Norway in 7 days?

Search

Norway in 7 days?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norway in 7 days?

We (3) arrive in Oslo(Torp) July 8 and depart July 14 at 22:05 and I am trying to see it all. 2 days in Oslo, Bergin and the fjiords for 3 days. Then Trondheim and somehow back to Oslo in time on the 14th. My 14 year old guitar playing son loves some of the music from Norwegian bands and so his love of Bergin began. I welcome any suggestions, I am looking at Norway in a Nutshell and the Coastal Express also.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 07:56 PM

In the for-what-it-is-worth category since I don't leave for Norway until June 21st and have never been before. But will be traveling with a 14 year old son! We're definitely doing Norway in a Nutshell. After spending a day in Bergen, we will take a bus to Alesund for more fjord views, etc. To reduce long travel time, we're flying back to Oslo from Alesund on Braathen airlines. In Oslo, we plan to do the ski jump (the simulator is something my son wants to do), Vigeland Park, the Munsch Museum (for all those Halloweens my son chose to be "Scream&quot, the Viking Ship museum and the resistance museum. My son has read several books about Vikings (novels, action things)...also about the Scandinavians and WWII. We were able to get hold of an old copy of Heroes of Telemark, starring Kirk Douglas. Does seem to me following the weather in our paper that Norway is MUCH cooler than where we are (Virginia) so we're packing accordingly. Also, taking portable DVD player and CD player (an MP-3 would be better but we don't have that yet).
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 02:31 AM
eri

You want to do too much in too short a time! The roads in Norway are OK, but most of them are narrow and slow. You also have to use ferries where the road ends. It is all time consuming. If you really want to enjoy the special sights that Norway offers, and if Bergen is important to your son, I would even consider skipping Oslo and fly directly to Bergen. One night in Bergen is enough, and then rent a car and start your trip through Voss, Flam, Ravneses, Ulvik, Olden, Briksdal (the Jostedal glcier), Geiranger Fjord, ,Valdal, Trollstiveg (a must), Andalsnes, Alesund.
Trondheim is too far for such a short trip. I even doubt if you have enough time to go as far as Alesund.
The drive to Oslo will take you a whole day. You might consider flying to Oslo. Taking into account the enormous drop-off charges that are charged in Norway on rented cars, it may be even wiser to drive back to Bergen in the quickest and shortest way, and fly from there. Braathens (the local airline) have great rates for flights that cannot be changed. So if you are sure of your plans it is advisable to take advantage of them.
Let me know if you need more assistance.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 12:36 AM

Hi

Nice to hear that you are coming to Norway...but I do of course believe that you should have had more time here. There is always an urge to try to cover as much as possible on a trip but maybe it will just end up with lots of driving around.

There are two roads from Oslo towards Stavanger and both are nice...the mountain route (you can read more about it on http://www.suleskarvegen.no/) takes about 7 hour. The other route takes you along the coast and it can be beautiful in the summer time...lots of small towns where many Norwegians go to spend the summertime. I have posted some information about a drive we had in Norway on http://www.gardkarlsen.com/tusenfryd.htm

In Stavanger you should try to get to Preikestolen (Pulpit rock) or even Kjerag (http://www.gardkarlsen.com/kjerag.htm). The view over Lyse fjord is just amazing on nice summer days. Driving to Bergen from Stavanger takes about 5 hours and includes a couple of ferries. Keep coins ready during your drive in Norway because there are many toll stations along the routes.

Well, I hope that it has been of some help. I think that you need more time in Norway or try to cover less ground...but I hope that you will have a great time anyway.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
www.gardkarlsen.com
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Eri and Gard, great info on your site.I have until Friday to finalize our plans. Peggi I've been convinced the Mp3 player takes up less space so we can take a portable DVD player and a guitar. I'd love to hear about your trip [email protected]. To think Munsch gives some people nightmares...
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 12:44 AM

Hello from Bergen! Wondering what kind of music and bands your son is into? There really is something for everyone in terms of music here in Bergen-lots of live music both in the clubs and out on the streets! I know of one place located in Bryggen called Madam Felle's that sometimes has bands during the days or early evenings-may even let 14 year olds in to listen.