brussels restaurant recommendations

Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

brussels restaurant recommendations

We will be in Brussels in a few days, and I would appreciate any restaurant recommendations, both for breakfasts and dinners. We will be staying at the Marriott, and in case we decide not to eat breakfast at the hotel, what other suggestions for breakfast nearby? Also, we'd be interested in suggestions for dinners.....not too touristy and not too pricey, anywhere in brussels. Thank you!!
Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:24 AM

These are our favorites (some with web sites):

Shake Hands--very popular, reliable, traditional, nontouristy restaurant in the Stockel neighborhood (take the metro to the end stop, Stockel). www.shakehands.be

Notos--haute cuisine, Greek style. Excellent Greek food and wine, NOT your local taverna stuff. www.notos.be
On rue Livourne, close to the Ave. Louise (the Bailli tram stop on the 93 and 94 trams). www.notos.be

Les Brasseries Georges. A Brussels classic, Parisian bistro style. At the intersection of Chaussee Waterloo and Ave. Winston Churchill. Very popular for Sunday lunch. Seafood a specialty, but it's all good. Terrific wine list. www.brasseriesgeorges.be

Le Chalet de La Foret. Not that close, in Uccle, but well worth the cab ride (if you want one splurge dinner). www.lechaletdelaforet.be

One of the easiest things to do is go to the Chaussee Waterloo in Ixelles, around the 400 block) and just check out all the very good, moderately priced restaurants you head up the street...Toucan, En Face de Parachute, La Poste, Lettre a Elise, Le Fruit Defendu (an excellent newcomer), Parachute Parc (newish upscale tapas bar off the Ch. Waterloo by the Parc Tenbosch). All are detailed on www.resto.be The whole Chatelain/Tenbosch neighborhood is just brimming with good quality, medium priced restaurants...there are many more besides those I've listed.

Lola's on the Sablon is still fashionable, chic and good after all this years.

If you're in the mood for chicken, Canterbury's, by the Ixelles ponds (lakes) is the best place in town. Excellent frites as well.

An inexpensive but popular neighborhood stalwart in the Montgomery circle area is Martin-Pecheur (kingfisher). No reservations. An easy walk down Brand Whitlock from Montgomery Circle or right by the Georges Henri undeground tram stop. Across from Martin Pecheur (on the same side of Brand Whitlock) is (arguably) the best Portugese restaurant in town, alas, its name escapes me at the moment.

Over in the EU, on rue Franklin, Atelier's not bad and they've got a good appetizer buffet (high quality stuff, not your Country Buffet salad bar).

None of these are right by the Marriott, but they are off the tourist radar and easily reached by mass transit or taxi.
Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:39 AM

If I had to list those restaurants above in order of preference, it would probably be:

1. Le Chalet de la Foret
2. En Face de Parachute
3. Shake Hands (this is one of those wonderful neighborhood places that--thankfully--never makes it into guidebooks)
4. Les Brasseries Georges
5. Lola
6. Canterbury (higher if I was in the mood for chicken) and if was cold, as they have a nice fireplace
7. Notos (higher for food alone, but when it's busy, service suffers somewhat)
8. Les Larmes du Tigre (not on the list above, but if you're in the mood for Thai...)
9. Lettre a Elise (specializing in grilled meats, for nights when DH is in serious carnivore mode)
10. Martin-Pecheur (if I wanted to go someplace last minute...unlike those above, where reservations are usually advised) or if I were in the mood for a good "filet pur" steak).
Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:51 AM

BTilke,
Do you know if La Vache qui Regarde Passer les Trains is still in the Galeries St-Hubert, and if so, is their breakfast as good as their chocolate? (I can't find any information online newer than 2001).
Sep 3rd, 2007, 09:52 AM

bookmarking
Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM

The last time I went to La vache qui...was some time ago and it was their location on the corner of Chaussee Waterloo and Chaussee de Charleroi where it turned into Ave. Bruggman (aka the Ma Campagne tram stop). It's no longer there. I never went to the one in the galeries...I don't go down to the Grand'Place area that often. So I have no idea if it's still there, sorry.

If I'm not having a bowl of Extra cereal at home, my default breakfast choice is usually the nearest Pain Quotidien ...I'm not big on their coffee, but I do like their fresh squeezed OJ and croissants. For example, I might have coffee and croissant at the PQ on the Sablon, but then wander a few doors down to Au Vieux St. Martin for their decadent cappuccinos.

Or Caffe Natural (sp) on the Ave. Louise, great cappuccinos served by congenial, good looking Italian guys. If the cocker is with me, we have to go to Toucan's on Chaussee Waterloo for cappuccino because they serve it with a small slice of homemade pound cake and she always has dibs on that.
Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:11 AM

BTilke (a bit of a highjack here). I never posted a trip report and never thanked you for your suggestions in May when I had similar questions. Thank you so much for the suggestion to see the Palace greenhouses. They were wonderful. I even walked past a shop with all sorts of dog and cat items in the window, including spaniels and took a photo and thought of you. Thank you again.
Sep 3rd, 2007, 11:31 AM

How nice! I'm glad you enjoyed your trip...what did you think of the Bristol? Did you ride any trams? (We had talked about streetcars in the thread mentioning the greenhouses.) Any favorite restaurants?
Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:20 PM

No trams. But I did see them. We found the palace by divine intervention. I don't know quite how it happened but someone who spoke no English asked us what we were looking for (on the metro map) and told us how to find it. Quite amazing...

The Bristol had no rooms for us and put us up in an apt around the corner. It was a townhouse w/full kitchen, W/D, LR, BR, loft, garden etc....for our 90 Euros. (!!!!) Had dinner at the Conrad on the terrace and danced to a techno DJ there (private party). And did lots more. On to Brugges where a carnival was set up on the way into the city. Quite the surprise entrance to the medieval city!! I should do a report. It was a wonderful trip!