Search

Versailles tickets in advance

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Versailles tickets in advance

Hello everyone,

I'm a bit overwhelmed with certain planning aspects. Appreciate any help I can get re:Versailles. Will have the museum pass. Would not prefer to pre-order online from their site as I dont want to be stuck with a certain date, in case the weather gets bad. Would very much like to see the gardens and Marie's home. Not sure about the musical fountain?

We have 5 days in Paris, from Fri - Tues. Leaving a full day for Versailles. Can't waste time by waiting in line to purchase tickets. I know Mondays and Saturdays are not the days I'd go. I'd like to leave Saturday for Paris Markets. But maybe a Sunday? it would mainly leave Fri and Tues. Tuesday is our last day in France. So we'd be stuck with whatever mother nature throws at us.

Thanks in advance
Old May 9th, 2013, 08:34 PM

Good idea to block out a day for this visit. Especially if you are traveling in tourist season weekends and Tuesdays will be thronged. Mondays it is closed. You can expect to spend time in line both to purchase tickets and then to clear security. If there are two of you, good idea to have one person do the ticket line and another get in the entrance line. It is a pretty fair hike to get from the château to Marie's Hameau.
Another option is to buy your ticket from an agent just across the street from the train station. There may be a one or two euro service charge but it is well worth it to avoid the wait. You will still need to wait in the security line, that is unavoidable.

Which markets do you plan to visit on Saturday?
Old May 10th, 2013, 03:49 AM

We were just at Versailles on Sunay, April 20, 2013. We bought our tickets online before we left for France, selecting the "Passport" at 25€. Here are my observations:

We arrived at about 9:20a, and the line of people who had already purchased tickets was immense -- took us about 15-20 minutes to work our way into the palace. I did not see any line for those purchasing tickets on-site (maybe it was much longer before we arrived, as the website tells you to get there before 9:00a)

The palace was absolutely packed on Sunday. The Hall of Mirrors was literally shoulder to shoulder.

We had high expectations for the "musical fountains", but were unimpressed when considering the extra cost. We did thoroughly enjoy the gardens and Marie Antoinette's "village", so definitely recommend you buy a ticket that includes the gardens and Trianons.

Bottom line: next time we would avoid the weekend and visit on a weekday, thus missing (but not paying extra for) the fountains.

Hope this helps.
Old May 10th, 2013, 06:48 AM

Purchase of the museum pass gives you entrance to Versailles and all of the grounds. You can purchase the pass at any museum in Paris or at the tourist information office. The passes are good for 2, 4, or 6 days so you can be somewhat flexible. There was no waiting in line to get inside the gates, but be forewarned that it is very crowded inside the palace. I found the palace to be much less crowded later in the afternoon after the tour buses had left. Perhaps see the Trianons, Hameau and the gardens first and save the place for later in the day.
Old May 10th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

So it seems we'll be set if we stick with a museum pass. Will take the suggestion to see the parks and other sites first. Will hope for the best and try for Tuesday.

@Seamus , still haven't picked a market for Saturday or Sunday. We're staying in the 7th arr. bordering the 6th arr. Researching that still.
Old May 10th, 2013, 03:37 PM

Ah, I see. Google will provide lots of lists of the market schedules. Given the length of your stay on this visit doubt you will be stocking up on fresh produce but it is fun to stroll the stalls.

I really like the Marché des Enfants Rouges on rue de Bretagne which is less a farmers' market than a food grazer paradise - all sorts of prepared food available and some places to sit down and savor. Toward the back there is a stall where a gentleman named Alain makes a legendary wrap. The neighborhood is sort of bobo but quite pleasant.