Reload this Page >

Vienna to Prague train travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 06:20 AM
scarymaryk

How long is the train trip between Vienna and Prague?

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 07:45 AM
cherylforeurope

I believe a direct train is about 4 1/2
to 5 hrs. You can check the schedule at raileurope.com.

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Intrepid

Cherylforeurope is correct. 4 hrs 33 minutes direct; 5 1/2 hours with one change..depends on which train you take and the time of day you want to travel. You can also check scheduls aqt www.bahn.de

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 11:02 AM
scarymaryk

thank you cherylforeurope and intrepid

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never use raileurope for info - most trains are omitted and prices are way inflated. Also be careful about train stations...

I believe all the fast trains arrive in a horrible location way out of Prague where it's difficult even to get cash or to figure out which way to get to town.

If you want to go to a downtown station there is a ridiculous penalty of much more time and complication. This was all explained in detail not too long ago, along with the usual naive denials.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Intrepid

I disagree with Viking. Many of the direct (no change) trains arrive at Holesovice station which is NOT "way out of Prague" (it simply isn't right in the center of things and I have never felt unsafe when arriving there) and there is adequate public transportation as well as taxis available from that station. If you do get ANY taxi in any part of Prague make certain you ask about the price FIRST as taxis in Prague can be notoriously corrupt for the unprepared.

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 07:41 PM

We arrived at Holesovice and took a taxi into town (use AAA taxis, rest are rip-offs). That station is better than the one near old town and safer.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 12:20 PM

AARRRRGGGH! I can't stand it the way pollyannish deniers get in the way of realistic advice here. Hol. station holds tremendous pitfalls, like I mentioned for getting cash. Say you want to take a taxi, in this the most notorious place in all of Europe for taxi-cheats. Did the deniers have leftover cash from a previous trip, or pay huge ransoms for Cz cash outside?

Most folks will arrive prepared to use their atm card. The one machine that seems at or anywhere near Hol. may by some miracle be working, and maybe won't be mobbed. Then you'll find it only issues ridiculously huge bills like a thousand - try getting change for that with a streetcar or taxi.

I walked with luggage to my hotel which was extremely far, and it was a huge challenge to even tell which direction to walk to Prague, or whether Prague was even within hundreds of km! Put yourself in the place of a first arriver and don't give false expectations in order to promote things.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 02:05 PM

For Viking
I am among the deniers, and do indeed have left-over cash. If I did not, I should buy a few Czech crowns in London or Vienna. I pay no huge ransoms. Nor do I use taxis: the Prague metro service is good.

I agree as to RailEurope.

[email protected]
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 04:57 PM

Metro wasn't in business on my visit due to floods apparently. So I guess it WOULD be best to aim for Hol. but beforehand exchange about 5 euros, of which 80% will vanish due to commissions, then do a normal atm transaction downtown.

Yes, I watch my expenses carefully and left town with not enough change to buy a stick of gum. OK, now switching off the reality info channel and returning to the soothing feelgood channel that can leave folks in a lurch on the road...