Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Spanish Steps or Piazza Navona Neighborhoods

Old Aug 7th, 2004, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone - I am planning to visit Rome in either Sept or Oct. Which is a more fun/convenient place to stay - Piazza Navona or the Spanish Steps? I am looking for convenience, but would also to stay in a neighborhood that will give me the "local" feel of Rome (vs touristy). I would also like to be surrounded by some authentic restaurants, wine bars and cafe's. What do you think?? Thanks for your advice.

P.S. Some of the hotels I'm considering in Rome are Residenza Canali (Piazza Navona), Hotel Locarno, Hotel Parlamento & Hotel Madrid (Spanish Steps)
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 05:31 AM

Dear Imavolio,

I cannot make a comparison of the two proposed places to stay.

I can say we stayed a couple of blocks from the Spanish Steps. It was a touristy neighborhood but convenient to so many sites (as is most of old Rome). We were close to the American Express office (this was in 1999) and a subway stop.

There were many restaurants near the hotel and all were quite good. I did not bother to remember any of the names. I just remember the food was good and I loved eating outside.

Have a great trip.
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 05:59 AM

Piazza Navona is good if you want to be centrally located in the old district.

Spanish Steps is good if you like the same fancy stoes (Gucci, etc), and bare-midrif tenny boppers you see anywhere. It is also ideal if you enjoy constantly being pesterd by sunglass and other street vendors. However, the main advantage is that it offers the onlt free place to sit down in Rome.
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 07:50 AM

I don't really understand all the interest in the Spanish Steps. Yes, it is pretty but with all the tourists and venders, the place is a madhouse. I guess everyone thinks they have to visit the Spanish Steps so everyone is there. The area around the Spanish Steps is another story. Narrow, quaint streets lined with outdoor cafes and upper-end vendors makes for a desirable location. The negatives; there are few real Italians there and it is not a very central location for the historic district. I prefer the Piazza Navona location. It is very central and truly walking distance to most of the historic sights. In the evening, it is filled with surprise! Italians. There are shopping areas nearby where the Italians actually shop. There are also lots of reasonable restaurants and cafe's. I would go for this area hands down.
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 08:06 AM

Another vote for Piazza Navona: full of retaurants and cafes, most of them frequented by many Romans as well as many tourists.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Chatters

I thought the Spanish Steps area was kind of noisy, crowded with the younger crowd. It is convenient for shopping the Italian brands, but I was so glad to go back every night to Hotel Genio, two blocks from Piazza Navona and 12-min walk to the Vatican.

Old Aug 8th, 2004, 07:52 AM

Given your criteria (or even without it) I would strongly suggest the Piazza Navona area over the Spanish Steps area. Why anyone prefers the Steps area over the historical area is a mystery to me. To each his own, I suppose.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 08:03 AM

We have stayed at both over the past few years and Piazza Navona(actually near the Pantheon) was much more fun. You can always go to New York or Chicago for Gucci, but only in Rome can you enjoy the amazing nightlife that you find all over the historic district.