Giverny and Versaille Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to Paris next month and was wondering if it is worth it to purchase some tickets in advance. The Giverny ticket online is slightly more and gives you entry at the group entrance. Are the lines there that bad at 9:00 am and wouldn't the group entrance be filled with tours? I was also contemplating whether it would be less crowded there later in the afternoon on a Friday? Also, do the Versaille Garden Spectacle tickets ever sell out? This forum has been such a valuable resource in our planning. Thanks.
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:08 AM

I went to Giverny twice(once took my calssmates on Labour day weekened May 2) this month, if you don't go on the weekend, the line won't be too bad, early morning shall be better.

For Versailles garden tickets, you could easily pruchase at a shop accross street not far near RER station. There seems no limit of the amount of tickets.
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:18 AM

I went in summer and didn't buy one in advance and don't remember any horrific line. Yes, I remember a line, but nothing like waiting an hour or more. I don't think most group tours get there at 9 am, actually, they arrive later, I believe, so I don't think there would be that bad a line at 9 am (pure speculation, I admit).

I would think it would be less crowded in the morning than any afternoon because, for one thing, one of the only trains that arrives comes around 1 pm, so a lot of folks are there in the afternoon (assuming you take a nonstop train, there are only a couple all day that get you there at a possible time for that visit -- one around 9 am and then the one around 1 pm arrival).
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:05 AM

The Versaille garden tickets are also sold in kiosks just beyond the palace, at the entrance to the garden--so if you aren't going in the palace or don't need a ticket because you have already have a Paris Museum Pass--you can bypass the main ticket line for the palace.

We were there for the Eaux Spectacles on earlier this month on VE day--state holiday--and walked right up to the booth. Since the gardens are enormous, I can't imagine that they sell out. Interestingly, most of the locals seemed to be enjoying the spectacle from the grounds just beyond the Apollo statue and thus weren't required to pay. There is no garden ticket required for the Grand Canal, bike paths, or boats even during the spectacles.
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:41 AM

We went to Giverny last May. We bought our tickets the day before for the early train and the line was about 40 minutes. The next morning we noticed the line would have also been about 40 minutes. There was also a long line for the bus connection and the line at Giverny to buy tickets was about 1 hour. Giverny was worth every minute and more.
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:40 AM

I went to Giverny on weekend in summer. I did not have to wait in a queue to get in.

I took a train from Paris arriving in Vernon just around the opening time. Instead of waiting for the bus along with all other passengers off the train, I brisked my way to the a few taxis waiting outside. I got to Giverny just after the opening time ahead of all tour buses and those who waiting for the bus from Vernon to Giverny. By the time I got out of the garden, there was a long queue and the parking lots were full of tour buses.