vienna train stations

Search

vienna train stations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vienna train stations

We are traveling from Brno, arriving at Wein Siedbahnhof and connecting at Wein Westbahnhof an hour and 20 minutes later to Budapest. What is the best way (or fastest way) to get to the West station from the south station?

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 01:48 PM

According to the timetables at www.bahn.de, electric trolleys take 17 minutes to go between the stations and they run every 6 minutes.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 02:29 PM

Those trolleys in many areas have a dedicated track area. No cars get in the path, but there are the normal stops for traffic lights.

The trolley is a good way to get around Vienna. I have used them more than once.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Off topic but on city...If you like eating fabulous food, go to a restaurant called Tom George when you get to Budapest. It's right behind the Four Seasons. We went there about a month ago and it was one of the best meals I've ever had. I had the risotto and the veal chop and I thought I died and went to heaven. We really enjoyed the Hungarian wines as well. Good luck, it's a neat place.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 06:53 PM

As said by others, trolleys will get you between the two stations in plenty of times; however, going from Brno to Budapest via Vienna is out of the way. There are direct trains between these two cities.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 05:54 AM

You will find the streetcar #18 just outside and across the street from the Südbahnhof.

Take it in the direction Burggasse/ Stadthalle - about 10 stops to the Westbahnhof- about 15-20 minutes.

Cost 1,70 euro.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 05:58 AM

i took tram 18 from West to Sud in January - buy your ticket in the station tobacco/magazine kiosk before boarding then cancel yourself in the machine onboard or else you will not have a valid ticket. Very easy transfer - drops off in front of West station.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the information. If there is a more direct route from Brno to Budapest I would definately be interested in knowing about it. It is a little confusing on the train internet site because you need to input exact station names. Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:35 AM

not so on the www.bahn.de site in English at least. easy way to reach English page: go to www.budgeteuropetravel.com and click on the link All european Railway Timetables or some such wording and this links you to the English schedule page where in the two boxes you just put the two cities in like you spelled them, the date and you'll get all the connections. A snap. Home page i reference also gives several tips to use the Wunderbar bahn.de site, which has schedules for all of Europe, including Czech-Slovakia-Hungary.

And yes the Budapest-Bratislava-Brno route is much quicker and more direct than goig via Vienna and much cheaper as well. www.bahn.de will show you this
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:03 AM

Don't let the Sudbahnhof depress you...it's not the most elegant entrance into Vienna. The Westbahnhof has a little grocery shop and a few snack places in case you want to get something for an on-train picnic. If you find yourself with 45 minutes or so to kill while waiting for the train, the West End Cafe across the street from the Westbahnhof has excellent coffee and good beer on tap.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:43 PM

Just for information purposes- a huge reconstruction- renovation of the Südbahnhof began recently. They now work on the S-Bahn area.
All work will take about 6-7 years to complete.
The station will continue to operate during this time period with minor exceptions.

If you believe the drawings and descriptions of this work, even a new name in the future - the finished product will be very nice