Vintage Clothes shopping in London???

Aug 12th, 2002, 09:30 AM
mrs. parker

Vintage Clothes shopping in London???

Hello

I will be in London for a couple of days in September, and I was wondering if there is any place specific that I should check out for some fun Vintage 60's Mod clothes???

Any places to stay away from would be much appreciated as well...

Thanks

Aug 12th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Kate

Steinberg & Tolkein is the famous one, but it's a bit of a mess and very overpriced. It will probably, to be fair, have the perfect dress for you, because its stock is gigantic. That's on the King's Road, about half-way along. (very long road).

Vent, on Ledbury Road, is a tiny tiny shop, stuffed to the beams, and has a lot of 60s stuff. It's also not cheap, and it's open on Fridays and Saturdays only. It's close to the Portobello Road, and on Friday, the Portobello has a vintage clothes market - on the upper end. People like Donna Karan and Stella McCartney are said to pop by for inspiration, once in a while.

On and around the Portobello Road, you may find The Antique Clothing Shop and One of a Kind. Then, a little further up, Relik, on Golborne Road. Celebrities are supposed to be very fond of Relik. I've never been to Relik, and can't find a link for you. But I've browsed in the other shops and they seem pretty nice. If you just walk along the Portobello Road, you will see a few vintage shops whose names I've forgotten - sorry.

There's also Blackout on Endell Street in Covent Garden, and in the Thomas Neal shopping centre in Covent Garden, there's a very posh vintage shop, which isn't overpriced nonetheless, and I can't remember its name, sorry. It does mostly antique petticoats, though, not 60s stuff.

Aug 12th, 2002, 11:18 AM
mrs. parker

Kate

WOW!!! That all sounds wonderful! thanks for all of the helpful info. I figure that i'll be away from Ebay, so i might as well see what i can find in London while i'm there

Aug 12th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Kate

Hi, me again.

This link, scroll all the way down, and the vintage shops around the Portobello Road are listed, including Rellik - if they are going to spell it stupidly, it's no wonder I can't get the name right....

http://www.portowebbo.co.uk/nottinghilltv/Fashion%20shops.htm

Boo's closet, at the top of that, is very fun. Nice hip restaurants in that area, too - do go to Tom's Deli, also the v hip E&O, v cool Lisboa Patisserie, Grand Union Pub, the Electric Brasserie, and 192 (which featured in Bridget Jones's Diary), etc.

(and if there's a good movie on, the Electric Cinema is the best cinema in London. Huge leather armchairs and footstools, with great 'proper' food.)

I found this list, too:

Where to find "used luxury" in London:
- 162 - 162 Holloway Rd., N7
- Annie's - 10 Camden Passage, N1
- Blackout II - 51 Endell St., WC2
- Cloud Cucko Land - 6 Charlton Place, N1
- Cornucopia - 12 Upper Tachbrook St., SW1
- Rellik - 8 Golborne Rd., W10
- Steinberg & Tolkien - 193 King's Rd., SW3
- True Value Vintage Clothing - 110-112 Chesire St., E26EJ/Unit 26 Camden Stables Market - Chalk Farm Rd. NW1

but I don't know anything about the places I haven't mentioned. Hope you find something great.

Aug 12th, 2002, 12:49 PM
amy

If you're in Chelsea for Steinberg and Tolkien, stop by Butler and Wilson-where the stars also shop-it's on Fulham Road in about the same location, so if you walk straight up from Steinberg or vice versa, you can't miss it, but be sure to go upstairs.

Aug 12th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Elizabeth

What super information.

Do you know if any of these places have things from the 40s? (Which is what we all used to wear in New YOrk in the early 70s, when they were $5.)

Aug 12th, 2002, 11:20 PM
Kate

Steinberg has lots of 40s stuff - really, their stock is gigantic. But it's not like a lovely couturey vintage shop like Didier Ludot in Paris, it's just squished onto two floors. Vent and Rellik are a lot more modern. The one that isn't Blackout, that's in that shopping centre in Covent Garden (it's a tiny little thing, not a mall, in a cobbled area next to a Diesel shop) is more about 40s and 50s, with some original Victorian underwear. Damn, I just can't remember the name!