Vienna and Prague with 7 month old - hotel help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2017, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Vienna and Prague in December to see the Christmas Markets... with our 7 month old (insert ominous music because panicking). Since basically everything about this sounds like it will be a gongshow, we'd at least like her to have a separate space to sleep at night (as she sleeps in her own room, and wakes up a lot when we share).

Aside from renting an AirBNB/apartment, are there any hotels that offer "suite" options like in North America, where there is a separate living area or a second room we could close off for her? Or, if not possible, we are open to apartments, but we do love the luxury hotel feel when traveling, so would like something that more resembles a 4-5 star hotel vs an apartment someone actually lives in (does this make sense? I know it wouldn't be a hotel, but like... something that is professionally cleaned and managed?). I have no idea where to begin to look.

Also, as an aside, for those of you who have traveled with babies - there are no non-stop flights to/from Prague and Toronto, so we think it is best to do round-trip from Vienna (she has never flown before and we have no idea how bad takeoff/landing will be). But the return flight is at 10am, so we will need to finish the trip in Vienna. My husband thinks getting off an 8-hour flight and immediately getting into a car/onto a train to Prague will be too much for the baby, so we were thinking of splitting it into 3 nights Vienna/3 Prague/2 Vienna. But we're not sure if that makes things even more challenging. Any insight?
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 08:11 AM

There aren't very many nonstop flights to Prague from the US, either, I think there are some from NY and Chicago.

Personally, I would have booked a different flight, a flight with a changeover would make more sense to me than flying into Vienna when you want to go to Prague. I don't understand why you don't book into Prague and out of Vienna. It just seems to me transferring from the airport to the train station, with your luggage, and then taking train to Prague is a lot more trouble than just having a change of planes en route. And now you are talking about wasting time in Vienna due to that, so it just seems like not the best plan.

The flight to VIE would take 8.5 hrs from Toronto. The flight to PRG will take 10:10 hrs with a change at Frankfurt airport, but they'll transfer your bags and everything. I presume you are flying Lufthansa as they are the only nonstops to VIE, I believe from your city.

I know they have hotels with suites and 2 BRs in Vienna, some luxury ones, but I'm not in the market for that hotel myself so can't recommend one. Your budget matters. You also say you want a luxury hotel and I wouldn't call a 4* hotel luxury, but some hotels will arrange two connecting rooms, also, like the Intercontinental which is luxury.

This hotel says you can have a connecting room to the jr suite and it's centrally located.
https://www.radissonblu.com/en/stylehotel-vienna/rooms
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 08:42 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
"My husband thinks getting off an 8-hour flight and immediately getting into a car/onto a train to Prague will be too much for the baby, so we were thinking of splitting it into 3 nights Vienna/3 Prague/2 Vienna."

DO NOT EVEN THINK about "immediately getting into a car" following a transatlantic flight. In Winter. With likely sleep deprivation. With a Baby. Unfamiliar roads, and in a language that you may not speak?

If "luxury" is your preferred way to travel, arrange for local drivers to ferry you to luxury accommodations in Vienna and Prague, of which there are many. Just do a little research, you'll find plenty of options.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 09:02 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
We stayed at the beautiful Hotel Kaiserin Elisabeth in Vienna, and had a room they called a 'quad' or a 'family' room. You'd need to email them directly, as I don't see it on the website. Also, I received a discount by reserving directly at the hotel via e-mail.

https://www.kaiserinelisabeth.at/en/

They serve a fantastic breakfast buffet in a gorgeous dining room.

It's in the perfect location for walking in historic Vienna. Easy to return to your room for the baby to nap during the day.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 10:07 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, I found this website very helpful when we planned our family trip to Prague several years ago.

https://livingprague.com

We chose the Pension U Lilie, which was a great location and had a family room. It looks like it’s been remodeled since then, and I’m not sure if they still offer a quad or family room.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Christina, we haven't booked the flights yet, so that is still a possibility. Our reasoning was that takeoff and landing can be hard on a baby so we didn't want to add another flight in there if possible, but what you're saying does kind of make sense. (I am also a bad flier and prefer to limit flights when possible.) It is Air Austria operated by both Air Canada and Lufthansa, we will likely book through Air Canada. Generally we like to stay 4-5*, I consider that "upscale", maybe luxury was the wrong word to use.

MoBro, those are so helpful, thank you. I will look into those.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 11:53 AM

I trust you know that hotel star ratings in Europe are not comparable to those in the USA?

Do NOT get in a car and drive more than an hour or so after an all-night flight.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 04:47 PM

Some time back we stayed in Apartmány Almandine (apartments). The location is very good, very close to the centre of the Old Town in Prague (on Rytirska). We had an apartment with a single bedroom which is separate to the lounge and kitchen, and it was suitable for us because at that time we were travelling with a young child. If I remember she was still in a crib at that stage, can't think back that far now! If I had to make criticisms, I'd say the service was pretty ordinary, and at that time there was no in-house laundry, but there is a self-service laundry nearby. On the plus side, the decor was sumptuous (beautiful curtains) and the location fantastic, but probably closer to 4 starts than 5 - it's not luxury. The kitchen was not stocked and the cooking equipment a bit sparse, so the experience is more like a hotel than an apartment, if you get the difference. Maybe that has changed now, it's been a few years.

http://apartmany-almandine.prague-hotels.org/en/

Lavandula
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 04:51 PM

Damn that auto-correct - 4 stars, not starts!

Lavandula
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 05:06 PM

Have you looked at hotels at all? I would think almost all have suites options, but it's a bit late to be looking for Christmas Market availability. I'd be worried about that first and foremost. I was hunting in August and September and the options were shrinking fast.

Have you been to either city before? I'd probably just stay in Vienna, given that you have a baby and a round trip flight. Moving around that much sounds painful to me. I would have done open jaw, but too late for that. But maybe it works out, if you've been before without the baby, and you really are there just for the Christmas markets.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 05:36 PM

Oh, and the apartments were practically next door to a supermarket - big draw card for us!

Lavandula
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 05:50 PM

We loved the Hotel Altstadt in Vienna. The breakfast was fantastic, and there were several lounge areas for relaxing (we had a light dinner there two nights). They have apartments. https://www.altstadt.at/en/living/
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 12:20 PM

I agree with Iwwn2go
The hotel,Aldstadt, is a super place with large rooms. You will not be disappointed.