Viking Walking Tour of Gamla Stan - Stockholm

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone taken this tour? I just found information about it and it does look fun. There are free tours being offered on Sunday morning by regular guides. This tour is at 4pm on Saturdays so trying to figure out if it's worth making it back to Gamla Stan for it.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 03:45 PM

Hi Samejia, that walking tour sure looks like a lot of fun and an entertaining way of absorbing Stockholm's history.
Love the blue horned-helmets all participants wear!

However, according to their website
http://www.gallivantproductions.com/index.html the tours are not free – currently listed as SwKr125.00 per person.

The reviews are very positive – but guess only you can decide if it’s worth a return to Gamlastan.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

FurryTiles, thank you for your reply. My original post was confusing. I do know this tour is not free. An alternative one would be a free one being offered by the tourist office as part of International Tour Guide Day on Sun, Feb 21. So, it wouldn't be themed tour like this Viking one.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 02:28 PM

Hi again, Samejia – in that case, your freebie on Sunday sounds like it’s a walking tour modified to target fellow professional tour guides, and may not even compare to the paid-for tours. Also a plus that it's being held in the morning on Sunday, as by 4pm it's already dark.

The tour looked like something I’d enjoy on my next visit to Stockholm, so I browsed their website for more details. Most of the photos on their site are taken during the summer months, and yours would be in the midst of winter chill and snow, so it may be a bit of a trial walking around for 1.5 hours in the cold.

Had a chuckle though, that two of the three “Real Viking” ladies leading the <i>Ice Age to Ikea</i> tours are a Brit and an Aussie!

If you do go, would much appreciate feedback on your experience.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

FurryTiles, I will provide feedback if my daughter decides to do it. She wants to go on a boat tour on Sunday morning and doesn't want to do 2 tours. I keep telling her a boat tour is very, very different than a walking tour!
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 09:04 AM

I stayed in Gamla Stan a few years ago, in the dead of winter and I didn't see that tour, thank goodness. I'm sure I would have noticed the blue horned helmets. I was there just after New Years, so maybe they discontinued them for the holidays.

Loved the Gamla Stan area, and it's very historical. Our hotel was built in the 1400's, and the Stockholm Cathedral has quite a history of it's own. I'd love to hear about the tour if you take it.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply crefloors. I will post an update on the if my daughter takes it. I really want her to, but it's her trip. I wish I was going!! My daughter is staying in a hostel in Gamla Stan right by the water.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 03:39 AM

Tell me you wouldn't wear those hats
Sorry, I have never done the tour. Only toured Gamla Stan independently. I would be laughing my head off at those people.
Now if it was a drinking tour- It could be fun
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 11:58 AM

I recently did this tour - it was one of the best tours I have done. I felt a little silly with the hats to start with but it was fun!