Vienna and Prague

Search

Vienna and Prague

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna and Prague

We are a couple in our late seventies. Would you suggest our trip to Vienna and Prague be with an existing well-known tour group or can we do these two cities solely on our own, with some Viator additions to the trip.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 07:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Both cities have great public transport with weekly tickets which can be bought at the local airport. All hotels are easy to book on sites like booking.com and others. I would recommend staying away from US style hotels just because they are often in the wrong place or why go on holiday if you are going to stay at home. The city centres are small and easy to get around and, apart from Prague's castle area) basically on the level. English is spoken in all the tourist areas and menus will be in the local language and English in the tourist area of Prague and less so in Vienna. Local food is different, of course, but a small effort on your part with a good guide book should resolve any issues, though I doubt if being a veggie is a good idea in Prague.

My parents were traveling on their own or in pairs into their eighties and as long as you know your plan, have read the books and do the things you want to you will be fine.

The benefit of doing stuff on your own is, if you want to linger more or you want to have a day off resting you can, and no one can make you do what you don't want to.

Getting between the two is easily done by train.

Prague can get pretty busy and but being in a large group or a small group does not solve this issue. Like all cities there are the obvious dangers of pick pockets etc but Prague and Vienna is better than many cities in the western world.

So the issue really is why do you feel the need to go with a large group?
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 07:48 AM

You've asked this question on your other thread and have some responses.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...and-prague.cfm
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Adrienne, you are tight!!!
Obviously, the answers are the same, enabling to do it on our own
Thanks.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 08:19 AM

I'm tight? I hope this is a typo - LOL
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Adrienne, this was a typo!!!!
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 12:36 AM

You can easily do this on your own as Vienna is an easy city for visitors. Safe and clean. You can buy the Vienna card from the tourist office and they also have all the information you need. with the vienna card you have public transport for free and discount on many sights. On http://www.iamvienna.org/whattodo you will find some things to do in Vienna. Vienna is perfect for lovers of art and culture like the new Kunstkammer in the art museum just opened now again after years of renovation. Vienna got also many parks to relax from sightseeing and is quite a small city downtown which can be easily discovered by foot and trams or buses.