Search

Visa- Lost?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visa- Lost?

5 weeks ago, I sent two visa applications to the Russian Embassy in London. One was my boyfriends' and one was his brothers. I sent the exact same information with each (passport, form, photo, official itinerary thingy, and pre-addressed/pre-paid special delivery envelope).

3 weeks ago (2 weeks after sending), my boyfriend recieved his passport back with russian visa.

my boyfriend's brother has still not recieved his visa. what do i do? i know the application was recieved by the embassay, i know i included the correct information, i can only assume they haven't issued yet or it was lost in the return post.

i can't find a phone number for the russian embassy online. (they're both headed to russia on 15-Oct- England match).

thank you so much in advance.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 10:29 PM

Telephone: (020) 7229 2666/3628/6412
(020) 7229 8027 Consular Section
(020) 8 341 7979
(020) 8340 4492/1907 Office of the Trade Representative

Facsimile: (020) 7727 8625
020 7229 3215 Consular Department
020 848 0112 Office of the Trade Representative

Email: [email protected] Embassy Information
[email protected] Consular Department
[email protected] Office of the Trade Representative

From www.fco.gov.uk
http://tinyurl.com/3cdwpp

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 11:09 PM

It was brave to submit a postal application. It might be best to visit the consulate, if you have a receipt for the visa application. You may not get any joy from calling, as some numbers are just information lines.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 11:11 PM

This is why we never recommend posting items to Russian consulates (either go in person or use an expediting company). I would be shocked if anyone answered the phone in the Consular section (the Trade Representative has nothing to do with visa issues). You may have to go directly to the Consulate in person.

Have you looked up the tracking number to see if it has been lost by the postal service or courier company?

Sometimes the Consulate in New York holds applications for visas which aren't due quickly (beyond their normal processing times). We've never had a client miss a trip because of this, but it sometimes cuts things short.

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 11:13 PM

As Odin pointed out (we apparently were typing at the same time!), IF you have a receipt from the Consulate you have something of a stronger case. Has the payment been processed? If so it indicates that the Consulate has at least received the materials.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the info.

both visa applications were sent in the same envelope to the London Embassay via Special Delivery. I have the online printout that shows they were delivered. by the shear fact that one passport was returned, the other one must have been delivered to the russian embassay.

either the visa hasn't been issued
or
it's been lost in the post coming home.

i'll start calling.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

i've called. no answer from any of the numbers (one they did pick up but would not deal with consular issues).

i've emailed.

i've faxed.

all i can do i wait.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 06:27 AM

You may be waiting for nothing. It might be an idea to visit the consulate if you don't hear within a couple of days.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 11:48 AM

Nothing that you say surprises me (I've facilitated over 500 visas to Russia and the former Soviet Union in the last few years).

First make certain that the courier did not lose it. Did you give the Consulate two envelopes? If so then put a trace on the lost envelope.

I agree with Odin: in dealing with probably 15 Russian Consulates in the US and Europe, I would never expect to handle such matters over the phone (even if I had a relationship with the Consul General). You need to visit the Consulate in person.

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

well. pleasant surprise.

i faxed & emailed the consulate spelling out all the details.

they sent me a response email within 12 hours.

gave me the tracking number of the "lost" passport. turns out Royal Mail tried to deliver it, but didn't put a card through the post. So- i've left my boyfriend's brother with the details and she'll follow-up with royalmail.

so- what i want to say- dealing with the russian embassy in london is not IMPOSSIBLE. yes, if you have the extra cash use a courier. but it is possible to apply for a russian visa, via mail, yourself.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:03 PM

Congratulations on tracking the passport/visa.

I would never rely on the good graces of the staff of the Russian consulates' visa sections for giving assistance. A recent example: one client went to the Consulate in New York in August, was told on a Friday that he "probably" could use a faxed copy of his student visa invitation, and on the following Monday when he submitted his visa application along with that fax was told by the same clerk that he needed an original invitation--that bit of misinformation cost him a week and a new airline ticket.