Search

Vienna lodging

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna lodging

I've narrowed down to four choices for a Jun 28 - July 3 stay in Vienna - the Romischer Kaiser, the Biedermeier, the Karntnerhof, and the Wandl. Any recommendations? I'm having a tough time determing which might have rooms that are not too small. This is for a couple in our 40s. Should we consider Air Conditioning as mandatory, and pay the extra for that amenity?
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 06:46 PM

I stayed at the Carlton Opera and chose it for two reasons: air conditioning, fairly spacious rooms, decent bathroom.<BR>I think the air conditioning in both Paris and Vienna is mandatory. It enables you to keep the windows closed and the noise out.<BR><BR>I like the Carlton Opera. The location is OK, and we found the breakfast bountiful. There was a wide choice of quality food. Nothing at all like a French breakfast; this one was a banquet for breakfast.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 05:58 AM

I definitely would suggest Air Conditioning in June-July. We were there in May last year during a heat wave. Our hotel did not have AC and even with the windows open, it was a bit uncomfortable.<BR><BR>Of course, we were there in May 2 years prior and almost froze to death! However, the weather should be warm in summer.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 06:44 AM

I stayed at Hotel Wandl in March of 2000. It is a beautiful, 300 year old building in the heart of old Vienna, and you can't beat the location just off the Graben, behind St. Peterskirche. However - and it is sad to say this - the concierge at the Wandl was so unfriendly that the next time in Vienna I will be looking for other accommodations. This is a shame because it was otherwise a lovely hotel in a perfect location. Of course, there may have been a change of staff at the Wandl since then. Hope so!
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 06:44 PM
JN

Avoid the Karntnerhof if at all possible. We stayed there in summer 2000. here's what we experienced:<BR>1. Very unnecessarily brusque, unhelpful manager<BR>2. less than clean, cluttered room, with dark, weird tiny bathroom<BR>3. Across alley from loud, all nite disco<BR>4. Too hot to keep windows closed, but too loud to keep them open<BR><BR>Wandl and Post looked much nicer--though I don't think they were air conditioned.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 12:37 AM

Biedermeier is a very nice hotel - real charm in being built in this old arcade, but not great location - just outside centre, but immediate area is bit down market and lack of restaurants.<BR>Wandl's rooms are bit of a mix, but I thought reception was probably capable of Rebecka's comments, but great location.<BR>Romischer Kaiser has good location, but chintzy - do not think a/c. Do not know Carlton Opera (but good location)or Karnetnerhof. Check out Starlight Suites , www.starlighthotels.com, probably at that time, you will not get rate we got of ?100 per night - rack rate ?166, but get suite and ac - so great value per square metre. Go for Renngasse location (3 locations available)(not as central as RK or Wandl). Rooms style is more modern -bit Ikea like- and look better in real life than internet. If you want fairly commonly provided Empire Chintz, choose elsewhere. My reviews on this are on other lines. I have checked out about 15 hotels over the past few months and as long as your budget can take the price, I think it is best value around.<BR>As others say Konig von Hungarn is good option at ?180 per night, but rooms are all individual - i.e. some good or in your taste, others are a little old, or maybe not your taste.