Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Via de Cappellari Apartment - Campo dei Fiori (Rome) - has anyone stayed here?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

Our family of 4 (kids are 15 and 11) will be in Rome later this month (first time in Italy). Has anyone stayed at this apartment:

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_cappellari.html

We currently have a reservation at the Hotel Santa Maria in Trastevere, but this apartment would save us a good bit of money, and it looks to be in a great location.

I appreciate your advice!

Carole
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:45 AM

Hi, I haven't stayed in that particular apt., but I stayed in another apt. through RealRome - http://www.realrome.com/propcappellarisplit-b.html and I absolutely LOVED the location. Via de Cappellari is just far enough from the Campo that it's not noisy, but so close to everything.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:58 AM

I haven't stayed at this one either, but it sure looks nice. Are you putting the kids on the sofa bed?

Like Barb, I've stayed on via dei Cappellari at one of the apartments offered by realrome. Less stylish than yours, though! It's a great street, great location--maybe a tiny (teeny) bit grotty if you've never been to Rome before and aren't used to cities. But really very, very charming.

Trastevere is pleasant, too, and I've heard good things about the Santa Maria. But if you think you'd be comfortable staying in an apartment, I'd go for this one.

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Barb and Leely!

I called Real Rome yesterday (talked to the nicest guy, with a British accent... didn't get his name). Real Rome doesn't have anything for our dates unfortunately.

So how do the 2 areas compare (Trastevere vs. Campo dei Fiori)?

What are the down sides to renting an apartment (other than the obvious ones... no breakfast included, no one to point you to sights and book restaurants, etc.). We have booked all of our Rome tours and have reservations for the Scavi Tour, the Borghese Gardens, etc.... so we don't need a ton of help (that I know of!).

The main things I asked for with the apartment were A/C, a shower, and a lift if the apartment is on a higher floor... this apartment is on the 1st floor, so only 1 flight of stairs.

Any other key things I should ask about when renting an apartment?

I live in California, but I don't know if our cities (LA, San Diego, San Francisco) are like the cities you mention I might not be used to, Leely. But we're usually fine with cities.

Any other advice is certainly welcome.

Thank you!

Carole
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 01:07 PM

Carol,
It is always cheaper to stay in an apartment than a hotel. It's a little late to be booking stuff though, so that may be a problem for you.

We rented a two bedroom with a queen and twin beds that was great for our family of four. Also the person who rents it does free pick up and drop off a tthe airport, which is so great.

Here is a link to it:
http://www.rome-apartments-for-rent....pellegrino.asp

And here is a link to my review of it:
http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/review.asp?n=1530

I have more photos if you're interested too.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 01:32 PM

Carole: That would be Tim Pearson from Real Rome and he is a very, very nice man. I am staying in another of his apts. in Trastevere (2nd time in the same apt) in Oct. To compare the two areas: Trastevere to me is a little quieter, although the apt. I am staying in is right on P. Santa Maria in Trast., and not all that quiet, but Trast. feels more like a smaller village. Whenever I cross over the bridge after a long day of walking, I feel like I am coming home, just more of a relaxed feel. Having said that however, I love the area around the Campo. It's lively, colorful, and I didn't find it grotty, but it is a very tiny, narrow street, which does get a little cluttered, especially after a Fri. or Sat. evening. If you are used to big city life, you will not be bothered by this. I am not from a big city and it didn't bother me a bit. Actually, it was all part of the charm really. Between Trastevere and Campo, hmm - for the first time, I would pick Campo, for a more home town feel, Trast. Hotel v. Apt. - with kids, apartment, hands down. More room to spread out, you can make breakfasts, lunches, snacks and maybe a little more privacy for Mom and Dad, wink, wink.

Leely: that little inner courtyard at the Cappellari apts. reminded me of the scene from Lady and the Tramp where they are sitting in the little cafe eating the spaghetti - I thought it was SO cute!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 01:34 PM

Carole,

Strangely enough, I have also rented from Mauro, in the building wilwi mentions on via del Pellegrino, which is, I think, a shade "nicer" of a street than via dei Cappellari, though they're a stone's throw away from each other. Same great area.

