Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vienna - has anyone stayed here at this hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Following all of your advice, I tried to book a room at Pension Pertschy. Unfortunately, they are already booked for the days I will be there. They offered me a rate at their sister pension, Pension Christina. Has anyone stayed there? How does it compare to Hotel Admiral (have a similar offer from that hotel.

Thank you!
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Bumping. Please - I'm hopeful somebody has stayed at these places in Vienna. Any insights on Pension Christina are definitely appreciated.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 01:54 PM

Unfortunately, I can only speak for Pension Pertschy, where we stayed for 3 nights in early June and liked it very much. Huge, clean room/suite, very good buffet breakfast for about $140 Euro/day. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the location couldn't be beat. Just don't even think about having a car there, as there is absolutely no place to park.
If Pension Christina is their sister pension, I would imagine it would be very similar, but couldn't say for sure.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 03:24 PM

Hi Larry:
would you please clarify the price? Is it $140 or Euro 140?
I'm also interested in this Pension.
I passed by it a number of times on Habsburgergasse not far from the cathedral.
How loud was the street noise in the room?
Did they accept credit cards?
Was it air conditioned?
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 04:50 AM

Hi platzman,
I should have said 140 Euro, without the $ ... just habit, I guess. They accept major credit cards, and the rooms did have AC, though it was cool and rainy during our visit so we did not have to use it.
Though our room faced the front street, I don't recall being bothered at all by street noise.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 04:55 AM

Larry, sounds like my kinda place.
And the location can't be beat for the price. As I recall, this pension is smack in the middle of everything (ie Stephansdom, the Hofburg, the pedestrian shopping areas).
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 06:13 AM

You're right about the location, platzman. It is ideal.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

If nobody has stayed there, can someone at least tell me if this section of town is ok? The address is Hafnersteig 7, A-1010 Wien, and it appears to be right along the river. On the website, it says it is located between "Stephansplatz" and "Schwedenplatz" directly in the centre of Vienna.How safe is this area of Vienna?

Thank you!
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 07:12 AM
viennese

I wouldn't call any part of the First District unsafe (in fact, I feel safe in Vienna day and night, whereever I go). But you should be aware that this is not a quiet neighbourhood as there are a lot of restaurants and bars around Schwedenplatz. I would be more concerned of noise than safety.

Old Oct 19th, 2004, 07:15 AM
viennese

If you want to see pictures of Pension Christina: http://www.pertschy.com/pension4.html

I am afraid their website is in German only. Click on "Bilder" for pictures.

Old Oct 19th, 2004, 07:21 AM

Vienna is a safe city.I live in the First District and am often on the street at different hours.

The hotel in question is not near a River but rather the Danube Canal.
I endorse the statement of " Viennese" that noise may be a bigger factor as this is near the " Bermuda Triangle" area of bars, cafes, discos etc. that see many visitors late at night.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 08:59 AM
viennese

Molker, as you are living in the First District, may I guess you are living in Mölkerbastei?

Old Oct 19th, 2004, 10:19 AM

Sorry, I don't have info on Pension Christina but did enjoy our stay at the Admiral. It is just a 5 minute walk to the Ringstrasse behind the Museum Quartier right off Mariahilferstrasse. Lots of activity on Mariahilferstr. so you feel safe walking around there even very late at night. The rooms are decent size, clean and modern. The bathrooms are very nice and our rooms have always had lots of closet space. It is not air conditioned, however, so that should be a consideration in the summer months.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 12:07 PM

I live not too far from the Bastei- actually closer to the Central Cafe.After several unsuccessful attempts for a screen name on Fodors tried this - of course it was available.

I am a fan of the " Third Man " film. Harry Lime is first seen in a doorway in that movie. The doorway is on Molker Bastei. Much better than the sewers.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 11:51 PM
viennese

Molker, thank you for your reply! Now I understand your screen name! I hope you don't only like the Vienna shown in the movie but also the Vienna of today (I wanted to write "modern Vienna" but that is not the right term for this city).

And I learned a new word: sewers (had to look it up in my dictionary). Was at first confused what Harry Lime had to do with sewing clothes...

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 01:11 AM

Abwasser or Kanal just did not seem the best screen name.

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 01:17 AM
viennese

Molker, you are leiwand! I really like your posts and your humour. Hope you will keep on posting on this board. (And perhaps we will meet at any of the cafés we obviously both attend.)

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:57 AM

Thank you for the compliment in " Wienerish"!
I try to visit this site when time allows.You may not see many posts in the near future as I leave for Oman in the next few days and will not return until the middle of November.
Perhaps when I am back a visit to a cafe or a "punsch" to celebrate our wonderful city that never becomes older or modern only better!

Old Oct 21st, 2004, 12:50 AM
viennese

Molker, leaving for Oman - please take care and come back safe! Until you return I will try to keep the Vienna flag flying...

I would love to go for a Punsch with you. Waiting for your post after your return!