Search

Gap year in Russia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gap year in Russia

Hi,

I'm considering doing a gap year in Russia for six months from January 2014 (aged 18) and was wondering if some more experienced travellers could comment on the feasibility of my plans. At the moment I just have the big idea and need to explore my options.

I plan to spend four months preparing to go out there by learning Russian and reading as much Russian literature and history as possible. And also getting a job! (Sadly a first)

I would fly out to St Petersburg or Moscow. The intention is to have a job lined up out there (does anyone know any ways of making this happen?) and do that for any amount of time and just live and experience either one or both of these great cities.

With some money obtained I would then travel the trans-Siberian railway at a very leisurely place. I'm interested in doing some labour as a farm hand or whatever and living with a family. I would also like to do some trekking along the way and spend a while playing rugby at a club somewhere. Ultimately, I would go all the way through Russia and finish up in Beijing.

The big questions I have are thus: How much money do you think I will need? Will I be able to get a job out there? How much of the language can I learn in four months and if it is not much, will that be an obstacle? Is six months too long for a lone traveller? Is travelling for that long in Russia safe?

Any replies to those would be hugely appreciated. As I say, I've got what I think is a great idea but I'm just really unsure whether it's practical.

Thank you,

Jack
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suggest you start on the Lonely Planet website - more gap year and Russian travelers there.

Also here: http://www.waytorussia.net/

I would have thought your chances of getting a work visa were remote.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 05:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Threads about Russia are posted on the Europe forum.

What nationality are you? For most countries, chances for a a work visa (or any visa longer then 3 months) would be slim to none.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 05:44 PM

From waytorussia:

Work visas are given to foreigners who have an official employment contract in Russia. It's a very long process to get one and only the companues that have quotas to employ foreigners can apply for it. However, such visa allows you to stay as long as you need in Russia (unlike business visa which only allows a maximum of 90 days within a 180-day period and which doesn't give you the right to work in Russia).

Tourist visas are only good for 30 days.
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm too much of a clown to have realised to put this in Europe! I've always thought of Russia as Asian.

Visas look like a problem...
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 02:20 PM

Russia is both, more population in Europe, more land mass in Asia. Fodors has chosen to put it on the Europe board.

I would say the visa issue totally precludes you working in Russia, unless you can find a Russian company to offer you a job before you apply. At age 18 I would think that that won't happen. Actually, your ability to find a job in any country in Europe is limited.