I'm in SF too, so I don't think you'll find Rome grotty.

As for the Campo vs. Trastevere, I like them both very much. I guess Campo is a bit more central to most everything. I always visit Trastevere when I go to Rome, though. Tough call.

Downsides to renting an apartment? Well, I much prefer renting an apartment, particularly if I'm with more than one other person. I'm not the right person to ask. I've also only rented apartments from recommended agencies (here or on slowtrav). Haven't had any problems other than the occasional sticky skeleton key.

With two kids, having a kitchen is a great idea, even just to keep snacks. And there's plenty of good things to buy around there. Including wine for the parents.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 01:38 PM

Barb,
Were they ever having dinner in the courtyard when you were there? I agree, adorable. Also, down the way on Cappellari there was a family that brought their table and chairs and ate outside every night. My sister and I thought it was a restaurant and almost tried to reserve!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 01:52 PM

I know what you mean by that street maybe being a little iffy to some people. I loved it. There were a couple of restaurants that looked interesting, one I think was called Lucifer? very intriguing. I would have loved to try it, but the Divas unfortunately were a little picky, ha. There was also a couple of little wood shops along there too. No, dinners on the courtyard, but I took a ton of pics for future paintings. We also took advantage of the clothes line and there was just something special about coming home to our little apt. and seeing our undies blowing in the breeze in the middle of Rome!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 02:03 PM

Ohhh, the Divas. Now I remember your trip report.

Carole, Cappellari is very nice; no need to worry. It's just that sometimes on this board I read people's reports and they say "Paris is SO dirty," or "Rome has SO much grafitti," or something, and I think, Huh? I didn't notice anything.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again!

wliwl - I sent an email regarding the apartment you recommend... so we'll see if it's available at this late date.

We always have a great hotel as our back-up... but when I started looking at how the costs are adding up (our trip is 25 days) I decided to start seeing if I could "trim" where possible! An apartment seems to be a good way to do this.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:23 PM

cawhite, I think you have hit the nail on the head as far as objections to an apartment, no breakfast included (very minor in my opinion) and nobody to point you in the right direction. It doesn't sound as though this would bother you either, so an apartment would be great for you, especially with kids, for all the reasons mentioned above.

I stayed in one just off Via d. Pellegrino, in fact, I think it ran between Pellegrino and Cappellari. It was a bit noisy, but not bad, and you sure can't beat the location, not far from Piazza Navona, close to bus stops. I can't comment on Cappellari specifically, but If it will save you quite a bit of money, I think it would be worth it.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks SusanP!

wliwl - This is all Mauro has available for my dates:

http://www.rome-apartments-for-rent....reginella1.asp

I think the one I listed in my original post looks a little nicer on the inside... but can anyone help me with information about this other location? It's further South / East, seems to be less centrally located, and is €20 per night more. On the map below it's the left red dot over "Tiber Island".

http://www.rome-apartments-for-rent.it/mappa.asp

Thanks!

Carole
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 07:24 AM

Well, personally, with two kids 15 and 11 I'd be looking for better bedding arrangements than a pull out sofa.

If you are interested in that apt. try posting the address of it in the title of a post on here and on slowtrav.com. You might find someone who has rented it. Also check slowtrav for any possible reviews of it.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

wliwl - I too, prefer a 2 br... but the ones I have liked are booked at this very late date. I thought maybe we could swing it for 3 days with a sofabed... but you're probably right.

I have done searches on slowtrav but since I don't (yet) have the exact address on Via de Cappellari, I can't find any reviews. I found other reviews of apartments on that street, but I can tell they are for different apartments based on the reviews.

Well, we still have our fallback plan... the Hotel Santa Maria.

I'll keep looking!

Carole
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 09:10 AM

That one on Reginella isn't quite as good a location, but it's certainly not bad. It's right by the Turtle Fountain, although when I was there at the end of March, the fountain was completely surrounded by walls due to renovation. Don't know if that is finished.

If it were me, I would prefer the Cappellari one, as long as you don't think a little noise will bother you. I'm assuming there might be a little, since it's so close to where I stayed.