Reload this Page >

Vienna-Prague-Munich/Salzburg: help with itinerary, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:25 AM
MaureenB

We are a family of four, traveling this coming June 6- June 18 (12 nights), flying into Vienna and out of Munich. My husband has a conference at the Austria Center.
We have never been to this part of the world before and would love to get advice from seasoned travelers regarding these three areas. I have purchased several books and read lots of posts here on Fodors.com, but nothing beats direct help from experienced readers. We've already received help from earlier posts to determine our three main cities to visit.
Our tentative plans are:
Five or six nights in Vienna at the Hotel Kaiserin Elisabeth (it was highly recommended several times on posts here). We'll see the Lipizzaners training, as we'll miss the Sunday performance. We're interested in a Danube river trip (to Melk?). Also, castles, churchs, etc.
Two or three nights in Prague-- Is two enough?
Where to stay?
Four or five nights in Munich-- or stay a night or two in Salzburg? Rent a car and stay in Munich each night, with day trips driving into Bavarian spots? Or take the trains each day? The Hotel Uhland is available for our stay, and provides free parking. Anyone know of this hotel?
One big question is transportation between the three cities. We'd like to rely on trains for these trips, and wonder if we should book overnight trains to conserve daylight tour time.
Any help you can provide will be appreciated.
Thanks!

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't really need a car in Munich--public transport is superb. For daytrips, either train or car is great, though we found Bavaria wonderful to drive around in--this from a guy who ordinarily hates to drive.

Our drive from Munich to the Oberammergau/Garmisch vicinity, then a visit to Linderhof, followed by a drive and lunch along the Plansee in Austria, ending up in the village of Hohenschwangau where Ludwig's family Hohenschwangau castle and his fantasy Neuschwanstein castle are located was a lovely, lovely day. We spent 2 nights in Hohenscwangau then headed up the Romantic Road.

If you didn't want to overnight in the Hohenschwangau area, you could make it a long day, doing everything we did, visit Neuschwanstein in the late afternoon, then drop in at the Wieskirche on the way back to Munich.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:53 AM

I don't think you need 5 nights in Munich, not with the other options open to you.

I think how long you stay in Vienna is a function of how well you like music.
I went to see the horses prance about. Interesting, but curious. I doubt if I would be temped to return.

Munich has a few interesting places to visit. Nymphenburg castle and the Residenz in downtown Munich are interesting if you want to see how royalty lived.

Salzburg, when you get right down to it, is touristy. The old town is neat, but not of long term interest. I have been there 4 times and Schoss Heilbrunn when the water fountains are squirting people, the fortress on the hill, the Marionetten Theater, and the Festspielhaus where the music festival takes place are worth the effort. Some of the churches are beautiful on the inside -- fascinating baroque architecture. We took a guided tour of the Festspielhaus with a bilingual guide. She started off in English and German until the German speakers told her that English was all we needed.
Seeing the innards of the complex was interesting.

Vienna has a variety of fascinating places to visit. I enjoyed going through Schloss Schönbrunn with an audio guide. There are also people around who are fully qualified to answer questions in several languages.

We saw one lady who had on a badge that indicated that she spoke Turkish, Hungarian, and Russian. Quite a combination!

One thing about Vienna is that it is a crossroads and many cultures have met there in years past.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 12:31 PM

In Vienna, go to Dalmyer's (sp?), the famous coffee and pastry shop--unless it's a hot day, in which case don't. The coffee with whipped cream (schlag) is divine, as are the pastries--especially the Sacher torte.

Try to attend one of the Strauss concerts at the park. Visit St. Stephen's church and go out to Grinzing to taste the local wines in the various winestubbes; it's a Viennese tradition. See the Kunstmuseum and the several royal palaces. By all means visit Melk Abbey. Go to the opera if you can get tickets, or to a performance by the Vienna Philmarmonic Orchestra.

You can easily keep busy for at least 3 days in Munich; try to include the science museum among the other places of interest. You might enjoy going out to the Zugspitze and taking the cable car to the top of the mountain.

Ludwig's palaces and castles are beautiful and interesting; we especially liked Linderhof.

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:58 AM
yk

topping for MaureenB
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:06 AM

HI
I think the Underhill reference to the cafe should be Demler.

I have files on Vienna and Prague (I recently returned)--if you want to see them, email me at
[email protected]

The Spanish Riding School was one of the highlights in Vienna for us.
I don't think that 2 nights in Prague is nearly enough, my group liked it much more than Vienna.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:33 PM

Just a personal opinion, but I would add time to prague and reduce time in Munich. The former is incomparable IMHO, while the latter, though pleasant, is just a teeny bit - dare I say it - boring (although the countryside is very beautiful and the villages quaint).
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 02:50 AM
JN

Here's a vote for Salzburg. Beautiful city,great food, friendly people, manageable size. If you like staying in the Altstadt, consider the Blaue Gans. The junior suite rooms should be big enough for 4 of you. They're not cheap (~ 165 Euro/nt), but if you like being in the middle of the old city, this is a cool hotel with a great restaurant (http://www.blauegans.at/).

