Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Via Veneto area in Rome - what's it like?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! We will be staying at the Westin Excelsoir hotel in the Via Veneto area next month and was wondering what the surrounding area is like? Specifically, is this neighborhood lively at night or pretty dead? Are there cute outdoor cafes and restaurants in the area that's lively or do most people hang out near the Spanish steps? I'm trying to get a feel for what this neighborhood is like. Thanks so much!
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 10:48 AM

It is nice neighborhood. There are plenty of outdoor cafes and restaurants. It is a pleasant area to stay in - the only drawback is that it is a bit out of the way relative to the major sights. Spanish Steps are not far but most of the main sights are a a pretty good walk away. You probably already know that from looking at a map. But the neighborhood itself is very attractive and definitely not dead at night although the Spanish Steps area would certainly be even livelier.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 10:49 AM

Via Veneto is no longer the centre of the DOLCE VITA as it was during the 50ies/60ies. Nowadays it is still a pretty lively area with lots of shops along Via Veneto, some pricy bars and restaurants in the surrounding streets too. Some good restaurants cited on the Restaurant Michelin Guide are right here in this area. If I am not wrong, also the famous upscale roman night club Jackie O is in this area.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 10:59 AM

you will find lots of shops and cafes. Here's also some info from your hotel's website:

LOCAL ATTRACTIONS
Via Veneto (Shopping) - 1 Blocks
Villa Borghese - 2 Blocks
Spanish Steps/Piazza di Spagna - 5 Blocks
Via Condotti/Via Frattina/Via Borgognona (Shopping) - 5 Blocks
Galleria Borghese Museum - 1 Kilometers
Trevi Fountain/Fontana di Trevi - 2 Kilometers
La Sapienza University - 3 Kilometers
Colosseum/Il Colosseo - 3 Kilometers
Castel Saint Angelo (Hadrian's Mausoleum) - 3 Kilometers
Forum Romanum/Foro Romano - 3 Kilometers
Navona Square/Piazza Navona - 3 Kilometers
Vatican City/Citta' del Vaticano - 3 Kilometers
Pantheon - 3 Kilometers
Palatine/Palatino - 3 Kilometers
Tivoli (Roman Villas) - 48 Kilometers
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your quick responses! Can you tell me how long it'll take to walk to the spanish steps? about 15-20 min walk? would you say that as well about the main sites? thanks so much!!!!! I'm glad to hear this area isn't totally dead at night!
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 11:12 AM

Yes, from Via Veneto to the Spanish Steps it is about 10 minutes walk. If you walk to Piazza barberini, there is an internet cafe' too (should you wish to get in touch with family + friends at home) and on Via del Tritone there is the Hollywood Cafe' too plus lots of shops. From Piazza barberini you can walk on Via Sistina and arrive right on the higer level of the Steps, or you can take one of the many buses that will take you almost everywhere in central Rome. Plus there is the metro stop called Barberini which will connect you with other touristic places too. Another advice: from Piazza barberini walk along Via Quattro Fontane until you hit Via XX Settembre. There is a jewel of a church called San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane, a masterpiece of Borromini's genius. It has an oval structure which is simply awesome. Tiny church but a real marvel. It is one of my favourites! And how about the Bernini Fountain at the centre of Piazza barberini? Beautiful!
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Batuffolina! I've taken note of all your suggestions and will take them with me there!!!
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 12:33 PM

I think you'll enjoy the Via Veneto although a recent poster on another thread said she didn't like it because she doesn't consider it "the real Rome" whatever THAT means!!!!

Those distances cited earlier, specifically the Borghese being "two blocks" away..well, that will be the absolute LONGEST two blocks you'll ever walk but it is at least a NICE walk.

Lots of outdoor places to eat...pricey in some ways, but they can be fun..best onion soup I ever had was at one of those outdoor places near Harry's Bar.

Some people will sniff at your choice but don't be deterred.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 01:28 PM

San Fran -
We stayed at the Excelsior last October. It's a very nice hotel. It's a 15-20 minute walk to the Spanish Steps. The immediate area around the Excelsior isn't particularly lively. In fact, it's pretty quiet, which isn't a bad thing in Rome (you'll understand after you're there a couple of days!). There's a huge cafe cross the street (Cafe Paris, I believe) that was convenient. And don't worry about being too far from the major sites. You'll be walking so much, anyway, and wandering all over the city, it won't really matter where your home base is. We walked to the Colosseum, the Forum, Trevi Fountain... everywhere. Yes, some of those sites are pretty good hikes, but what better way to see the city? Besides, the metro stop isn't far from the hotel at all (Barberini Square). For us, it was an ideal location. Not too crowded or noisy. After roaming the city all day long, you really felt like you were going "home" at night.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 01:54 PM

I would also advise to visit Villa Borghese and the wonderful Villa Borghese Gallery. They are not far from Via Veneto, but they can also be reached by bus 95 or 490 (check out their route as they may not pass by Via Veneto). The former because it is a lovely park, the latter because it treasures great works like Titian's Sacred and Profane Love, Canova's butter-white sculpture of Paolina Bonaparte, Bernini's Apollo and Daphne and other works of art. Great interiors too! worth a visit too!
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 02:21 PM

If it takes you 15-20 minutes to walk to the Spanish Steps then you are on crutches.There will be significant security in the area of your hotel as the U.S. embassy is right next door.If you get a room on the top 2 floors they have great balconies.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Original Poster

Hello all! As usual thanks again for all your wonderful suggestions. This will be our first time in Rome and we really appreciate all your comments. Well sounds like the hotel as atlcity mentioned is by the US embassy so I won't have to ask if it's safe at night as that would've been my next question! hehehe would you say the area in the spanish steps are safe as well? what time would you say things start slowing down around there and what time do the cafes and bars generally close?

Thanks for the suggestion on the Villa Borghese Batuffolina! I definitely have that on my list!

Actually I should add that I'm staying there on hotel points and that's the reason I'm staying in that area and why I didn't do too much research on the area in the first place heheh. If we were paying we would've definitely looked into cheaper alternatives in perhaps the more popular areas. But I'm sure glad the area we picked isn't all that shabby either. =P

Thanks again!
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 02:32 AM

A fast way to the Spanish Steps from the top of Via Veneto is to go down thru the Metro entrance and you come out right there
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jody!