market it is easier to get your services from one vendor who will take responsibility for everything, rather than piece together things that might save a few dollars but could complicate the entire trip. The same goes for a transfer between the airport in Moscow and the ship--I would arrange this through the cruise company, as they will get a car for you which knows which ship terminal to bring you to (and taxis are not at all user-friendly at Russian airports).
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the advice! I think we'll do as you suggest.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 04:46 PM

Ten years ago, we took the INTRAV river cruise/tour...We were REALLY happy to have the transfer from the airport to the ship-we wouldn't have been able to negotiate the taxi scene at the airport. That was our first visit to Russia and it was an excellent experience. It was worth every penny!
INTRAV was outstanding and we would use them again if we were planning another tour type trip.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:22 PM

Two other points:

1. The Russian consulate's fee for the visa is $100 for a two week turn-around (so their fee is only $62 for the invitation, visa procurement and the registration (probably plus FedEx charges)

2. If you are concerned you can ask for a faster turn-around time from Intrav (in light of the Peru trip.