Things to do? Mirabell Gardens, HohenSalzburg fortress, outdoor cafes for coffee sipping/people watching; Augustiner brewery/beer garden, nearby salt mines; lake region close by; Mozart Dinner concerts at Skiftskeller or Fortress or at Schloss Mirabell, though the latter does not serve the food onsite--you eat a few blocks away at the Stiegl Brau.

Great places to eat? Skiftskeller St. Peter, Blaue Gans restaurant, Cafe Glockenspiel.

I like smaller cities, so found Salzburg to be more to my taste than the larger Vienna or Munich, though certainly the latter two have more sights/activities. I think it is worth two nights, perhaps at the expense of one each from Vienna and Munich.

Good luck.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:57 AM

In Vien, enjoy a lasting memory for your family by getting tickets to an opera at the world famous Stats Opera House. You will never regret it. Also, when going to St. Stephen's cathedral be sure to go down stairs to see the catacombs, the kids will love it! Enjoy!
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 03:13 PM
MaureenB

We just returned from our wonderful visit to Eastern Europe. Our itinerary was ideal: five nights in Vienna, three in Prague and four in Munich.
We arrived by plane in Vienna, traveled by train to Prague, train to Munich, then flew home from Munich. Euraide.com was very helpful, and saved us money on the Prague pass and other train fares.
We were very happy with our hotels, mostly discovered with help from fodors.com.
In Vienna, the Hotel Kaiserin Elisabeth, a four-star boutique-type hotel very near the Stephansdom and the U-bahn, is hard to beat. The price was higher than other places, but well worth it for the elegance, the service, the location and the more sumptious breakfast buffet, even with hot eggs made to order.
We saw the Lipizzaners' morning "exercise with music", a three-hour event that my daughter and I enjoyed as we are horse people. The riders dress in full military livery, the horses in full show tack, they salute as they enter the ring, so it's still something to see when the performances aren't available. (Performances are Sundays and were not an option for us.) A few men in the audience looked bored, and we knew better than to invite our men along, but we loved it. Then we returned for their stables tour the next day and enjoyed seeing the horses up close.
We bought the "combi" pass at the train station for the train trip to Melk, monastery tour tickets, boat to Krems, return train trip to Vienna. Definitely a good way to do the trip and worth seeing it all. It was just 39 Euro apiece for the day.
In Prague, we stayed at the Pension U Lilie, right near the Charles Bridge, in the Old Town area. It was nice enough, nothing special, but clean and friendly. Next time, we might choose a place in Lesser Town by the Bridge, as it seemed to be less hectic than the Old Town side. But we did love Prague.
In Munich, we stayed outside the city center, near the Oktoberfest park, at the fabulous Hotel Uhland. It has been operated by the same family for over 50 years, and appears to be a renovated mansion. It sits in an upscale neighborhood of similar buildings, very quiet and charming. The hotel was delightful, the breakfast room and buffet charming, the people friendly. Even free parking and use of their bikes. One evening we all took a bike ride down to the river and it was a lot of fun. We felt very safe walking about in the neighborhood at all hours. At least three nice restaurants close by to walk to. The main train station is about a 10 minute walk, so very convenient for our day train trips to Salzburg and Fussen.
We liked Fussen a lot, even more than Salzburg. It's smaller, more charming, more specular scenery. Its Ludwig II castle tour is well worth it. Look into the Bayern pass. It was just 22 Euro for all four of us, round trip, each day. I believe it's good for up to five people on the same pass.
So, that's it. Thanks for all the help!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Jun 20th, 2004, 11:21 PM

We spent 1.5 days in Salzburg and wished that we had spent more. It is a beautiful city, with lots to see. The Hohensalzburg fortress is amazing, as are the many squares and alleys in the old town. We saw lots of options for daytrips also, including the saltmines which are supposedly fun.

We spent 3 days in Munich, and it was more than enough, almost too much. The old town is pretty, but doesn't really compare to other cities in Europe. The Englischer Garten park is worth a trip, as are King Ludwig's castles. Dachau is a 45 minute train ride away, if WWII history interests you. Other than that, didn't really love Munich. (Sorry!)

Another piece of advice, purchase the Bayern ticket when traveling in Bavaria. It costs 22 Euro and covers up to 5 people from 9 am- 3 am(next day) wherever you many want to go in Bavaria. This includes the castles, local Munich subways and trams and other day trips. It also covers travel to Salzburg, which will save you a ton of money with a family of 4.