Vesailles to Chartres via RER

Sep 6th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Vesailles to Chartres via RER

I would like to know the best wat to travel from Versailles to Chartres by RER rail?
Also what website is where I can get the train schedule?
Thank you,
Mike
Sep 7th, 2003, 02:21 AM

hi mike,

Versailles to Chartres

there is no RER train to chartres. you have to change from an RER train to an SNCF train.

god knows, from experience, there was no easy way to find this information out on the web, if you do not know what you are doing. the ratf(paris metro) site does not recognize the term chartres in its destination box...no matter how hard you try. even getting from paris to versaille can be confusing. (I saw your other post).

first before I forget, do not try to go to chartres on a sunday or mondy. the church has services on sunday and most of the shops in the town are closed on monday. (we didn't know and went on a monday).

from paris take the RER "C" train to the Gare de Versaille Rive Gauche Chateau. I can not remember if there is a change or not. Be specific about the station and train though, because there are several versaille stations and not all of them connect together. this station is right around the corner from the chateau.

Now, there is no direct train from chateau of versailles station to chartres. If you want to do it all by train, you have to change stations/trains a couple of times to get from there to the versaille-chantiers station. The Versaille-chantiers station has a direct train to Chartres.

I know we tried this in 2001. originally, our plan was to go to versaille in the early morning and tour the palace and gardens, then around noon, head to chartres for the rest of the day. to us this seemed extremely doable, but the train iteniary kept getting in the way. and because it was so confusing we ended up splitting this into two days so that we could take a direct train to chartres from paris.

When you type in a route at the sncf.com site versailles chateau to chartres, you get to the best of my knowledge the following iteniary:

In versailles start by taking a train from the train station around the corner of the chateau called:

GARE DE VERSAILLES RIVE GAUCHE CHATEAU
from here Take the
RER "C" "JILL dir. GARE DE JUVISY")
Get off at the station called
GARE DE VIROFLAY RIVE GAUCHE(5 minutes)

At the train station called:
GARE DE VIROFLAY RIVE GAUCHE
take a SNCF train called
MEPU dir. GARE DE MANTES LA JOLIE
Get off at the station called:
GARE DE VERSAILLES CHANTIERS(3 minutes)

At the station called:
GARE DE VERSAILLES CHANTIERS
Take a SNCF Train called
SNCF #62503 dir. GARE DE CHARTRES
GET OFF at station called
GARE DE CHARTRES (about 50 minutes)

This may change from day to day and this is from a example at the sncf.com site route finder for a day in october for a trip to chartres around 1200noon.

Don't let the "dir" after each train name fool you, that is simply the direction the train is going, not the station you are getting off at. So basically you are starting at the chateau station and taking a train called "Jill" the "C" RER train, to a station called VIROFLAY. At that station you take an Scnf train called "MEPU" and getting off at the versailles-chantiers station. from there take a direct train to Chartres. to return to paris you can take a direct train from chartres to paris.

Now after going thru all that hoopla (I did that just in case you needed it), find you a map of versailles on the web. you will see that the chateau station and versaille chantiers station are almost within walking distance. Can you believe it after going thru all that other? looking on a versailles map, the versaille-chantiers station is about 10 blocks southeast of the chateau station. my sugguestion would be rather than going thru all that hoopla, which the sncf site says to do, I would walk or take a bus or taxi direct to the gare de versaille chantiers and just get a ticket direct to chartres. go ahead and purchase a round trip with the return going back to paris if that is where you are staying.

can you believe this!

email me if you want further links or directions....

Sep 7th, 2003, 03:55 AM
Intrepid

All the regional trains that start out in Paris (Montparnasse) going to Chartres stop at the Versailles-Chantiers station. Simply make your way there from the "palace"..a taxi might be the easiest way, get on the train and go. If you are staying in Paris the return to the city from Chartres is direct and fairly easy..frequent service throughout the day.

Sep 7th, 2003, 11:40 AM

intrepid,

Can you believe what the sncf site said to do? I wish you had been around in 2001 when I was asking this question.

This is really true guys, and why I was so intimidated in 2001.

You cannot believe my "oh duh" factor when I saw the versailles map myself later.

Jan 3rd, 2004, 02:57 PM
pj

ttt
Jan 3rd, 2004, 03:26 PM

I don't intend to stir up the pot here, but I cannot see what all the duh factors and other stuff are all about.

1. Go to the www.sncf.com web site.

2. Take the English version if you don't know French by clicking on the British flag.

3. Plug in Versailles for one station and Chartres for the other.

4. Select your approximate starting time and date.

5. Click on Proceed.

Up pops timetables with Versailles Chantiers to Chartres as being about a 55 minute trip. With trains leaving frequently.

The best travel time I saw is 48 minutes.
Others are over 50 minutes.

I have to use IE to get the English version to come up. If you know French, then it is a moot point.

The trip back to Paris is about 1 hour and 11 minutes to Gare Montparnasse.
Trains are frequent.