Virgin Air/SecurityLondon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving Monday on Virgin Air. Does anyone have experience (especially lately) with their security? My anxiety is only for the plane, not the city of London. That can't be any more dangerous that DC.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:48 PM

Nothing to worry about - All the British carriers - Virgin included - have had rigorous security for years. The USA is just starting to catch up re airline security. You would likely be safer on VS than on most American lines.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 02:58 AM

On the flight leaving London, you will be questioned including an odd question to throw you off. Just answer it! I won't give away the answers!<BR><BR>On flights from the US they just ask one question about whether you are carrying battery operated devices. I think this is to trip up the ordinary person. If you say &quot;no&quot; you are lying. Everyone carries several items, possibly mobile phone/cell phone, watch, alarm clock, pager, electric shaver, noise cancelling headphones, Palm or PDA, laptop, CD player, camera, etc.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 04:19 AM

Hiroshi, thanks for the info. I am flying VA Monday. I would have said no to the question about batteries. I would not have been lying, I just would not have thought of my watch and my digital camera, whoops, my travel alarm clock..gosh, what else?? Interesting...One more aspect of travel these days.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I flew Virgin from Dulles to Heathrow a couple of weeks ago. I noticed more security in BOTH airports, particularly scrutiny of passports and searching carry on bags. I was questioned about my child having a different last name than mine. I was wanded and de-shoed (heavy shoes) both ways as well as having my hand luggage searched. It was all done efficiently. Lines moved but they were short lines. That should be true for you on Monday.<BR><BR>We were told at each airline checkpoint that passengers who were not onboard or in direct contact with a gate attendant 30 minutes prior to the flight might have their luggage removed from the plane and be denied boarding. This rule may have been in place all along but I don't ever recall hearing it repeated so frequently.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 06:50 AM

Well, I wouldn't be lying if I said that I didn't have anything battery operated. I don't wear a watch, I leave a camera and a cell phone in the UK, and I don't take a travel alarm. Will I still be thrown into airport jail?<BR><BR>Aren't most of the security procedures the responsibility of the airport, not the airline?
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 10:34 AM

One time, I answered &quot;no&quot; and the guard said &quot;how about an alarm clock?&quot;. I then remembered how many things I had! They will not imprison you for making a mistake. Just leave the grenades at home.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 11:06 AM

Elainee: Just a minor point that might prevent a misunderstanding. The acronym for Virgin Atlantic is VS -- not VA.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I too am going on Monday and one could go nuts reading all of the warnings, etc. I guess if there are free drinks as another post discusses, I will just have to partake and not even think about the terrorists.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 03:20 PM

damama,<BR><BR>I don't know which class you're flying but our flight was about half full so even those of us schlubs in economy had room to spread out and be comfortable. Hope it's the same for you too.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

you can't be too much of a schlub if you are an outer banks girl!
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:11 PM

damama,<BR><BR>Have a super trip. Report back!
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:30 PM

RELAX AND ENJOY YOURSELF....