Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train from Paris-Versailles-Chartres and back in a day?

Oct 4th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Linda

Is it possible to take a train from Paris to Versailles, then later in the afternoon on to Chartres, and then back to Paris that evening? Where can I find out? Is it even a good idea?

Oct 4th, 2002, 05:11 PM
s.fowler

You can take the RER from Paris to Versailles. The next question is whether the Versailles-Chantiers rail station is easily accessed from Versailles itself. There is train service between this station and both Paris and Chartres.

So my answer would be .. if the Versailles-Vhantiers rail station is convenient -- yes you can do it.

Oct 4th, 2002, 05:13 PM
s.fowler

Check http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en for the schedules.

Oct 4th, 2002, 06:32 PM
jahoulih

It's quite possible - I've done it. The Chantiers station was maybe 15-20 minutes' walk from the palace, if I remember correctly.

Oct 4th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Ira

You can probably do it, but do you want to?
Both Chartres and Versailles are lovely day trips.

If you can do only one:
The Cathedral at Chartres is a beautiful work of art. The colors change from minute to minute.

A picnic in the gardens of Versaille is an unforgettable experience.

Flip a coin?

Oct 5th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Linda

Thanks all for the advice. Depending on the weather in November, Versailles may or may not take long. I know I'd rather spend time in Chartres but if I just take in a couple of rooms at Versailles, to get the "feel" of the place, I'll be OK. However, if the weather surprises me then the gardens at Versailles are a must and then I'll have to make a decision. I'm still trying to navigate the reiseauskunft website and when I figure out when I can catch the last train out of Chartre to Paris I'll be able to plan. Jahoulih, I'm sure it was a long day, but do you remember how long? How much time did you spend at Versailles? What time of the year was it? Thanks again, Linda

Oct 5th, 2002, 11:33 AM
jahoulih

It was early August. I left Paris St-Lazare at 7:20 and got to Versailles Rive Droite at 7:56. I found the palace interior only moderately impressive, but the gardens were fabulous--it was a beautiful day, and the fountains were on. I left from Versailles Chantiers at 13:29 and got to Chartres at 14:20, in time for the 14:45 Malcolm Miller tour, which I highly recommend. I left Chartres at 17:50 and got to Paris Montparnasse at 19:01.

Oct 5th, 2002, 05:18 PM
john

Take the RER train from Paris to Versailles using Versailles Rive Gauche as your destination. It's the shortest walk to the chateau.
For information on all trains use www.raileurope.com Very easy to navigate and will answer all your questions

Oct 6th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Linda

Jahoulih and John, Thanks so much for saving me a lot of time. I very much appreciate the advice. Linda

Oct 6th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Bob Brown

There are 3 trains in the middle of the day from Versailles Chantier to Chartres. They leave at 11:28, 12:20, 12:43,
13:29, and 14:13. There are others of course. Travel time ranges from about an hour to 45 minutes. The train that leaves at 12:43 arrives at 13:31.

A couple of warnings, however. On my most recent trip to Paris, I took the train to Fontainebleau, and then to Melun to visit Vaux le Vicomte at night. When we got back to the train station in Melun, no one was there to sell tickets. The ticket machines required coins and we did not have enough money in metal form. Moreover, none of out credit or debit cards would work in the ticket machine. Fortunately I the same cab driver who had brought us to the station still waiting outside. He had enough change so that we could make the transaction.
Good thing I had tipped him well.

Also, at some of the small stations, particularly on weekends, scheduled trains will not always be posted. That happened to us in Melun, and I was left with a dilema: Take the slow train sitting on the track in front of me, or gamble that the printed schedule I had was correct and that the unposted express train would in fact run at the appointed time?
I decided a bird in hand was the way to go.

Oct 6th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Bob Brown

OOPS Make that 5 trains.
You can by the way read the French National Railways schedule, known as the SNCF, by logging into the SNCF website: www.sncf.com
There is an English version.

You might consider going to Chartre first and then going to Versailles.
When I visited Versailles we took the RER from Invalides to Versailles Rive Gauche early in the morning. Despite our early arrival, the tour buses began to arrive about that same time and the place was packed. I have heard thatif you go to Versailles, tour the gardens first, and then in the middle of the afternoon go through the palace. I have not tried it that way, but I know one thing for sure: The Hall of Mirrors could not have been any more crowded ever than when I was there.
It was so full of people that it was impossible at times to move forward.

Oct 8th, 2002, 10:05 PM
Kevin

Yes. It is possible. Since Versailles has a fixed closing time (5:30 PM Nov.), it would probably be best to begin there and then go on to Chartres. Probably the best routing would be to take the RER C-5 train from Paris out to Versailles-Rive Gauche station (approx.5?--40-45 minute train time + 10-15 minute walk to the chateau) to be there when the gates open at 09:00 AM. From Versailles you have a couple of SNCF train choices from the Versailles-Chantiers station. directly to Chartres (approx. fares vary---50-55 minute train time) The stroll up the hill from the station to the Cathedral and old quarter of the city takes approx. 10 minutes. You can check train schedules, fares and fare discounts through the SNCF web site at: http://www.voyages-sncf.com. If you are travelling alone how you work it won't really matter. But if you will be travelling with another person you might be better off purchasing round-trip Paris-Chartres-Paris tickets (simply get on the train and Versailles and then return all the way to Paris-St. Lazare) so that you may take advantage of the 25% off Découverte à Deux discount round-trip fare.
For more information on either Versailles or Chartres try checking:
http://www.chateauversailles.fr/
http://www.ville-chartres.fr/
While in Chratres, try to make one of Malcolm Millers wonderful tours of the cathedral (10?---approx 10:30 AM & 2:30 PM). For a lovely luncheon try Le Moulin de Ponceau, 21-23 rue de la Tannerie, a charming old converted mill on the banks of the Eure River at the bottom of the hill from the cathedral: http://www.lemoulindeponceau.fr/

Bon voyage et bonne chance

Oct 8th, 2002, 11:30 PM
lafrancaise

Both Versailles and Chartres are in opposite directions from Paris. Distance-wise, Versailles is closer but with both the palace and gardens to see, it can take nealry a full day, if not an entire afternoon. Chartres is a bit further out with less to see, but do factor in the distance. I split my day with Chartres in the morning/early afternoon return to Paris, then saw some local Paris sites (Montmartre, etc). Try to go see Fontainebleau - the palace that french royalty first stayed in, then Napoleon later. The palace is magnificent with equally stunning grounds. The best thing is, the crowds are much less than at Versailles.