Villefranche-Sur-Mer Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested in anyone's hotel suggestions for Villefranche-Sur-Mer for a two week stay. I'm considering taking an intensive french course at the Institut de Francais in March and the student apartments look a little dreary. I'd like to stay near the school (in Villefranche) but have a nice room to return to at the end of a grueling day. And room service -- that would be good. Any ideas?
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 01:17 AM

Babette, a friend of my mother took that course; it's very good, but hard work; you'll have to do homework in the evenings (so roomservice would come in handy!). My mom's friend stayed at the Royal Riviera in Beaulieu, but that is expensive. Perhaps check the Versailles; just outside Villefranche. I haven't stayed there but have eaten there; the view is amazing. There are some comments about the hotel on this forum; search for it.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 06:32 AM

Hotel Welcome is hard to beat.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 07:02 AM

I've stayed next door at the La Flore, but would choose the Versailles. Great views from the private balconies, easy parking.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 11:37 AM

I loved the Hotel Welcome. We stayed there for a week last summer. Nice patios overlooking the bay. Easy walking to restaurants and the train.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 01:21 PM

One to avoid: the Bahia Vista.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 01:44 PM

babette it really depends on budget, time of year etc. I stayed at the Hotel Welcome. It sits in front of the marina. My room had a small balcony & water view. There was a Cocteau inspired mural on the wall which served as the visual headboard. The room wasn't huge but it did have a desk as I recall. I could imagine myself there studying, particularly with the door to the balcony open. It has no pool, it's reasonably priced but I'm not sure there's room service. They serve breakfast in the morning but can't remember if they have a proper restaurant. It is very convenient to restos though. Others on this board have stayed at La Flore which does have a pool & sits higher up. Check them both & the Versailles. I think that's all there is in Villefranche unless you want to try to rent an apt, but then no room service.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 03:39 PM

babette,
Another vote for the Hotel Welcome. Both hotel and location are really hard to beat!
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 03:45 PM

Babette, I've just rtealized you're the one with the fancy French MIL who came to NY for Xmas. Inquiring minds want to know. How was the trip, hotel (Iroquois as I recall) shopping, etc.????
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 08:24 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Versailles in September. Spectacular views & sizeable room, but incredibly indifferent service (the worst we had on our two-week trip) and very expensive restaurant (breakfast was 12-13 euro).
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all you for for such excellent information! Can anyone provide a website for the Versailles? (Searches keep leading me to Louis' place)

While I don't think I'll need a pool in March, The Royal Riviera in Beaulieu looks real nice plus has a gym and hammam, which would also be nice after a day of school. (Can't you see that I feel I deserve some pampering if I'm spending 2 weeks intensely studying??) And the rates aren't that bad since I'm looking at March. I just want to be conveniently close (quick after lunch power nap, anyone?) Is it closer to the center of Villefranche than Hotel du Cap?

mclaurie, never, EVER travel with a fancy french mother-in-law! You can not win. Do you really want to hear the details of THAT trip?
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 12:09 AM

I recently surfed a site that had some accommodations in and around villafranche try http://www.e-accom.com
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 04:38 AM

Whoa. Don't mention Hotel Welcome &amp; Hotel du Cap in the same sentence, let alone the same paragraph. Lest we've steered you wrong, Hotel Welcome is <b>basic&lt;b/&gt;, good value for money and clean. It ain't the Ritz by any stretch.

Here's the website for the Versailles

http://www.hotel-versailles-villefra....cote.azur.fr/

It looks very nice sitting up high. The Welcome sits low in town if you know what I mean.

Yes, I believe Beaulieu would be closer to Villefranche than Hotel du Cap because H du C is on the end of the peninsula. But if you will have a car, I guess it doesn't really matter (but parking could be a challenge at the school).

I think there has been discussion of the Royal Riviera here. You should try typing it into the search box.

And yes, I <i>would</i> like to hear about the NY trip. If it's too grim to talk about the MIL, would at least like to know how you liked your hotel, dining spots etc. If for some reason you don't want to post here, email me at [email protected]</b>
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 04:44 AM

So sorry I neglected to stop the bold face.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 06:03 AM

Babette, Royal Riviera is actually a short walk to Beaulieu; whereas the Hotel du Cap Ferrat is at the other end of the peninsula; a further drive. My friends mom drove from Royal Riviera to Villefranche easily every day, but get a small car, since the roads there are narrow.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for such great input! I think I'm going to try the Royal Riviera. I guess I kinda want to treat myself for making such an effort at the language school! I don't think the location will be much more inconvenient than those properties right in Villefranche.

BTW, we have gone down several times (it's close for us since we live in Provence) and stayed at the Hotel du Cap, which I can't recommend strongly enough -- especially for their pool in the summer, and we've also stayed at the Reserve de Beaulieu which was a little stuffy, but I think the RR will be perfect for this occasion. And, I do have a tiny car, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again. Perhaps afterwards I can give you my thoughts on the property en francais, oui?

P.S. to mclaurie: I e-mailed you my bitter comments from the MIL trip! (he he he)
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 11:55 PM

Babette, I have stayed at the RR, and thought the staff wonderful, very friendly. We had a beautiful room (can't remember room number), on the corner with windows on two sides overlooking the Med and Beaulieu, with a balcony. Great for doing your homework! Have fun. My mom's friend said there were a lot of diplomats, company executives, from all countries on the course. She met some very interesting people.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 10:16 AM

We stumbled across a wonderful little restaurant in Bealieu sur Mer, La Pignatelle.