Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vienna advice- restaurant for a special occasion?

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
I just bought my boyfriend a surprise trip to Vienna and I'd be so grateful for your advice on a really lovely/special restaurant. Korso is closed for exactly that day, and I've made a reservation at "Imperial", but it's sounding a bit...much. Looking for nice/(romantic?) atmosphere, excellent food, not terribly terribly pricey. Any ideas please oh please?
thanks!
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:28 AM

much less expensive than Korso or Steirereck, two of the best, is
Do & Co. It is in an unusually modern building called the Haas Haus, directly across the plaza from Vienna's landmark
St Stephan's Cathedral. You can ask for a table with a view. Food is eclectic, everything from sushi to viennese classics. Very good food, modern but comfortable atmosphere. I don't know if I'd call it very romantic, but it's not 'un' romantic.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:59 AM

We loved our dinner at Zum Weissen Rauchfangkehrer (The White Chimneysweep.) Cozy dining nooks, a piano player, great food, warm atmosphere. Lots of cute and seasonal decorations. Not high tech, kind of country chic sort of decorations. We sat near the piano and had a nice street view. They bring all sorts of little "extra's" in between courses. There is a service charge that pays for all those little extras, but still it seems like they are treating you to stuff! We thought it was a fine and special evening
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 11:55 AM
viennese

Your boyfriend is lucky having a girlfriend like you...

If you are looking for a restaurant with an athmosphere genuine to Vienna, take a look at www.vestibuel.at

This restaurant is located on the Ringstrasse WITHIN the Burgtheater. Where the restaurant is now used to be the Emperor's entrance to the theatre. This restaurant is closed on Sundays and holidays.

Food is excellent, I can confirm!

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 01:33 PM

Beneteau,
I had a lovely dinner in Vienna at a place called La Boheme. It's slightly outside the Ring, in a beautiful old neighborhood called Spittelsburg. It's an opera-themed place (obviously!) but not to the point where it's too cute or anything like that. Food was excellent, not terribly expensive. Wine choices were fantastic - although I had a slight tummyache at the time and opted for a small glass of the light local bier.

How romantic was it? Well, I longed to share the moment with someone special - it was so elegant in a quiet way - but I experienced a lot of Vienna in that mood. Anyway, the handsome owner of La Boheme came over during dessert and sat down to chat with me - that was a very nice consolation!
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

...thank you, everyone! I think the weak dollar/strong Euro might inevitably be a variable in the restaurant decision, but these are some fantastic options. Thanks so much for taking the time to give me your thoughts---- any others are v. welcome!
B.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 12:36 PM

By big city standards, Vienna's top restaurants are not that expensive. My two favorites for your purposes would be: Meinl am Graben and Morwald's. At Meinl am Graben, book a table overlooking the Graben. Wonderfully romantic at night. Decor is elegant but sober, excellent food and good service
Morwald's, at the Ambassador Hotel. Very elegant, lovely lounge for drinks before dinner, again, excellent food and service. FYI, Morwald's is not located on the ground floor--you have to take an elevator up one or two floors.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 12:55 PM
ira

Hi Beneteau,

You might want to consider Der Basilisk. Very Old World and not expensive.

http://www.tourist-net.co.at/lokale/basilisk/

Should things not worl out, may I be your next boyfriend?
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 08:20 PM

I agree with Morwald suggestion.Meinl has been rated top 3 for past few years but only time I went there was at 940pm on a Friday and the kitchen was closed.
If you are booking for a Thursday, consider Kunsthistorische Museum -very good smorgasboard. Amazing setting which you will remember after the meal - under the massive cupola alhtough a little spoilt by out of place modern lights. Big plus you can interrupt dinner by going and checking the gallery out which depending on taste of paintin could be romantic.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Hi!
Just returned from said trip. Here was what we observed: although I fully understand that someone might like Vestibuel, I did not. I found the waiters pretentious and the atmosphere, although the room itself was beautiful, was cold. We did, however, particularly enjoy "Artner", and if you're keen to read more, I posted something on the Artner review. Fantastic little restaurant away from the din, full of locals only. Really enjoyed it. Had we had more time to eat (and more stomach space- as eating is serious business in Vienna!), we'd have tried *all* of the restaurants you recommended! Thanks so much again.
b
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 10:46 AM

Up on a hill in the western part of town, not too far from the Schoenbrunn Palace, we ate at a romantic-feeling restaurant with good service and good food. You could look out and have a view of the lights of downtown Vienna--very pleasant and not too expensive. The name of the restaurant is "Zum Schoenen Aussicht" which means "the beautiful view" and it certainly was. I would never have found this, but the proprietor of the inn where we were staying recommended it. Good luck.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 12:27 PM
MaureenB

Vienna itself is so romantic, you won't have trouble finding a good restaurant. For example, one of our favorite meals was in a charming restaurant we found on one of the many cobbled side streets. Can't remember the name, though, so I'm no help there.
But my point is that you will find just what you're looking for if you ask at your hotel and simply stroll around and check out menus posted at front doors of restaurants that attract you. Sometimes finding the place is as much fun as eating there!

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 12:32 PM

Note that the original poster has already returned and posted his/her comment above.

This is a good thread for Vienna though.